Now you just need to get a couple Carbon take up reels from RXReels... love mine!

Does the RX reel improve the sound, or just look cool?

What dehydrator do you use for “baking” goo tapes?

Thank you, Bruce!

Man oh man, this machine is a class act! Of course I’m allowed to push only about six out of 53 buttons.
I personally wouldn't even allow you to press those six.

I personally wouldn't even allow you to press those six.

As long as we do not press the red "RECORD" button most things are safe! When I play master tapes I always block the record button with a custom cap. Tapes do not have erase lock mechanism.

Does the RX reel improve the sound, or just look cool?

What dehydrator do you use for “baking” goo tapes?

Thank you, Bruce!
Doesn't affect the sound that I know of if your machine has a sorted transport. But, it is quieter when FF/RW and it packs the tape more cleanly.

The dehydrator I use now is just a Nesco that seems to be the standard for everyone. When I worked in the hospital, I got a surplus incubator and found the Nesco is just as good and smaller footprint!

Attachments

• 02951701033.jpg
    02951701033.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 9
The dehydrator I use now is just a Nesco that seems to be the standard for everyone. When I worked in the hospital, I got a surplus incubator and found the Nesco is just as good and smaller footprint!

That is the one I ordered! Thank you.

Doesn't affect the sound that I know of if your machine has a sorted transport. But, it is quieter when FF/RW and it packs the tape more cleanly.

Thank you.

Don’t bake tapes unless they need to be baked. Baking some tapes can harm them.

Don’t bake tapes unless they need to be baked. Baking some tapes can harm them.

Yes; I understand that they should not be baked unless they need to be baked. I am a disaster in the kitchen to begin with, so baking is not something I want to have to do.

A tape expert at Bernie Grundman Mastering told me yesterday all about how to figure out if a tape is goo and needs to be baked. Did you know that if a tape needs to be baked then that tape is a problem child for the rest of its life?

Last edited:
Yes; I understand that they should not be baked unless they need to be baked. I am a disaster in the kitchen to begin with, so baking is not something I want to have to do.

A tape expert at Bernie Grundman Mastering told me yesterday all about how to figure out if a tape is goo and needs to be baked. Did you know that if I tape needs to be baked then that tape is a problem child for the rest of its life?
Yes, generally speaking, the tape will need baking after a while as moisture sets in again. I normally bake a tape once and copy it perfectly and that is it. I leave it alone.

Hi Jonathan!

Thank you for weighing in.

Unfortunately I don’t have a second machine.

A tape expert at Bernie Grundman Mastering told me yesterday all about how to figure out if a tape is goo and needs to be baked. Did you know that if I tape needs to be baked then that tape is a problem child for the rest of its life?
Haha Ron, I vote for Tinka to handle the hifi and you to handle the cooking. What could go wrong?

Haha Ron, I vote for Tinka to handle the hifi and you to handle the cooking. What could go wrong?

I hate the kitchen. I cannot do anything in the kitchen without at least one of burning myself, cutting myself, making a mess. Most of the time two out of three of these, often all three.

Reactions: Johan K
Ron, I will be happy to make my own breakfast when I visit.

Actually, I know how to make scrambled eggs, and I know how to make sunny side-up eggs.

That is the one I ordered! Thank you.

Remember that improper baking can irreversibly damage tapes. It should be carried by experienced people or with their help.

I have found after "baking", a tape is good for about 2-3 weeks, if stored correctly. Yes, after that, gotta do it again! As Jonathan said, bake once and get a great copy!

I have found after "baking", a tape is good for about 2-3 weeks, if stored correctly. Yes, after that, gotta do it again! As Jonathan said, bake once and get a great copy!

I was told 125° to 130° for four (4) hours.

Reactions: Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing