Robert Koda K160 Amps are on their way finally!

nickif

May 17, 2013
Big congrats Amadeus! I'm using K70 and saving up for the K160, appreciate if you could share your comparison between the two as you are the only one who's upgrading to K160 from K70 I know.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ciao Flamenko
You have Koda 10,so you also can buy K 160 so we can listen in Italy
Ciao
Gian

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
It has been a month since I got the Robert Koda K160 Monos after installing them i started burning them gently (cooking) for two weeks, the first two weeks on "normal power", after two weeks in "high power" mode and in the third third week I received my new power cords from wall two power strip and from power strip to K160 s first day when I installed the new Stealth Audio power cords the sound was spectacular at the picks that's possible in terms of dynamic contrast explosive potential in complex passages of Symphonic Music and Jazz specially well recorded Big Band music such as very good LPs from Duke Ellington Band or Johny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn or lets say CSO Conducted by Fritz Reiner Mussorgsky pictures at a exhibition... But on the second and third day the sound collapsed and became restless and days following the sound was changing all the day from bright to dark and cliché fright of every (experienced) Audiophile who know that cables and electronics sound very good from the start mostly and sound can turn into worst in a few days but it comes always better than it has started.

Know a month later last three days sound became stable no changes anymore maybe very micro in the coming few weeks but no big jumps and sound character and first time i feel i can write my findings on this master pieces.

For me the low and is very important its the foundation of music when Bass is not powerful fast articulated and in correct size whit the rest of the sound spectrum the music will not sing and flow like water the first thing i notice about the sound of K160 is the Bass the lowest octaves they are very fast powerful tuneful but articulated the Double Bass or Japanese Koda Drums or Timpani of a Symphonic orchestra are all tuneful powerful and in shape of the rest of instruments in Jazz music the Double bass comes from down under deep articulated and just whit the perfect size of energy and tight but not overly tight.

The Midrange is indispensable for the magic of music the midrange of K160as at least as good as the best SE amplifier pure open natural warmth (not tubby).The Midrange resolution on lower midrange and higher midrange is unheard.

The higher frequencies are lightening fast and have a slenderness that is full bodied the Cymbals sound like Cymbals you can feel the coper and tin.

The general sound is very very fast also the resolution is unbelievable high whit out loosing soul and musicality.The K160 are the highest resolution amps that i have heard they are very powerful on High-power mode you got 220 watt of pure class A but whit all those characteristics same time it remains intimate and keeps the single ended sound character on midrange and that makes it in my opinion so special and different than others....

I must admit whit this amps in my setup i hear now more than before the shortcomings of my setup and room and feel that i have to work more on my room acoustics and fine tuning of my system because i am pretty sure i didn't got the full potential of this creation there is still so much room for progression and whit the K160 in the hart of my system i have a long road to go the K160 amps will not forgive when its not right but when its definitely it will please.....

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I must admit whit this amps in my setup i hear now more than before the shortcomings of my setup and room and feel that i have to work more on my room acoustics and fine tuning of my system because i am pretty sure i didn't got the full potential of this creation there is still so much room for progression and whit the K160 in the hart of my system i have a long road to go the K160 amps will not forgive when its not right but when its definitely it will please.....

Out of curiosity what is it that you're hearing that needs improvement because component wise you have a pretty solid system?

david

nickif

May 17, 2013
It has been a month since I got the Robert Koda K160 Monos after installing them i started burning them gently (cooking) for two weeks, the first two weeks on "normal power", after two weeks in "high power" mode and in the third third week I received my new power cords from wall two power strip and from power strip to K160 s first day when I installed the new Stealth Audio power cords the sound was spectacular at the picks that's possible in terms of dynamic contrast explosive potential in complex passages of Symphonic Music and Jazz specially well recorded Big Band music such as very good LPs from Duke Ellington Band or Johny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn or lets say CSO Conducted by Fritz Reiner Mussorgsky pictures at a exhibition... But on the second and third day the sound collapsed and became restless and days following the sound was changing all the day from bright to dark and cliché fright of every (experienced) Audiophile who know that cables and electronics sound very good from the start mostly and sound can turn into worst in a few days but it comes always better than it has started.

Thanks for the sharing! I've heard K160s several times with K15ex pre and Goebel speakers and this echoes my impression. They are lightening fast with lots of energy and super resolution, while the bass seems to be tighter/more controlled than my K70.
The K160s truly are one of the most impressive power amps out there.

nickif

May 17, 2013
BTW I've been testing Robert's MC1 phono lately on loan, oh my... what a beauty it is! ! After hearing every single product created by Robert I can confidently say that all of them are cut from the same cloth thus share the house sound from Robert's personal taste.

It is about control, (polite) manner, beautiful timbre, extension on both sides, full-bodied(bloom??) and speed.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

Know a month later last three days sound became stable no changes anymore maybe very micro in the coming few weeks but no big jumps and sound character and first time i feel i can write my findings on this master pieces.

For me the low and is very important its the foundation of music when Bass is not powerful fast articulated and in correct size whit the rest of the sound spectrum the music will not sing and flow like water the first thing i notice about the sound of K160 is the Bass the lowest octaves they are very fast powerful tuneful but articulated the Double Bass or Japanese Koda Drums or Timpani of a Symphonic orchestra are all tuneful powerful and in shape of the rest of instruments in Jazz music the Double bass comes from down under deep articulated and just whit the perfect size of energy and tight but not overly tight.

The Midrange is indispensable for the magic of music the midrange of K160as at least as good as the best SE amplifier pure open natural warmth (not tubby).The Midrange resolution on lower midrange and higher midrange is unheard.

The higher frequencies are lightening fast and have a slenderness that is full bodied the Cymbals sound like Cymbals you can feel the coper and tin.

The general sound is very very fast also the resolution is unbelievable high whit out loosing soul and musicality.The K160 are the highest resolution amps that i have heard they are very powerful on High-power mode you got 220 watt of pure class A but whit all those characteristics same time it remains intimate and keeps the single ended sound character on midrange and that makes it in my opinion so special and different than others....

Sound amazing.

I would be interested to know if you think the inherent character of the K160s are very different from the K70s or is it like a K70 on steroids retaining but improving on the delicacy and warmth the K70s are known for?

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013

Hello Ertugrul, many many thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. They must be very special indeed! May I ask how they perform in terms of microdynamics and vibrancy? Are they able to project the live like energy of instruments and vocals into the room, especially at low volumes? I think Javier (Wadax) mentioned in his feedback that they created a huge soundstage as well. Are you mainly using the Zanden preamp or your K10 G2? Finally, what amp stands are you using? Wishing you lots of enjoyment from your new amps and thanks again for the feedback. Cheers.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Out of curiosity what is it that you're hearing that needs improvement because component wise you have a pretty solid system?

david

Hello David,

I am very happy whit the rest of my Equipment and i feel privileged having them its not the equipment its more speaker placement little changes in room acoustics power strip or power distribution a beter plan for grounding small tweaks like feet s and other materials under the TT or Preamp beter vibration control....

Reactions: ddk

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Thanks for the sharing! I've heard K160s several times with K15ex pre and Goebel speakers and this echoes my impression. They are lightening fast with lots of energy and super resolution, while the bass seems to be tighter/more controlled than my K70.
The K160s truly are one of the most impressive power amps out there.

Dear Nickif (??),

I am very happy that you have heard the K160 amps and that you can confirm what i have heard is approximately a mirror of your findings!
So i have a witness here :p;)

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
BTW I've been testing Robert's MC1 phono lately on loan, oh my... what a beauty it is! ! After hearing every single product created by Robert I can confidently say that all of them are cut from the same cloth thus share the house sound from Robert's personal taste.

It is about control, (polite) manner, beautiful timbre, extension on both sides, full-bodied(bloom??) and speed.

Thats exactly what it is thank you for the brief and right explanation:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amadeus,

This is fantastic! How do they compare with the Mephisto which I believe you have owned at one point?

nickif

May 17, 2013
Dear Nickif (??),

I am very happy that you have heard the K160 amps and that you can confirm what i have heard is approximately a mirror of your findings!
So i have a witness here :p;)

K160 is on top of my shopping list, wish Robert could come out with a single-box 2-channel version of K160 though as the living space here in Hong Kong is extremely limited. Plus my Cessaro speakers can't fully utilize the power of the mighty K160s.

In the meantime, enjoy your K160s and do keep sharing your findings when you are in the mood!

Michael

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Amadeus,

This is fantastic! How do they compare with the Mephisto which I believe you have owned at one point?

Mephisto is great ss Amplifier it is mega powerful and has musicality as well so its needles to make direct comparison between Mephisto and K160 they have are in other price ranges and so is the performance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mephisto is great ss Amplifier it is mega powerful and has musicality as well so its needles to make direct comparison between Mephisto and K160 they have are in other price ranges and so is the performance.
Hi Amadeus...I dont know how i missed your response. Thank you! I hope you are continuing to enjoy your magnificent K160s! As you know, Absolute Sounds became the importer for Robert Koda several weeks ago, and my decision to purchase was then directed over to them by Robert who has been incredibly helpful.

I wanted to thank you, CMarin, Nickif, Jazzhead, CKK, Howiebrou and others who all kindly gave me advice regarding my decision on the K15EX. It truly is a special preamp, and I now have a better appreciation of the quality and particularly nuanced, incredibly low-noise, pure and powerful sound you are enjoying.

I really would be curious to know what happens in our system if we substituted the K160s for the Gryphon Mephisto.

Reactions: amadeus

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hi Amadeus...I dont know how i missed your response. Thank you! I hope you are continuing to enjoy your magnificent K160s! As you know, Absolute Sounds became the importer for Robert Koda several weeks ago, and my decision to purchase was then directed over to them by Robert who has been incredibly helpful.

I wanted to thank you, CMarin, Nickif, Jazzhead, CKK, Howiebrou and others who all kindly gave me advice regarding my decision on the K15EX. It truly is a special preamp, and I now have a better appreciation of the quality and particularly nuanced, incredibly low-noise, pure and powerful sound you are enjoying.

I really would be curious to know what happens in our system if we substituted the K160s for the Gryphon Mephisto.
Only one way to find out! Is AS bringin in the K160?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Only one way to find out! Is AS bringin in the K160?
Hah! I K-N-E-W someone would say that! ;) I am sure they would if I asked...but given how few in the world I believe there, I am sure it would be quite a long wait. That said, I cannot think of more than 1 possibly 2 other amps in the world (Boulder 3060) I would wish to hear besides the Gryphon Mephisto and Robert Koda K160s (which I just realized are also pure Class A Solid State). Lets get the Gryphon Mephisto back in from the shop, and I suspect I will very happy just settle down into pure music.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hah! I K-N-E-W someone would say that! ;) I am sure they would if I asked...but given how few in the world I believe there, I am sure it would be quite a long wait. That said, I cannot think of more than 1 possibly 2 other amps in the world I would wish to hear besides the Gryphon Mephisto and Robert Koda K160s (which I just realized are also pure Class A Solid State.) Lets get the Gryphon Mephisto back in from the shop, and I suspect I will very happy just settle down into pure music.
Or bring your Mephisto on a road trip and go visit Amadeus in the Netherlands. That would be an epic discovery.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Or bring your Mephisto on a road trip and go visit Amadeus in the Netherlands. That would be an epic discovery.

Yeah...just slip the Gryphon Mephisto in the side pocket of my check-in luggage...no problem! ;) Having watched 2 guys heft the Gryphon Mephisto out, I cannot wait to have it back and settle into the new system! That said, the Robert Koda K15EX has transformed the system with its loaner amp...i am utterly shocked at how much I am enjoying it. The CJ GAT 2 + loaner amp was strangely brittle but the Robert Koda changed all of that. Nevertheless, cannot wait for the return of the mighty Gryphon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing