Rockport Lyra

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Hi, a few comments now that they have ~3.5 days playing time and the dial in process is getting closer to being finished.

1st, speed and resolution
2nd coherence and focus
3rd weight and warmth on the notes (1 doesn't always go with 3 from my hi fi experience)
4th transferring of musical energy - this maybe the most impressive trait of these speakers vs anything else I've heard
5th all of the above applies top to bottom in the frequency spectrum.

I'm not really detecting much better imaging front to back or side to side vs the Altairs. The Altairs are champs here and the Lyra seem similar.

The Lyra are just simply wonderful. As for some of us wondering if 2 smaller front firing woofers would be worse than 1 large side firing, the Lyra's win here, deeper bass, speed, texture, fine gradations.

It was hard to let the Altairs go. Just such an amazing speaker. Rockport's newer technology delivers a different sonic experience. I'm thrilled with the Lyras ! I'll post more, I am sure I have a few weeks more of break-in and fine tuning of placement (via dealer)
Congratulations on the Lyra!
I have been using the Cygnus for a couple of years. If you have heard the Cygnus, would be keen to know your thoughts how different Lyra sounds over the Cygnus.
Regards

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations on the Lyra!
I have been using the Cygnus for a couple of years. If you have heard the Cygnus, would be keen to know your thoughts how different Lyra sounds over the Cygnus.
Regards
Hi I have not heard the Cygnus. My dealer has sold a few Cygnus. I think what struck me from note 1, is how much more noiseless the Lyra cabinet is compared to my former Altairs. I suspect this is the major step from your speakers. This results is much better resolution and emotional connection. And your Cygnus/my former Altairs are really in the top heap already...

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca

Hi jfrech

After half a year of aging, can you talk more about Lyre current performance?
Especially the difference with Altair ii.
Thanks!!
Here is a correspondence I had with Jeff Fritz aon the differences between the Altair II's and the Lyra's little brothers, the Cygnus. I would siuggest his comments go doubly for the Lyras. I am very familiar with the Lyras and owned the Cygnus's for three years before moving to the Bayz Courantes.

To Jeff Fritz,

Does the new Rockport Technologies Cygnus replace the Altair II on your desert island?

Thanks,
Kerry Legeard
Canada

That is a thought-provoking question! I guess the answer might depend on the configuration of the cave on my desert island. In many ways, the answer would be yes, I’d choose the Cygnus -- I think it is the more revealing, more high-resolution loudspeaker. It still has the authoritative Rockport bass and the inviting Rockport sound, but is more open and transparent than Rockports past, including the Altair II.

On the other hand, the Altair II is no slouch in any of these above-mentioned areas, and also brings more low-bass weight and absolute extension to the party; these are not insignificant attributes, depending on the music you listen to. I suspect that in the largest of rooms (or caves), the Altair II would be the more commanding presence. Its physical depth is also a consideration -- front to back, it is far deeper than the Cygnus, so be careful with that.

Ultimately, whichever Rockport model you choose, you’ll get a super set of loudspeakers. Hopefully there is a dealer somewhere that has both models for you to listen to. . . . Jeff Fritz

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Hi jfrech

After half a year of aging, can you talk more about Lyre current performance?
Especially the difference with Altair ii.
Thanks!!
Hi I think my original posts still hold. Much much more resolution, more quietness, more communicative. I will say the Altair's bottom end was outstanding and that was a concern moving to the different configuration in the bass drivers with the Lyra. But time has proven any concern unwarranted. The bass is deeper, more tuneful, more prominent.

These speakers are just simply wonderful, effortless, and significant step up in every way. This doesn't make the Altair less, it's just Andy has really something special on his hands with the Lyra's.

Paret

Jan 1, 2022
This thread is a great example of how this forum benefits the audio aficionado.

Informative and comments made with class.

Too bad some other threads are hijacked and become negative bickering contests.

Thank you JFRECH for starting and sharing.

Your room is fantastic. Enjoy.

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Hi I think my original posts still hold. Much much more resolution, more quietness, more communicative. I will say the Altair's bottom end was outstanding and that was a concern moving to the different configuration in the bass drivers with the Lyra. But time has proven any concern unwarranted. The bass is deeper, more tuneful, more prominent.

These speakers are just simply wonderful, effortless, and significant step up in every way. This doesn't make the Altair less, it's just Andy has really something special on his hands with the Lyra's.
Love the Rockports … I have the Altairs , my buddy the Arrakis … The Lyra obviously intrigue me … they‘re Rockports !

BUT , how do you get them up the stairs !

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Piano movers

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Piano movers
Exactly. 4 big burley guys and 1 to tell them what to do. It was a chore, those guys were huffing and puffing....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
He who pays the cost, calls the tune.

Colekat

Sep 7, 2015
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
He who pays the cost, calls the tune.
.... just getting them out of the crate is a choir ...and I worry about the paint job ... but Rockports are great value at dollar per pound !

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

How are your Lyra doing after one more year?
Are you 100% satisfied ?
Any recomendations on the Amps ?
Top Nagra and Absolare are a clear best companions here , but I auditioned them with Gryphon and Emm labs MTRX. Extreme good presentation in all of them.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
How are your Lyra doing after one more year?
Are you 100% satisfied ?
Any recomendations on the Amps ?
Top Nagra and Absolare are a clear best companions here , but I auditioned them with Gryphon and Emm labs MTRX. Extreme good presentation in all of them.
Absolutely stunning and amazing. 200% satisfied. I have moved into a new home, new listening room. The new room sounds even better than the old room. Any good amp with great current and low noise. These speakers will reveal everything upstream of them and reveal any issues in your room. They are so at ease presenting the music but with incredible resolution, power, sound staging.....I am lucky to own them!

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Congratulation jfech !
Can you share new room pictures ?
Also , what is a size ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulation jfech !
Can you share new room pictures ?
Also , what is a size ?
The room is much smaller than before. I was like 25ft long, 18ft wide and high vaulted ceiling. This room is about 15ft deep, 16 wide and 10ft ceiling. All the treatments are from Artnovian. Some treatments are still a work in progress. The equipment is in an adjacent room.
IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

Paret

Jan 1, 2022
Very nice.

How fast do you need to go when LP side ends? ;)

Reactions: jfrech

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Looks great John! The set up is similar to what Ron is looking to do, isolate the front end and electronics. It will be interesting to see if you sense a difference once you adapt to the new room.

I just switched on my Nagra PL-L for some morning movies. It’s a rainy day out west.

Last edited:

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
jfrech,

I love your room and room treatment. Did you work directly with Artnovian or with a dealer?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing