Rockport Speakers - So any owners use third party isolation instead of supplied spikes

davros

Sep 4, 2014
Hi All

As an owner of Rockport Aviors, wondering if anyone uses something different then the supplied spikes to isolate/couple the speaker?
I’ve got hardwood floors on top of a concrete pad and these have me interested:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi...e-cinema-vibration-isolation-speaker-podiums/

Possibly even Stillpoints or something similar.

I do find the speakers sound better when the spikes are in direct contact with the floor as opposed to using pucks but unfortunately the damage it causes to the floor is not sustainable long term.

Cheers

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi All

As an owner of Rockport Aviors, wondering if anyone uses something different then the supplied spikes to isolate/couple the speaker?
I’ve got hardwood floors on top of a concrete pad and these have me interested:

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi...e-cinema-vibration-isolation-speaker-podiums/

Possibly even Stillpoints or something similar.

I do find the speakers sound better when the spikes are in direct contact with the floor as opposed to using pucks but unfortunately the damage it causes to the floor is not sustainable long term.

Cheers
Hi, I use the townshend audio seismic podium custom made for my Rockport Aviors, they are excellent. I have tried both Finite Element and Stein music footers.while the Stein are good, the townshend imo are better and provide more stability.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012

Stillpoint Ultra SS with bases under my 600lb Evolution Acoustics MM3 speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am a big fan of Ultra 5s for my speakers. However, if you like your spikes, perhaps try to find a cup whose sound you are happy with?

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I use what Andy supplied. IME, footers change the sound, some better some worse.

Dave

davros

Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for the replies.
I’ve been checking out the Townshend Isolation Podiums.
Hard to say what difference they will make on my non-suspended floors.
No ability to trial them first.

Can get access to some Ultra 5’s to try out.

I went through this to a lesser extent when I owned Magicos but that was with carpeted floors.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Why do you think you have a issue? Or just wanting to tweak? I suspect it'll be a mixed bag and you might be better off spending a buck somewhere else...

davros

Sep 4, 2014
Hi Jeff

That’s a good question.

Coming from Magicos, missing the bass definition I had with their sealed cabinets and mid bass punch. I believe some if this is room related as there is definition but it’s being masked by uneven bass response I didn’t get with the Magicos.
Also wanting some more micro detail and dynamics.

Lots of positives of course and no speaker is perfect, as I find the Rockport sound more natural and organic with a better allround appeal with the type of music I listen too (rock & pop). Just want some more energy and excitement at times.

Don’t think it’s the amplification as I’m using CH Precision L1, X1 and M1.1.
Digital is with a Esoteric K-01. The again, maybe it’s not the right match?

I do have some room treatment coming shortly in the form or bass diffuser traps and side wall diffuser/absorbtion.

Thanks

Dave

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Dave. (It's John btw) I almost said what about your room. I think your electronics/digital is great. Those Aviors I've heard at my dealer plenty of times. They don't lack mid bass punch and definition. I'm thinking it's either speaker placement and something room related. Given your investment, I might get a professional to analyze your room and get the best out of it via bass traps, diffusors and absorption. Another idea is what is your equipment sitting on? My Grand Prix Silverstone stands really bring out the bass definition, punch, and lower noise everywhere allowing more resolution. If you don't have a good rack, this might be another consideration.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

Stillpoint Ultra SS con bases debajo de mis altavoces MM3 Evolution Acoustics 600lb. [/ QUOTE]

Same configuration here

Attachments

• 3049DEC5-D7F5-4A77-919A-3B278DBE8946.jpeg
    3049DEC5-D7F5-4A77-919A-3B278DBE8946.jpeg
    623.4 KB · Views: 48

davros

Sep 4, 2014
Hi Dave. (It's John btw) I almost said what about your room. I think your electronics/digital is great. Those Aviors I've heard at my dealer plenty of times. They don't lack mid bass punch and definition. I'm thinking it's either speaker placement and something room related. Given your investment, I might get a professional to analyze your room and get the best out of it via bass traps, diffusors and absorption. Another idea is what is your equipment sitting on? My Grand Prix Silverstone stands really bring out the bass definition, punch, and lower noise everywhere allowing more resolution. If you don't have a good rack, this might be another consideration.
Hi John (sorry about the mixup on the name)

I’ve had my room analysed by a professional using REW and have a heap of treatment coming that includes floor to ceiling bass traps, diffusion and some side wall absorption.

Any of the panels that have absorption also have a diffuser on the front to avoid taking too much of the higher frequencies away, as I find the Rockports very natural in this area and can understand why some people might find them dark sounding (I’m a former Magico owner).

A friend lent me his Aurios Pro Isolation Feet that I have tried under the speakers. It did give me a cleaner midrange and top end in some respects but leaned out the bass even more and just didn’t sound right.

As of today, I’ve removed the hardwood floor spike protectors and have them directly on the floorboards even though they are leaving a small dent, it does sound better this way. The other thing I did was adjust the rake angle so the speaker is tilted more forward and this has helped homogenise the sound and provided more detailed in the mid to higher frequency range.

So many things I love about these speakers. In combination with my CH Precision equipment, it’s providing the cleanest presentation with absolutely no fatigue that I’ve ever had in my system. Will wait and see what the room treatments bring to the table.

Thanks to the other members for your replies too. I do have an option to try stillpoints, not sure how to put them under the speaker without scratching the base. The Aurios were designed for the spike to go into the top of them.

Cheers

Dave

Reactions: sujay

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Seriously consider Arya Audio Revopods. A set of 4 supports up to 120kg. Have transformed the fortunes of my Zus.

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hi John (sorry about the mixup on the name)

I’ve had my room analysed by a professional using REW and have a heap of treatment coming that includes floor to ceiling bass traps, diffusion and some side wall absorption.

Any of the panels that have absorption also have a diffuser on the front to avoid taking too much of the higher frequencies away, as I find the Rockports very natural in this area and can understand why some people might find them dark sounding (I’m a former Magico owner).

A friend lent me his Aurios Pro Isolation Feet that I have tried under the speakers. It did give me a cleaner midrange and top end in some respects but leaned out the bass even more and just didn’t sound right.

As of today, I’ve removed the hardwood floor spike protectors and have them directly on the floorboards even though they are leaving a small dent, it does sound better this way. The other thing I did was adjust the rake angle so the speaker is tilted more forward and this has helped homogenise the sound and provided more detailed in the mid to higher frequency range.

So many things I love about these speakers. In combination with my CH Precision equipment, it’s providing the cleanest presentation with absolutely no fatigue that I’ve ever had in my system. Will wait and see what the room treatments bring to the table.

Thanks to the other members for your replies too. I do have an option to try stillpoints, not sure how to put them under the speaker without scratching the base. The Aurios were designed for the spike to go into the top of them.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Did you tried that ? :
- try to put a full wood platform between your floor and your speakers (wood platform directly on the floor)
- but a wood with a very good density ; something as Plywood or "Bois de bout" (bois de bout = wood assembled from several pieces, and compressed .... = something in fact quite similar to what use the butchers).
cf example here : https://www.amazon.com/Butcher-Block-Acoustics-Isolation-Platform/dp/B07D25VWBP
The solution "bois de bout" has been my choise after many tests.
- the wood platform just need to be not too slim !
- and you put the spikes directly on the wood (no interface with something else)

It is something quite simple to test. Into my room and with my previous system (Rockport Atria and Pass labs), it has been an impressive upgrade for the the sound (more clean & more resolution in the bass frequencies ..; but also more natural & relaxed at the same time ... AND without changing of tonal balance ; which is the problem introcuced by many accessories).

I have tested many accessories : Stillpoints, Franc audio accessories , Finite elemente, Harmonix, etc ...
all of them introduced some positive things , but in same time bad things ... each time the global tonal balance was modified and at the end, it was not good.
Stillpoints & Harmonix gave the best results from my opinion.
But at the end, the best solution has been what i explain above.
I do not look anymore at any accessories.

Well, that's my feedback & advice :)

BR - David

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
If someone is interested in RevOpods, I have a set of 4 units 120 Kg, which I sell at 50%.

Attachments

• 80DE3947-EE96-444A-9550-903C36A4C640.jpeg
    80DE3947-EE96-444A-9550-903C36A4C640.jpeg
    721.1 KB · Views: 29

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Anybody tried IsoAcoustics GAIAs? A friend used them on Magico's and was pleased with the results. 2019-2020 EISA Best Product Award.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Dave - the Townshends will make a difference - trials a mate did whilst I was there used springs specially tensioned to support his speaker weight & the difference between solid floor connection - spikes et al - & springs was significant. The decoupled speaker's musical presentation improved - a great bang for buck investment. I have them under my new speakers & would not remove them. Whether you like the new musical presentation is an individual & personal assessment.

Reactions: sujay

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Hi Jeff

That’s a good question.

Coming from Magicos, missing the bass definition I had with their sealed cabinets and mid bass punch. I believe some if this is room related as there is definition but it’s being masked by uneven bass response I didn’t get with the Magicos.

Lots of positives of course and no speaker is perfect, as I find the Rockport sound more natural and organic with a better allround appeal with the type of music I listen too (rock & pop). Just want some more energy and excitement at times.

I do have some room treatment coming shortly in the form or bass diffuser traps and side wall diffuser/absorbtion.

Thanks

Dave
Which Magico's did you have? Interesting bass comments (I own M Projects)

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Hi Jeff

That’s a good question.

Thanks

Dave
Dave, did you ever get the bass issue sorted out? Your instinct was right in that most bass issues are due to in room setup, the speaker and the room need to couple together specifically.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing