But I'm the guy who wants the last Ferrari off the production line, not the first one.

I disagree. You were the first one to order AS 2000, the others did so after that, and you were the first one in your group and on the forum to order the Gryphon Pendragon, which as you said is quite different from other Gryphon speakers. You would have been in touch with mono and stereo and the Singapore owner, but that still qualifies you as early adopter.

Reactions: Folsom
Marvelous example.

The latest notion latched onto is "the ability to hear and to make out the words of one or more individual voices in a choir, versus an aggregated mass of voices that cannot be teased apart."

Hearing individual choristers enunciating each syllable during the Hallelujah Chorus is high resolution comparable to hearing each individual note in a chord simultaneously. Take it further ... even higher resolution is simultaneously hearing the individual letters in a word. Throw in some choristers singing at different pitch than others. Or actually hearing 'N' harmonics beyond the fundamental.

Is there a point when resolution no longer yields the musical content the composer intends?

"System X has more resolution than system Y" is not a judgement of value but a judgement of quantity. The analog of countable bit rates and depths for the pixelators. Whether X or Y is more realistic, which one sounds more like live music, there is a value judgement.
No it’s not necessarily an indication of which system will be more realistic just line an 8k TV may be less realistic to view than a HD TV…for lots of possible reasons.

I like Kronos looks and functionality in small spaces. I can't comment on the Kronos discovery as I have not heard it. It will be great for my cat as well as she has two platters to chase instead of one and will get confused to what direction she should take and therefore will just sit there evaluating and not going for it.

Seriously?? I love the look

Yep, seriously. It does my head in every time I look at it. Too many angles, crevices, holes etc. Imagine trying to dust the table.
This is not the simpler is better approach.

BTW - it's too cheap for Ron. He isn't getting the AS2000, so he definitely does not want a table Tang rejected for the AS2000. :p

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and tima
Yep, seriously. It does my head in every time I look at it. Too many angles, crevices, holes etc. Imagine trying to dust the table.

BTW - it's too cheap for Ron. He isn't getting the AS2000, so he definitely does not want a table Tang rejected for the AS2000. :p
Well it’s over 60K new now and I thought Ron cared about “What’s best” not what’s priciest. Besides, who cares what Tang got/rejected? I haven’t heard an AS2000 but what I heard from Kronos I really liked.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1
I like Kronos looks and functionality in small spaces. I can't comment on the Kronos discovery as I have not heard it. It will be great for my cat as well as she has two platters to chase instead of one and will get confused to what direction she should take and therefore will just sit there evaluating and not going for it.
The Dava would probably be safe in that case but she may have been tempted by a chewy mouthful of red sparrow…

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75
I would imagine that a visit to Mike L’s should provide Ron with some inspirational food for thought.

I would imagine that a visit to Mike L’s should provide Ron with some inspirational food for thought.

nah, Mike's tables are too cheap :) Ron needs to spend a couple of weeks in HK and Thailand listening to the big boy tables ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Kronos discovery 2.jpg

I believe the top box is a phonostage and the bottom two are power supplies.
Maybe someone who owns one will post a video -- not a show video or a manufacturer's video, a real owner. Ian is the one owner I know who is a forum member.

AS2000 TT PeterA.jpeg

This is @PeterA 's AS2000. Plenty of videos in his threads.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1
View attachment 111039

I believe the top box is a phonostage and the bottom two are power supplies.
Maybe someone who owns one will post a video -- not a show video or a manufacturer's video, a real owner. Ian is the one owner I know who is a forum member.

View attachment 111041

This is @PeterA 's AS2000. Plenty of videos in his threads.

Seriously Tim. No comparison. The Kronos is vomit inducing. :cool:

The AS2000 is cool.

Personally if I could afford the price of admission, I would probably go the SAT.

I think @TLi said it was as good or better than Air Force Zero.

Last edited:
Tang likes the Kronos discovery.

"I listened Kronos Discovery many times. It is digital quiet but has analog tone."

One of the AS 2000 owners in Bangkok has the Kronos D too, and another also has the Invictus. So anyone who wants to face those two off are welcome to go compare. Just turn up with some vinyl, knock on the door and start with "I heard you got a great system"". I have practiced this pick up line a few times. Even better, heard some music as I was passing outside, do you have actual musicians playing here?

Last edited:
Tang likes the Kronos discovery.

"I listened Kronos Discovery many times. It is digital quiet but has analog tone."

One of the AS 2000 owners in Bangkok has the Kronos D too, and another also has the Invictus. So anyone who wants to face those two off are welcome to go compare. Just turn up with some vinyl, knock on the door and start with "I heard you got a great system.". I have practiced this pick up line a few times.

Ked. I know Tang likes the Kronos. He also likes Airv Force1 and EMT, but he luvs the AS2000.

Ron sure doesn't want to end up with 2nd, 3rd or whatever best. :p

After all it the Whats Best Forum and Ron can't settle for anything less.

Reactions: Johan K
After all it the Whats Best Forum and Ron can't settle for anything less.

It's what's best forum, not "I own the best" forum, not "what's expensive is best" forum...which some people do confuse it to be.

From his videos I admire Tang's system.

You're a distributor, what turntable does Aires Cerat use to demo their phonostage?
Different ones...this year was Primary Control...in the past also Vyger, Rui Borges etc.

Different ones...this year was Primary Control...in the past also Vyger, Rui Borges etc.

These are show demos. Stavros owns the Galder himself.

It's what's best forum, not "I own the best" forum, not "what's expensive is best" forum...which some people do confuse it to be.

Ked. Ron is the owner of WBF. If he can't own the best why bother.
What do you think is the best turntable he could buy? I know u luv Vyger.

By this logic as the other owner owns Af1, that is the co-best. And Tang is not a forum owner and now, not a forum poster. Maybe TL1 can take over as the Board of WBF?

What do you think is the best turntable he could buy? I know u luv Vyger.

There isn't a best TT. There are bad TTs to be kept out, bad synergies, and bad arms and components, and there are good synergies. Once you get to a good synergy, multiple options could work.

For me, the most important is records. Any one with an averagely transparent system would have experienced how much the system sound changes from a bad record to a good one.

I found Vyger works best for classical and jazz and blues in SETs horns systems as they let the nuance through better. Not saying it won't work in complex systems, but my experience in trying it in such systems is limited, and maybe Chris at Rhapsody Dallas can demo that best through Pilium and Magico M9. I do know many owners with cone based systems including Wilsons happy with it, and the one cone system I liked it in was Sigma MAAT Vector with Koda amps, massive Stage 3 cabling, Dagostino preamp and Allnic 8000 phono, but those speakers are 8 ohms 100 db and simple corssovers.

I also find DaVa trumps tables, having compared the TD 124 with DaVa basic on 3012r to Continuum Caliburn with the Etsuro Gold. The TD 124 is normally much lesser in resolution compared to higher end tables, but here it was higher resolution. The owner thought the same. At Mike's my key takeaway was the DaVa, and I also appreciated the NVS FCL synergy.

Therefore I think the Vyger LT arm with Red Sparrow and a pivot mounted on it to manage the DaVa is the best solution imo to get two very different sounds that should cover all records and all genres of music. If one wants two tables, then they can have their pivoted favorite next to the Vyger with the DaVa, with the table of their choice. What the table is is less important to me, as to the fact that it has the DaVa on it. I have heard DaVa work brilliantly both in SETs horns and in SS cone systems. Audioquattr is moving his pivoted arm with DaVa to Vyger from his Techdas AF3p and I will get to hear that on my next trip.

I think Brinkmann Balance is a great table at a lower price than the expensive ones that even when not better than some expensive ones on X or Y or Z attribute, is a sufficiently good and complete table for the owner to be satisfied and to now focus on records.

Many audiophiles will be better off than where they are today if they got a TD 124, Garrard 301, STST Motus II or some such reasonably priced table and mount a DaVa on it.

The other thing is the signal path. Analogphiles get that if they had a great analog set up, but a digital crossover, their analog playback will be compromised. So they keep passive crossovers in the interest of purity. However, a step further is that complicated circuitry, crossover, and cabling is the equivalent of a digital crossover in killing analog nuances. Therefore I believe in keeping a simple signal path (e.g. First order crossover, very simple circuit no feedback amps, etc. High sensitivity and impedance matched, all drivers firing in the same direction (preferably only 2 max), time aligned). The simpler the signal path, the less is the delta in tables just by going up on an attribute. It is then more important the analog synergy set up sounds right as compared to doing more on some bass or treble axis, as these things get maxed out very fast in such good systems.

Last edited:
I will make a suggestion; Kronos Pro LE. Every room I have heard at shows with a Kronos were at least good (for shows this is already significant praise) to outstanding. When said rooms changed to digital it was like flicking off a light switch. Anecdotal? Sure, but surprisingly consistent.

Liberace, Cher, and Kiss decide to design a turntable….

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing