Having the temporary Magnepan system has been great, not only because I can listen to music, but also because it gives me a bit of experience with the room. The Magnepan system has been making surprisingly significant jumps in sound quality, and especially so after implementing Don‘s suggestions. Most importantly I think the room “sounds” good.

The Lampizator Baltic 4 is as good as hoped for. My analog-oriented friends and I have been enjoying listening to music!

The timeline on equipment coming together is subject to change. I am still thinking February or March.

Today the installation of the record/tape storage cabinet was completed.
Few things teach your more about speaker setup than dialling in a pair of Magnepans Ron… and glad the Lampi is doing it for you as well. Having the music flowing is completely the goal.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
The Maggies are" easy to play difficult to master'.

I used this method for one.
1. Settle on your triangle.
a. Distance apart
b, Distance form seating position.
2 Settle in toe in or toe out. That depended on whether you want the tweeter section on the inside or outside.
3. Place it within 1 foot of the rear wall. At the point the sound would be thin, and the image will be diffuse.
. Walk the speaker away from the wall at about 1-foot intervals. As you go away form the wall the sound will develop greer slam. The image will begin to focus. Keep doing this until the sound starts to become thinner and begins to lose focus. slowly bring it back to that sweet spot where the sound be to change for the worse. Just beyond that is your sweet spot.
This works for most dipoles. There are other methods.

Having the temporary Magnepan system has been great, not only because I can listen to music, but also because it gives me a bit of experience with the room. The Magnepan system has been making surprisingly significant jumps in sound quality, and especially so after implementing Don‘s suggestions. Most importantly I think the room “sounds” good.

The Lampizator Baltic 4 is as good as hoped for. My analog-oriented friends and I have been enjoying listening to music!

The timeline on equipment coming together is subject to change. I am still thinking February or March.

Today the installation of the record/tape storage cabinet was completed.

Thanks Ron.

I doubt you are at the point of being buried with your amps happy right now. However, in another six months it is easy to imagine visits from ddk will be the only remaining in doubt periods breaking away from a high level of contentment.

Thanks Ron.

I doubt you are at the point of being buried with your amps happy right now.

Someday I hope to compare the Trafomatic Drinas to the VTLs.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75
However, in another six months it is easy to imagine visits from ddk will be the only remaining in doubt periods breaking away from a high level of contentment.

Why is it easy for you to imagine this?

Why is it easy for you to imagine this?

In someone who's directive is listening to a small personally enjoyable selection of music as many times as possible?

Not hard to imagine after years of planning and discussion. Changes David recommends being the only anomaly.

Last edited:
Someday I hope to compare the Trafomatic Drinas to the VTLs.

Maybe the door is opening just a sliver on my question of making use of your room for reviews on M&S. Which was effectively contending with the effects of stasis.

Set a date to discuss this with the requisite parties.

Changes David recommends being the only anomaly.

I am trying to find the answer to my question in your reply.:) This is the only possibility I am finding.

I very much look forward to David’s recommendations.

This last month with the Magnepans has been very fun. I may not have any patience for comparing the sounds of duplex AC wall plates, or much patience for comparing the sounds of power cables, but I enjoy fiddling with the room position of dipoles.

After the kind and generous owner set up the Magnepan + subwoofers system, I made three changes which I was, and still am, happy with. Then subsequent listening sessions with other friends resulted in additional improvements.

It would be great to have a similar period of early experimentation and rapid improvement with the Pendragons before David arrives with the turntables, stands and power cords. On the other hand the Pendragons do not offer as much opportunity for fiddling, as there is no crossover adjustment. And virtually every Pendragon owner places the AMT tweeters on the inside.

So that really just leaves basic Pendragon speaker positioning (which I am comfortable doing myself), bass tower sound level and Q adjustment.

I suffer from a few kinds of nervosa, but, mercifully, audiophilia nervosa is not one of them. I like and appreciate all experiments and suggestions, because I know the sonic attributes I am good at solving for, and I know the sonic attributes I am not sensitive to, and therefore, that I am not good at solving for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda
Maybe the door is opening just a sliver on my question of making use of your room for reviews on M&S. Which was effectively contending with the effects of stasis.

Set a date to discuss this with the requisite parties.

This was never a question to me. I intend to use the room/system for select component reviews.

In someone who's directive is listening to a small personally enjoyable selection of music as many times as possible?

Not hard to imagine after years of planning and discussion. Changes David recommends being the only anomaly.
I am trying to find the answer to my question in your reply.:)

My reply quite clearly stated I find it is easy to imagine someone with a lifetime of experience, including direct industry participation, would - to borrow a phrase - Send the Clowns Through the Gates of Kiev enough times within six months a more than reasonable amount of stability was assured. Having come on the tail end of years of planning followed by the unavoidable and nearly insurmountable stream of opinions and revelatory recommendations / recollections to reflect upon.

At which point David's anomalous level of detail is believably going to produce the largest intrusion within that narrow upper percentage of stereo recreation we strive for. Since you are indebted to his manufacturing and prowess attaining the best performance.

Does anyone use headphones as tool to help setup audio ?
I do.

I use a pair of Noble Kaiser 10 IEMs as a reference when tuning speakers in my room. These In Ear Monitors effectively seal out the sound of the room while music is playing. Once level matched, I can pop the earphones in and out of my ears and instantly hear the difference between the source direct (IEM) and the source in the room (speakers). It's sobering to hear how much the speaker and the room color the source.

Reactions: dan31
A bit more progress. . . The record and tape storage unit is completed and populated.

3069805D-DDA4-4153-9B51-27A7718D667A.jpeg

And Mike Goppert’s fancy Timbre Dynamics cable lifters have arrived.

795368B1-5023-421D-A68F-8F2F75C10A6D.jpeg

A bit more progress. . . The record and tape storage unit is completed and populated.

View attachment 102939
So trying to talk myself into reducing my collection down to a size of the actual "10 records I actually listen to" as my wife says but get stuck when I actually sit down to do it.
Very nice set up!
Question are the cabinet lights hard wired or do you have to charge them, still trying to figure out how they did the wiring.
And Mike Goppert’s fancy Timbre Dynamics cable lifters have arrived.

View attachment 102940
Isn't the point of the cable lifters to keep the cable off the carpet completely or does part on and part off create audio nirvana? :p:p:p:p:p

Question are the cabinet lights hard wired or do you have to charge them, still trying to figure out how they did the wiring.

The LED strip lights are hardwired. (I would not want to have to worry about keeping 35 “flashlights” charged.)

Isn't the point of the cable lifters to keep the cable off the carpet completely or does part on and part off create audio nirvana?

That photo is just to show what the final, custom-design cable lifter looks like. I won’t be using them until the Pendragons are installed, because in the meantime they would just get damaged with all the moving around.

In actual use I intend to have the cables elevated above the carpet.

UPDATE:

Jim White is planning to deliver the beastly, but beautiful, Io around the end of the month. I will want to have a turntable/tonearm/cartridge set up to make sure all is well with the Io, and to play records for the first time in eight years. (I foresee being very frustrated if I’m looking at an entire stereo system and three boxes of phono stage and I am unable to play a record.)

So . . . I have ordered a Hana SL cartridge, a Schitt Mani phono stage and a Denon DP-62L turntable (total cost $1,750).

Keith is very kindly letting me borrow his Octave EQ.2, so I will be returning the Schitt Mani. Thank you very much, Keith!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Jim White is planning to deliver the beastly, but beautiful, Io around the end of the month. I will want to have a turntable/tonearm/cartridge set up to make sure all is well with the Io, and to play records for the first time in eight years. (I foresee being very frustrated if I’m looking at an entire stereo system and three boxes of phono stage and I am unable to play a record.)

So . . . I have ordered a Hana SL cartridge, a Schitt Mani phono stage and a Denon DP-62L turntable (total cost $1,750).
Very impressive JW the man to deliver. Exciting!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing