Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
You will just buy everything with "tube" in its name Ron ! ;)
That is a very insightful observation!

Unfortunately this thing apparently does not actually take a tube! :oops:

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is this instead of your active devices Ron ?
No. The AVAAs are great. I still would like a fourth one.

These new TubeTraps will replace the standard TubeTraps presently in the front corners of the room.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Research has indicated that as we get older, there is a slight hardening of blood vessels in our ears which sets up resonant peaks in the frequency range that is annoying- 2-4K and higher.
Yes, but isn't this countered by softening of the brain?

Reactions: Mcsnare

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just realized a question:

I have two room modes, one at 45Hz and one at 60Hz.

One pair of Helmholtz resonator TubeTraps is tuned for 45Hz and the other pair is tuned for 60Hz.

Part of the ceiling is 9 feet high, and the other part of the ceiling is 14.5 feet high. One part of the ceiling is causing the 45Hz room mode and the other part of the ceiling is causing the 60Hz room mode.

How do I figure out in which corner of the front wall does each pair of tuned resonators get located?

Can I assume that the 9 foot ceiling is generating the 60Hz bump, and that the 14.5' ceiling is generating the 45Hz bump?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

One pair of Helmholtz resonator TubeTraps is tuned for 45Hz and the other pair is tuned for 60Hz.

Part of the ceiling is 9 feet high, and the other part of the ceiling is 14.5 feet high. One part of the ceiling is causing the 45Hz room mode and the other part of the ceiling is causing the 60Hz room mode.

How do I figure out in which corner of the front wall does each pair of tuned resonators get located?

Can I assume that the 9 foot ceiling is generating the 60Hz bump, and that the 14.5' ceiling is generating the 45Hz bump?
These modes are more likely the length and width of the room related. You will get other complex modes taking the height dimensions. The length and width usually cause the lowest frequency modes as these are the longest dimensions

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The length and width usually cause the lowest frequency modes as these are the longest dimensions
Thank you.

The length and the width are the same on both sides of the room. The only asymmetry is the ceiling height.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

find a nice double bass or cello recording with lots of growl and play around with it. something that got too thick as you pushed it before. especially the transition from behaving to breaking up. see if you can improve that musically. find something digital to allow for speedy A/B's.

or measure.

or do both and compare results.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you.

The length and the width are the same on both sides of the room. The only asymmetry is the ceiling height.
Your room is a square? That is geometrically the worst shape for a listening room.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your room is a square? That is geometrically the worst shape for a listening room.
No, it is a rectangle. The front wall and the rear wall are the same width; the left sidewall and the right sidewall are the same length.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg

IMG_0642.jpeg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No, it is a rectangle. The front wall and the rear wall are the same width; the left sidewall and the right sidewall are the same length.
Ok, not what I was talking about. The long wall is likely responsible for the 45 Hz mode and the short wall the 62hz. These are standing waves based on your room length and width. There will be other modes related to ceiling height but it gets complex quickly.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The long wall is likely responsible for the 45 Hz mode and the short wall the 62hz.
So does this mean it does not matter in which corner I put which pair of tuned TubeTraps?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please also check for negative effects of leanness or loss in energy

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Please also check for negative effects of leanness or loss in energy

The new ones are definitely staying in the corners. The question is whether I want to play with diffusion side out positioned old, conventional TubeTraps behind each panel and in the center of the front wall, or just sell them.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
So does this mean it does not matter in which corner I put which pair of tuned TubeTraps?
Hmmm...interested to see what you find!

The standing waves created by the length and width dimensions likely coexist together rather than in a separate place. It is complex though and placement may make a difference. It seems to me that there is also research somewhere that says while the most dominate standing waves are said to be found in the corners that may not always be the case.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Ron, have you considered putting one of each type into each corner, i.e., the 60 Hz tuned TubeTrap on top of the 45 Hz tuned trap, or the other way around? What does Art Noxon at ASC say?

As for the old traps, have you tried putting them in the back corners of the room? (Honestly, I forgot what your room looks like in the back, if it even has such corners or if it's more of an open layout.)

fyrtom

Aug 3, 2018
Carole King "Natural Woman" tape
Shure MV88

Carole King "Natural Woman" vinyl
Shure MV88u

No doubt the vinyl's piano "banging" is accented. The tone richer throughout especially the mid-lower range. Her voice is very thin in both recordings however. I'd say I enjoy the piano much better on vinyl. Thank you for sharing.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, have you considered putting one of each type into each corner, i.e., the 60 Hz tuned TubeTrap on top of the 45 Hz tuned trap, or the other way around?

No, I did not think of this, thank you! This is an interesting idea, if there is no discernible area of greatest pressure for each of the room mode frequencies.
What does Art Noxon at ASC say?

I did not ask him about this, but I should.
As for the old traps, have you tried putting them in the back corners of the room? (Honestly, I forgot what your room looks like in the back, if it even has such corners or if it's more of an open layout.)

There is really no room in the back corners.

Reactions: Al M. and Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing