Rockport Technologies Introduces Orion Loudspeaker

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Rockport Technologies Introduces ORION Loudspeaker - YouTube
If you have carefully observed this ORION introductory video, a horn-shaped sub-enclosure houses the midrange driver.
This design has never been seen in Rockport speakers.
Hope to have the opportunity to get further explanation from Andy.
That's an interesting catch. My dealer is stopping by today I'll ask him. I see the sub enclosure isn't sealed, as it has openings for my guess is the cabling to midrange and then above to tweeter...

Reactions: dandylinpsst

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
For Some reason Lyra is still a Flagship with no plans to replace it.
It is better in many aspects than old Arrakis.
Damstif 2 used in Orion is little worst then Damastif used in Lyra.
(Both statements direct from Rockport.)
Orion looks ok , but I strongly prefer Lyra look.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Looks like the "Pregnant" version of the Rockport Atria speaker retailed around 27500$ but the Orion whit few inches bigger woofer is 133000$...
To me the prove that Rockport speakers are going to a wrong direction and that prices are skyrocketing without substantiated justification.

agree. 133k really?

but they are not alone.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If I'm correct, the Orion's enclosure is quite unique, comprising of three components; the inner cast aluminum housing, the outer carbon fiber main housing, and the outer carbon fiber baffle shell.
This is not available in the lower models.

In HK, the net price of Orion is around hkd1M.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
agree. 133k really?

but they are not alone.
Lyra in Europe is 243 K Euro.
Orion is predicted 170 K Euro Because you have to add VAT . Crazy to pay around 40 k E just as a tax.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
If I'm correct, the Orion's enclosure is quite unique, comprising of three components; the inner cast aluminum housing, the outer carbon fiber main housing, and the outer carbon fiber baffle shell.
This is not available in the lower models.

In HK, the net price of Orion is around hkd1M.
You are all correct, it is very innovative, still better than cabinet used in lower level models,
but older Damstif Introduced in Lyra is much better and more effective than
Damstif 2 introduced in Orion.
Rockport flagship Lyra will probably remain on the top for a very long time.
If anything will be placed on the top will require tons of work from Andy , a lot of time to perfect it and will cost a fortune at the end.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Robert Harley of TAS PREVIEWS Orion Loudspeaker and talked with| Rockport Technologies President Josh Clark :​

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Great video!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Robert Harley of TAS PREVIEWS Orion Loudspeaker and talked with| Rockport Technologies President Josh Clark :​

Those speakers r really small and how much are they??

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Those speakers r really small and how much are they??
Yes it seems the goal was to make a smaller speaker at a smaller price point (133K) o_O.

They are supposed to give the performance right below the Lyra. I would love to hear them although that price is quite steep.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Yes it seems the goal was to make a smaller speaker at a smaller price point (133K) o_O.

They are supposed to give the performance right below the Lyra. I would love to hear them although that price is quite steep.

I checked the price in EU and is much worst, 165 - 175 K Euro , so close to 200 K USD in some higher VAT European countries !

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I checked the price in EU and is much worst, 165 - 175 K Euro , so close to 200 K USD in some higher VAT European countries !
All you Europeans are into horns anyway. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All you Europeans are into horns anyway. :)
The Boulder 3010 preamp is $130,000 retail in the US. It is £165,000 retail in the UK which is around $200,000 at today's exchange rate (which is on the low side...meaning on a more normalized exchange rate if the Sterling price remained, it would be closer to $220,000). I think the same applies to the Rockports.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Boulder 3010 preamp is $130,000 retail in the US. It is £165,000 retail in the UK which is around $200,000 at today's exchange rate (which is on the low side...meaning on a more normalized exchange rate if the Sterling price remained, it would be closer to $220,000). I think the same applies to the Rockports.
Just checked...retail of Rockport Lyra is $190,000 vs here at £210,000 or approximately $254,000 so not quite so extreme.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If 64 K USD difference is not extreme , I am not sure what is ?
I hear you! 'not SO extreme' was simply illustrating that the Boulder pricing is even more extreme in the UK vs US. In the post above, the Boulder preamp is LESS expensive than the Lyra in the US...but $70K USD more expensive in the UK...so that was the more extreme example I was referring to. The Boulder difference is 54% vs Rockport at 'only' 34%.

Reactions: Kris

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Don't forget to add EU VAT (typically 20-25%), custom fees and shipping costs (which are substantial these days) when importing from the US. This closes the gap significantly.

As importers of several brands from the US (incl. Rockport and Boulder) we never add more than what's absolutely needed to cover the costs mentioned above to the retail prices here.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

• Love
Reactions: Johan K and CKKeung

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You are all correct, it is very innovative, still better than cabinet used in lower level models,
but older Damstif Introduced in Lyra is much better and more effective than
Damstif 2 introduced in Orion.
Rockport flagship Lyra will probably remain on the top for a very long time.
If anything will be placed on the top will require tons of work from Andy , a lot of time to perfect it and will cost a fortune at the end.
Can I ask how you know how the different cabinet design / material makes a difference in sonics?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
agree. 133k really?

but they are not alone.
I like the tonality and quality of Rockports, but I agree, $133K for 3 drivers / 3 way is steep. For example, the Alex V is about the same price and includes an MTM + 2: woofers (10.5" + 12.5", significantly more bass surface area) = 3.5 way with an equally massive cabinet of boutique material. The Vivid Giya has 2: ~12" woofers (again much more bass surface area) and 3 drivers covering 200Hz - 20K+ = 4 - way and incredibly effortless (each driver delivers 2 octaves except the bass) at ~ $30+K less.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing