Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Trying to learn how to use this analyzer with my IPhone.

using pink noise from Tidal. not sure about the i-phone mic, or anything else either for that matter. Ron, if this is a distraction glad to delete it.

I think it might be better if we all put our curves on this thread, which I started precisely for this purpose:

My strong suggestion, Mike, after futzing with my iPhone for a week is . . . don't use an iPhone! An external microphone (I think the most important element) on a stand and attached to an iPad makes this whole process much easier and more accurate and more repeatable. I downloaded Spectrum Analyzer RTA for $20. I'm using an Earthworks QTC40 microphone on a stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K and five

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think it might be better if we all put our curves on this thread, which I started precisely for this purpose:
ok. i will move it when i get a chance later this morning. done...moved.

My strong suggestion, Mike, after futzing with my iPhone for a week is . . . don't use an iPhone! An external microphone (I think the most important element) on a stand and attached to an iPad makes this whole process much easier and more accurate and more repeatable. I downloaded Spectrum Analyzer RTA for $20.
i have a calibrated mic for my Home Theater set up (never used it yet) that is suppose to be pretty good. i'll try it when i have time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Even at 95dB the brightness seems to have gone away. It is, to be sure, a modern, not a vintage, tonal balance. It does not sound like the Bionor.

But now it is sounding pretty much right to me. Elton John sounds right. Stevie sounds about right. Carole King sounds great. Maybe the brightness was the ribbons needing to break in after all (as KeithR kept admonishing me)?

This is now pretty much what I hoped these beasts would sound like. I am happy!
You need to put up the microphones, take a breath, let the speakers break in a few hundred hours. then start tweaking placement to fix any big issues. until then, you're just driving yourself crazy for no reason.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
You need to put up the microphones, take a breath, let the speakers break in a few hundred hours. then start tweaking placement to fix any big issues. until then, you're just driving yourself crazy for no reason.
Ribbon break in is a thing. My Maggies took almost 300 hours and this design is even more ridged.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

This is not possible as long as he is there. He might need to go away for a few weeks and let someone come in every day to check it periodically. He could break the ribbons in with a cheap class D amp that he starts before he leaves and keeps a CD playing on a loop.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
This is not possible as long as he is there. He might need to go away for a few weeks and let someone come in every day to check it periodically. He could break the ribbons in with a cheap class D amp that he starts before he leaves and keeps a CD playing on a loop.
Ron has got to be Ron. no different than Ked being Ked. it's all good. no one twists our arms to read these threads.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron has got to be Ron. no different than Ked being Ked. it's all good. no one twists our arms to read these threads.

I never drive myself and others crazy for no reason

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
lol.

ok fine. agree there are degrees of things. we have some intense members here and are better for it.

I was just kidding around. I am not planning to request Ron to stop nor do I pretend to be not guilty

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I got a new driver and put it in the basement for a week with a class d driving it and a laptop running loops of music. I changed the volume 3 to 4 times a day. I then brought it into my room. Rons speaker is in his central house. Kind of hard to let it run on and on. He could benefit by a closed space on that floor he could stuff them for a week and let them rip.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
The SPL below 200 Hz is completely adjustable with the woofer towers level adjustment.

I should have evolved right to this set-up. I should not have spent a week futzing around with an iPhone app

View attachment 104690
Very cool-looking chair Ron.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
He could break the ribbons in with a cheap class D amp that he starts before he leaves and keeps a CD playing on a loop.
As I suggested earlier ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
But one can have fun and learn a few things along the way ;)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Is this some sort of self fulfilling prophecy….getting a bit Zen ?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Pokey77

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I could be characterized as driving myself crazy for the first few days. But as I reported, above, now I am happy with the sound. What is wrong with being happy with the sound?

Now that I am happy with the sound, I am finding it fun to correlate subjective sonic impressions with objective frequency response measurement. That might drive you crazy, but I'm finding it illuminating.

The first stage, for me, is over. I am not touching the speakers for the foreseeable future. I may play with thinner, narrower-band absorption panels. I want to look into Helmholtz resonators for the 60Hz bump. That leaves further loudspeaker re-positioning efforts for the future. I am happy with all of the electronics. The big turntable has yet to be installed. But the system has been successfully "hatched."

Yes, I had an early scare about the brightness in the 2kHz to 4kHz range. Russ heard it, Don heard it. Most importantly, I heard it. You may have been correct that the ribbons simply needed to break in, and you may still be correct that they still need to break in more.

I am feeling like hatching a system this complicated and getting myself to this level of happiness in two weeks is a successful outcome, with future improvements (such as 60Hz hump mitigation) due to basic woofer tower re-positioning experiments and ribbon panel toe-in experIments likely.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
He could break the ribbons in with a cheap class D amp that he starts before he leaves and keeps a CD playing on a loop.

Two actual Pendragon owners, Han and Grant, reported that they felt the sound of the ribbon drivers did not change significantly over time.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing