Good job Ron,
Always good to check… recheck, and then check the recheck to get everything right..

Very nice indeed - keep tweeking ? ;) !

All the best

/ Johan

Ron, is it possible that Saraswati is messing with you and moving thing around at night?

Last edited:
Ron, is it possible that Saraswati is messing with you and moving thing around at night?

Hmmm. I did not think of that possibility.

It is possible . . .

Any changes in your sound after, I'm guessing, you moved your speakers into a position of equal distance from walls?

Have the newest absorbers or diffusors arrived yet?

Any changes in your sound after, I'm guessing, you moved your speakers into a position of equal distance from walls?

I only played a couple of tracks, but I could not discern any subjective difference.

This is a contrary view, but I suspect that panel loudspeakers, with long, or with long and wide, radiating areas are less fussy about millimeter-precise positioning than are, say, box speakers with a single, small tweeter.

Have the newest absorbers or diffusors arrived yet?

No; the production and transit time of those absorption panels is a few weeks. Thank you for asking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
To remedy possible undesirable upper midrange energy/brightness on vinyl playback (which is heard less, or not heard at all, on tape) I increased the loading on the cartridge from 475 ohms to 243 ohms.

Decrrssed?

To remedy possible undesirable upper midrange energy/brightness on vinyl playback (which is heard less, or not heard at all, on tape) I increased the loading on the cartridge from 475 ohms to 243 ohms.
Ron,

If the tape sounds smooth, as you are probably aware, some alternative but effective TT adjustments could also include slightly reducing the VTA or sllghtly increasing the VTF.

And there are others in other categories.

Just don't want you to get bored...

Ron,

If the tape sounds smooth, as you are probably aware, some alternative but effective TT adjustments could also include slightly reducing the VTA or sllghtly increasing the VTF.

And there are others in other categories.

Just don't want you to get bored...

Thank you, Jim!

Ron, when do you get the AS2000?

Morricab,
A metaphysical audiophile question - if a device processing the signal with the poor sounding , slew-rate limited RC4550 and integrated circuits Dolby processors can make copies nearly indistinguishable from LPs why are we spending so much resources on tubes and expensive/high performance/ rare solid state in preamplfiiers?
Hi, the special, unique, tonal characteristic/signature perhaps ?

Carole King "Natural Woman" tape
Shure MV88

Carole King "Natural Woman" vinyl
Shure MV88

Last edited:
Important question: Does this sound more like what you hear in the room or less like it?

You mean the internal iPhone mic versus the Shure MV88?

I wanted to know if the Shure fits your aural memory of the real thing better or nou

I have never heard Carole King perform live.

he is referring to it Vs out in room feel

The MV88 better captures the resolution and transparency I hear in the room. The internal iPhone mic better captures the (warmer/richer) tonal balance I hear in the room.

I hate to put it this way, but the internal iPhone mic is a bit analogous to a warmer tube sound, and the MV88 is a bit analogous to a more neutral and more resolving solid-state sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing