Rockport Lyra

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Very interesting...do you believe in the principle of having custom subs designed to go with them to make them all-out flagship speakers?

I have never heard (custom)Subs whit Lyra s so i don t know?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Also i must say why some will pay 190K$ for a speaker thats shy on Bass and will make research and extra cost to correct the Bass performance by custom designing Subs.....
I owned almost all Rockport Speakers in the past and i really believe Lyra is over priced.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Also i must say why some will pay 190K$ for a speaker thats shy on Bass and will make research and extra cost to correct the Bass performance by custom designing Subs.....
I owned almost all Rockport Speakers in the past and i really believe Lyra is over priced.
Well...I think the idea is to go towards 4-tower speakers or speakers (like WAMM and XVX which have the ability but not obligation to go with matching subs) where it is clear that to deliver that level of limitless scale, dynamics and power are at another level.

For example, the REL 6 pack (6 massive subs in 2 towers of 3 each) ...is apparently transformational even to the mighty Arrakis according to Arnie who owns them...

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
I think the point here is that virtually all "full range" speakers can benefit from properly designed and integrated separate subs. This is by no means a denigration of the bass capabilities of the Lyra, nor any other full range main speakers for that matter.

I had the opportunity to hear the Lyras with and without active custom subs. The subs improved the bottom octave and much more.
This is by no means a reflection on the bottom 1-2 octave performance of the Lyras, rather it is a testament to the efficacy of well thought out subwoofer design and setup, providing the room can accommodate.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think the point here is that virtually all "full range" speakers can benefit from properly designed and integrated separate subs. This is by no means a denigration of the bass capabilities of the Lyra, nor any other full range main speakers for that matter.

I had the opportunity to hear the Lyras with and without active custom subs. The subs improved the bottom octave and much more.
This is by no means a reflection on the bottom 1-2 octave performance of the Lyras, rather it is a testament to the efficacy of well thought out subwoofer design and setup, providing the room can accommodate.
WOW...you have heard the Lyras with custom subs! That is fantastic news. A few questions if I may:

1. What subs were they?
2. Can you describe the differences a bit more?
3. In the end, how much scale did the combination provide you in comparison with other major flagship speakers (big Wilsons, Focals, huge panels)...did the Lyra + Sub end up (scale wise) equalling a big set of speakers...or did you feel like it was a true "4-Tower Speaker System" in scale...so more like an XLF + Dual Thors, or Gryphon Pendragon, etc?

Thanks for any insights!!!

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
John, congratulations on purchasing Lyra! Altair II is a great speaker but I find Rockport's unique cabinet structure used in the Lyra along with the wave guide design of the tweeter in Lyra and other models a real step up in realism and resolution from prior designs. All the best!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John, congratulations on purchasing Lyra! Altair II is a great speaker but I find Rockport's unique cabinet structure used in the Lyra along with the wave guide design of the tweeter in Lyra and other models a real step up in realism and resolution from prior designs. All the best!
Ralph thanks ! Arnie and yourself are welcome to stop by anytime !

Harri009

Feb 17, 2020
Nice John, I have seen pictures many times throughout the years of your system. Excellent. I picked up Rockport around a year ago. (Oklahoma dealer) no better music lover sound than Rockport as far as I am concerned. I think we are still a year or so from grabbing a pair of Lyra’s but are certainly on our lust list. Congrats. In the meantime have a pair of no.25’s to go with our Aviors :)

Reactions: jfrech

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

Its quite possible that Lyra + subs when integrated right will sound better my point is that when a speakers cost 190k$ it used to have a very good and powerful Bass already whit out adding subs.

Reactions: gds7368

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing