Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
There's no question that Ron's room is WAY better than mine. The width of his soundstage allows music to scale when it should and still sound intimate when it should. In my room, I'm limited in this respect and orchestral music soundstage is nowhere close.

Apart from that, I do think his system has more liquidity and presents more resolution than mine (the latter I'm guessing is the type of speakers he has). I was surprised to hear details I've never heard before in recordings.

And let's not forget that he has an outstanding tape source that supersedes vinyl and digital.

There’s just no way to get a point source speaker to scale up and down like a line-source panel speaker , you give up some percussive energy ( weight) on instruments vs dynamic point source but win everywhere else ..

Regards

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank you very much, Al, for taking the time to collect your thoughts and to write them up! Once again, I appreciate the discernment of your listening abilities and the quality and thoughtfulness of your detailed impressions!

I had a very fun time with you and Ian!

I'm glad we got to enjoy together what I think are a few of the better restaurants in Los Angeles. I'm also glad you and Ian got to spend some time with Tinka, and that you got to practice your Dutch!

Too bad Joni Mitchell wasn't there when we stopped by at her house on Laurel Canyon.

You are welcome, Ron. Your system is special, and left a lasting impression which I wanted to document to some degree.

Yes, we had a fun time! It was very nice to meet Tinka and also to practice some Dutch, which I had not spoken in years, but always enjoy to when opportunity arises.

It was indeed nice to relive music history in Laurel Canyon, and the food in your chosen restaurants was just great!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank you Ian, even Al has admitted Ron's system is much better than his own set up, no small feat, it must truly be excellent ! ;)

To admit that another system in a much better room is better than mine is easy, especially when it is as good as Ron's.

As I said elsewhere, I think I have relatively close to maxxed out -- to my very personal taste, that is -- what is possible in my room of modest dimensions (see my signature), and I am extremely happy with the result. I really do like the tonal balance and tonal density that it represents, as far as that is possible in my room without reducing other qualities.

Yet I also said that for the best sound you need a much larger room like Ron has (and I think there the high ceiling plays a large part). This of course further complicates gear choice to get the best out such a room, but evidently Ron has chosen well.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry to jump in Ron. I wanted to make a couple power comments.
It is possible to fight a utiltiy and try for a dedicated padmount that is copper with copper feeds from it to the house. It may also be an insurmountable hill. Many times they brush you off. They have a standard and that stone will not budge. Other times they say sure, your paying.

Once in the house, you very well can set a meter with 2 main breakers and isolate clean from dirty power. You can also filter the dirty side instead of clean side to reduce back polution. But, low level harmonics 1,3,5,7,9,11. Those all seem to walk right through any filter I have measured. Filters are much more effective at filtering high frequency noise.
Copper. I love copper. If you have a remodel going on and have the opportunity to throw out your contractor grade loadcenter and replace it with a all copper industrial panel, do it. That loadcenter is about $300. A industrial panel is $2500. The breakers are the same breaker so same price. I have sat and directly compared them. At least the ones I build out, have a very notable quiet and clean as compared to a loadcenter. There is a simbilance that comes with a loadcenter. My friend and I doing the compare said just changing the panel was on a level of adding a Torus. But different. Copper is not a filter. Its on the most basic level removing the galvanic reaction between dissimilar noblility of metals.
Branch wires. Just use 10 awg NM-B. Solid is way better than stranded. Stranded 10 is fat and tubby. Stranded #8 is too hard and edgy. #10 solid has good balance and is clean.
Grounding. The rod in your yard does nothing for sound. Disconnect it and see for yourself. Listen to your stereo and have a friend pull it. You won't hear a thing.
BUT grounding as pertains to how a panel is made up can be very audible. Just reworking a panel can create a very audible effect of calm and quiet. Other times not so much. It depends on the brand panel and how far off the original wiring was.

This is a hard subject to approach without ruffling feathers.
I have never heard a Torus go the wrong way. But I have heard noise in a system that creates a sound that can be perceived as pleasing. You get use to what you make. You may even gravitate to certain distortions and when they are gone miss them. I believe it is Ralph that has said harmonics can be perceived as dynamics. Get rid of that noise and you think its flat.
When I was building my system a dealer brought over a Ching Cheng type power cord and started replacing my "Audiophile" power cords. I did not like the first couple changes. It was correct as I heard in the end, but as a step sounded wrong. When he finished, the system clicked into place and it was hands down much better.

I agree with Mike. A Torus or Equitech are going to give the same affect. I don't think they are sonically distinguishable from one another. The difference is a wall mount Torus is code compliant. A Equitech is not. Either as a rack mount are compliant as far as I can tell.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It is possible to fight a utiltiy and try for a dedicated padmount that is copper with copper feeds from it to the house. It may also be an insurmountable hill. Many times they brush you off. They have a standard and that stone will not budge. Other times they say sure, your paying.

Once in the house, you very well can set a meter with 2 main breakers and isolate clean from dirty power. You can also filter the dirty side instead of clean side to reduce back polution. But, low level harmonics 1,3,5,7,9,11. Those all seem to walk right through any filter I have measured. Filters are much more effective at filtering high frequency noise.
Copper. I love copper. If you have a remodel going on and have the opportunity to throw out your contractor grade loadcenter and replace it with a all copper industrial panel, do it. That loadcenter is about $300. A industrial panel is $2500. The breakers are the same breaker so same price. I have sat and directly compared them. At least the ones I build out, have a very notable quiet and clean as compared to a loadcenter. There is a simbilance that comes with a loadcenter. My friend and I doing the compare said just changing the panel was on a level of adding a Torus. But different. Copper is not a filter. Its on the most basic level removing the galvanic reaction between dissimilar noblility of metals.
Branch wires. Just use 10 awg NM-B. Solid is way better than stranded. Stranded 10 is fat and tubby. Stranded #8 is too hard and edgy. #10 solid has good balance and is clean.
Grounding. The rod in your yard does nothing for sound. Disconnect it and see for yourself. Listen to your stereo and have a friend pull it. You won't hear a thing.
BUT grounding as pertains to how a panel is made up can be very audible. Just reworking a panel can create a very audible effect of calm and quiet. Other times not so much. It depends on the brand panel and how far off the original wiring was.

I have never heard a Torus go the wrong way. But I have heard noise in a system that creates a sound that can be perceived as pleasing. You get use to what you make. You may even gravitate to certain distortions and when they are gone miss them. I believe it is Ralph that has said harmonics can be perceived as dynamics. Get rid of that noise and you think its flat.
When I was building my system a dealer brought over a Ching Cheng type power cord and started replacing my "Audiophile" power cords. I did not like the first couple changes. It was correct as I heard in the end, but as a step sounded wrong. When he finished, the system clicked into place and it was hands down much better.

I agree with Mike. A Torus or Equitech are going to give the same affect. I don't think they are sonically distinguishable from one another. The difference is a wall mount Torus is code compliant. A Equitech is not. Either as a rack mount are compliant as far as I can tell.
You mentioned electronics harmonic distortion enhancing dynamics. The implication there is that at higher power draws, the amp will start to produce audible levels that boost this dynamics perception. But what about at low levels? I have found that SETs, for example, are more dynamic sounding even at low volumes where their harmonic distortion is low and completely innocuous. My point is that not all of the dynamic perception can be this distortion effect. Also, even if cleaning power and reducing distortion is technically "correct" ,if it lessens the emotional engagement of the music, is it a net benefit to the listener? BTW, I use a power regenerator and I find that it has only positive benefits. I have tried filters and some help and some do not...some kill the sound completely, where a regenerator on the same system works beautifully.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Question to Ron,

What is your tape setup ? Stock or modified..?

Regards

Studer A820 reconditioned electrically, mechanically and cosmetically as much as possible. My technician replaced whatever capacitors and bearings and other parts he could.

He removed transformers and as much of what he considered to be superfluous audio electronics as possible. The technician thinks it sounds noticeably better than a stock A820.

I am not using direct head-out (which I assumed I would use with a Doshi). Tape playback is sounding mighty fine to me -- good enough for me. I am not inclined to spend more money on the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Sorry, Rex. Why are you talking about this here?

Reactions: adyc

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: MadFloyd

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Remember Milan, Stephan is German? ;) !
Germans always want to know everything exactly. Bad habit: Sometimes it is better if you do not ask questions, then you do not get an answer that you do not want to hear:p

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and Johan K

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry, Rex. Why are you talking about this here?
Rando and Mike were talking a little about power delivery and how that impacts what you hear.

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Was it that you literally never heard the details before or that they were simply "laid bare" in Ron's system and therefore much more obvious?
Two occasions where I experienced this come to mind. One was a CD of Mabel Milan (solo nylon guitar) where there appeared to be much more details/harmonics than I've heard before. Ron's digital came across slightly anemic in the midbass/lower mids so that might explain it.

However, the occasion that stands out was a tape playback of Carole King's Tapestry. Not that this album has stellar sonics but there would be times where some very subtle electric guitar accompaniment appeared at the sides of the soundstage that I had never noticed before. Almost like the session guitarist was just noodling and the producer decided to keep it in the mix at a very low level. While I have an LP of this recording, I haven't listened to it in ages so I can't really compare - and it's not like that sort of thing is going to be noticeable on a car radio for example. I think it's just fair to say that I had simply never noticed it before.

Reactions: christoph and Al M.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
You mentioned electronics harmonic distortion enhancing dynamics. The implication there is that at higher power draws, the amp will start to produce audible levels that boost this dynamics perception. But what about at low levels? I have found that SETs, for example, are more dynamic sounding even at low volumes where their harmonic distortion is low and completely innocuous. My point is that not all of the dynamic perception can be this distortion effect. Also, even if cleaning power and reducing distortion is technically "correct" ,if it lessens the emotional engagement of the music, is it a net benefit to the listener? BTW, I use a power regenerator and I find that it has only positive benefits. I have tried filters and some help and some do not...some kill the sound completely, where a regenerator on the same system works beautifully.

Power supply , usually large and CRLC or so ...

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Studer A820 reconditioned electrically, mechanically and cosmetically as much as possible. My technician replace whatever capacitors and bearings and other parts he could.

He removed transformers and as much of what he considered to be superfluous audio electronics as possible. The technician thinks it sounds noticeably better than a stock A820.

I am not using direct head-out (which I assumed I would use with a Doshi). Tape playback is sounding mighty fine to me -- good enough for me. I am not inclined to spend more money on the system.

Thanks for the response , agree when it all comes together , hitting the brakes makes sense ..

Regards

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
By the way Ron,
After reading Al’s and Ian’s posts, I must say it seem like your system finally has settle down and performs the way you always wanted it to sound… For that I take my hat of for you. Congratulations!! No easy task to set up a big systems like that in a new renovated room, specially with all these many angles and different ceiling you have.. Very impressive indeed.. Hope I get the chance to here it some day… All the best,

/ Jk

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
when it all comes together , hitting the brakes makes sense ..

Regards

There is no right or wrong here, obviously. It is simple cost/benefit analysis.

I personally don't enjoy the (perfectly legitimate and fully respectable) sub-hobby of box swapping and endless fiddling and endless tweaking. At some point I like to be done, pencils down.

I still have big things to work on on the system. But I am satisfied with tape playback, and I will not be looking to get to a higher level there.

Reactions: Pokey77

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Two occasions where I experienced this come to mind. One was a CD of Mabel Milan (solo nylon guitar) where there appeared to be much more details/harmonics than I've heard before. Ron's digital came across slightly anemic in the midbass/lower mids so that might explain it.

However, the occasion that stands out was a tape playback of Carole King's Tapestry. Not that this album has stellar sonics but there would be times where some very subtle electric guitar accompaniment appeared at the sides of the soundstage that I had never noticed before. Almost like the session guitarist was just noodling and the producer decided to keep it in the mix at a very low level. While I have an LP of this recording, I haven't listened to it in ages so I can't really compare - and it's not like that sort of thing is going to be noticeable on a car radio for example. I think it's just fair to say that I had simply never noticed it before.
If Ron needs to fix the midbass/lower mids in his digital then he needs a Kassandra or Helene DAC. No more worries about this critical range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing