PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Everyone should feel more than comfortable about sharing their preferences for gear, music, food whatever without anyone thinking that it’s some kind of attack on someone else’s other preferences I’d have thought.

I totally agree. Liking one’s own system and music and then sharing it with others does not mean you are attacking their choices in gear or music.

I think Ron was simply wondering why the song money and album dark side of the Moon are liked by others. I found that article and thought I would share it and perhaps Ron would read it and find some answers to his question.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I totally agree. Liking one’s own system and music and then sharing it with others does not mean you are attacking their choices in gear or music.

I think Ron was simply wondering why the song money and album dark side of the Moon are liked by others. I found that article and thought I would share it and perhaps Ron would read it and find some answers to his question.
Some of the music I like quite a lot of people aren’t drawn to so if I raised an eyebrow anytime anyone said they didn’t get it I’d be in permanent facial spasms. I’ve also said to a few who’ve asked me about horns and SET that I genuinely don’t feel everyone tunes in to them or they are a good fit for them. Understanding what we are looking for out of this and why some people resonate with some types of music or specific gear is probably more interesting than chasing down any ultimate rights and wrongs in any of our individual choices. It’s always a shame that this is such a long distance gig and more can’t experience things the way each of us do so we can perhaps pull back a little from talking so much about it and just experience more and enjoy sharing music along the way.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Some of the music I like quite a lot of people aren’t drawn to so if I raised an eyebrow anytime anyone said they didn’t get it I’d be in permanent facial spasms. I’ve also said to a few who’ve asked me about horns and SET that I genuinely don’t feel everyone tunes in to them or they are a good fit for them. Understanding what we are looking for out of this and why some people resonate with some types of music or specific gear is probably more interesting than chasing down any ultimate rights and wrongs in any of our individual choices. It’s always a shame that this is such a long distance gig and more can’t experience things the way each of us do so we can perhaps pull back a little from talking so much about it and just experience more and enjoy sharing music along the way.
Absolutely

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Bad mouthing Money and Dark Side of The Moon??
Not cool Ronny!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PeterA

rob

Jul 11, 2012
Meddle and Animals are great albums, also Wish you were hear. I enjoy them a lot more than Dark side of the moon.
The Wall sounds pretty well recorded on my system, very dynamic and lively.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I was thinking about the whole Pink Floyd on and off today. I look at how they phrase music and utilize instruments as far more sophisticated than most other bands. I also find The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Peter Frampton, Cat Stevens and many others to step beyond the music being a rhythm for a singer to overlay vocals on. They use the instruments to create a mood and tell a story as much as the vocals.

Just today a audiophile was telling me about a friend who has powerhouse amps to run his AlexxV. But of late he is enamored with his SIT3 or some low power model Nelson amp running them. This person was surprised how well they played together at reasonable volume levels.

If Ron is mostly listening to vocal music with rhythmic overlays, I don't see the need for massive headroom. It seems a few good watts is going to put him in the sweet spot and there you go. I bet if he went intentionally looking for issues or a lack of dynamics, he could find it. But would that relate to the music he generally prefers. Probably not. So why get spun up on watts if its not something that is going to limit the listeners genera of music.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If Ron is mostly listening to vocal music with rhythmic overlays, I don't see the need for massive headroom. It seems a few good watts is going to put him in the sweet spot and there you go. I bet if he went intentionally looking for issues or a lack of dynamics, he could find it. But would that relate to the music he generally prefers. Probably not. So why get spun up on watts if its not something that is going to limit the listeners genera of music.

I'd say about 10% of my solo listening is big classical and jazz. I'd say about 50% of my listening with visitors is big classical and jazz.

I definitely have as a goal that the system do a credible and convincing job on big classical and jazz. If I wanted to risk forfeiting the system doing a credible and convincing job on big classical and jazz I would get Absolare SETs (52 watts) or Jadis JA80 Mk. IIs with EL34s (about 60 watts).

But now you do have me reconsidering the pros and cons of JA200 versus JA120. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Eeesh . . . Now that I am back to thinking midrange magic I'm thinking maybe I should consider Thrax Spartacus 300B.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Folsom and bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Spartacus 300B versus Absolare SET versus Jadis JA120 with EL34s? o_O
Find a used VAC 70/70 and see if you like push/pull 300B sound. Not the last word in anything but not so expensive to get one.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Find a used VAC 70/70 and see if you like push/pull 300B sound. Not the last word in anything but not so expensive to get one.

I like that idea. Thank you.

How do you think this amplifier sounds compared to Jadis? 845 PSETs?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Honestly cannot say as I haven’t heard the Jadis SETs. I owned the VAC 30/30 some years ago and it was a quite good sounding amp. Probably one of the closest to SET sound I have heard from a PP amp. It also had a lot of grunt and was able to drive lots of speaker types.
The ultimate iteration of this design was the Phi 70.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

What are you going to get out of this except multiple amp compares, which will only isolate some amps and favor those better matched to your speaker and pre. What you seem to seek is a generic direction if you need to maximise In the direction of a 300b or some triode, vs the EL34, push pull power vs lower powered SET.

None of these compares is going to get you there and will only cost you money to try different amps. Comparing Kondo ongaku here with a VTL preamp on your pendragon will be a waste of Kondo.

If you really want to find out what 300b or Kondo or some such amps can do, listen to a set up optimized for those. If the midrange, weight, EE, and all those things important to you are better in that set up, change your speaker and electronics accordingly. The whole shebang.

As a proxy, you can visit Rhapsody Dallas and listen to Kondo on Diesis and on Alxyvox (ribbons), and ship your Jadis over before your trip to compare on both Diesis and on Alsyvox.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
What are you going to get out of this except multiple amp compares, which will only isolate some amps and favor those better matched to your speaker and pre. What you seem to seek is a generic direction if you need to maximise In the direction of a 300b or some triode, vs the EL34, push pull power vs lower powered SET.

None of these compares is going to get you there and will only cost you money to try different amps. Comparing Kondo ongaku here with a VTL preamp on your pendragon will be a waste of Kondo.

If you really want to find out what 300b or Kondo or some such amps can do, listen to a set up optimized for those. If the midrange, weight, EE, and all those things important to you are better in that set up, change your speaker and electronics accordingly. The whole shebang.

As a proxy, you can visit Rhapsody Dallas and listen to Kondo on Diesis and on Alxyvox (ribbons), and ship your Jadis over before your trip to compare on both Diesis and on Alsyvox.
Why would he compare on speakers other than his own?? That makes no sense what you are proposing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Eeesh . . . Now that I am back to thinking midrange magic I'm thinking maybe I should consider Thrax Spartacus 300B.:rolleyes:

It is quite flawed thinking that an amp which has good midrange, will produce that midrange if it is matched to a speaker on which it does not have good headroom and drive. You should feel that the girl on the guitar is opening her mouth, letting her voice soar, and the inflections in her throat need to be heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why would he compare on speakers other than his own?? That makes no sense what you are proposing.

He should on his own. But if he cannot swing it to do on his own speaker. Thought that was obvious.

And he shouldn’t compare inappropriate amps on his speakers and make a judgement about them

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Whatever you choose, I must say I am enjoying reading about the process and developments Ron. I wish you well on this journey!

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
what about theese
200w in pentode or 90 in triode mode
new KT150

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing