Ron Resnick Launches Audio Cafe LLC, a New Clarisys Audio Dealer

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is one advantage of tall line source speaker to reduce floor and ceiling interaction.

You have a point here.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Respectfully I disagree. In opposite, I think 6.4 feet tall speaker is perfect for 8 feet room. By symmetry, it forces the sound from line source speaker sound wave in cylinderal shape. This is one advantage of tall line source speaker to reduce floor and ceiling interaction.
I took it even further with an 8 foot speaker in an 8 foot high room…I had about 3mm clearance. Line sources don’t care much about your ceiling or floor….or much about your sidewalls for that matter (assuming it’s a dipole).

Reactions: MRJAZZ

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Studio might work, but Auditorium is a no-no, in my view. You shouldn't put a 6.4 ft tall speaker in a room with just 8 ft height.

I have a room of 8.5 ft height, and I wish I had a much higher ceiling. It would allow the music to breathe more.
Line sources and planars radiate different than conventional speakers, ceiling height and side wall distance is nice, but not critical. :) I should read the whole tread before posting ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K and bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Line sources and planars radiate different than conventional speakers, ceiling height and side wall distance is nice, but not critical. :)

Sure, I already conceded the point.

Reactions: Lagonda

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is to announce that I am now a home dealer for Clarisys Audio loudspeakers and Hegel Music Systems. This home dealer project is in addition to all of my current activities, including my participation on the forum, my interviews and show reports and other videos for the WBF YouTube channel, and my reviewing for Mono and Stereo.

I promise to do my best to be bright line careful when wearing my dealer hat for Clarisys Audio versus my other hats which require neutrality, impartiality and intellectual honesty. I promise to do my best to be explicit and declaratory when I am acting on behalf of Clarisys versus when I am engaged in any of my audio industry interviewing, reporting or reviewing activities.

The name of the dealership is Audio Cafe LLC. The website for Audio Cafe is www.AudioCafeBeverlyHills.com. Please check it out!

If you wish to audition the Clarisys Audio Studio Plus loudspeakers please contact me! I have installed the Studio Plus speakers in my main listening room, starting with my usual sources (Studer A820 tape machine, Brinkmann Balance turntable and Lampizator Baltic 4) and my usual electronics (Aesthetix, VTL and Jadis). Presently I have a Hegel V10 phono stage and a P30A pre-amplifier. I plan to get a Hegel amplifier in the future to be able to offer auditions with a solid-state chain of electronics.

Make an appointment, and let's have some fun!

View attachment 126296
I could be wrong. I think having two dipoles in the same room is a good way to create a passive radiator/ IMO.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...my ceiling is just a wee bit under 8' and I have shied away from taller speakers. Perhaps I need to recalculate myself. I think I would really need to hear a tall speaker in situ here to be convinced (about this room). While the physical ceiling (drywall) is just under 8' there is almost two-feet above that, and there is blown-in cellulose around pipes, ducts, etc. Perhaps that is also relevant to this model here.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
...my ceiling is just a wee bit under 8' and I have shied away from taller speakers. Perhaps I need to recalculate myself. I think I would really need to hear a tall speaker in situ here to be convinced (about this room). While the physical ceiling (drywall) is just under 8' there is almost two-feet above that, and there is blown-in cellulose around pipes, ducts, etc. Perhaps that is also relevant to this model here.

As others have pointed out it depends on the speaker type. While a line source speaker may, tall conventional cone speakers don't need apply for a room with lower ceiling.

My cone speakers are 4 ft tall in a room with an 8.5 ft ceiling. I'm comfortable with that. I had already enough severe problems with ceiling reflections (my room is an absolute bitch in every way, took years to tame it), I don't need any more.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I'm with you @Al M re: challenging rooms and height. I have a long-wall at 23 degrees.

To steer back on track, I have been reading around re: Clarisys. It seems they would not like my room for shape and treatment applications (e.g. I have a lot of room treatments in place) from what I read.

I was actually looking at the Magico S3s, but it seems the dealer hasn't been able to uncrate them for a listen. Soured me a bit and I am considering other options. I will be in South Africa and Singapore in a few weeks, so maybe there will be options to hear.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
For this size of room, you should get studio+ if not auditorium. Room size is nice!
With all due respect, why? He indicated he was very content with his current system. I am sure there are very good reasons for that. Is not that sufficient?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Not really. Speaks to his very pragmatic, comprehensive approach to this endeavor.

Well, I guess then your post was too cryptic for me to understand. Your follow-up isn't any clearer either. But perhaps I'm just a little slow, who knows.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
With all due respect, why? He indicated he was very content with his current system. I am sure there are very good reasons for that. Is not that sufficient?

Good point.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
...I'm with you @Al M re: challenging rooms and height. I have a long-wall at 23 degrees.

To steer back on track, I have been reading around re: Clarisys. It seems they would not like my room for shape and treatment applications (e.g. I have a lot of room treatments in place) from what I read.

I was actually looking at the Magico S3s, but it seems the dealer hasn't been able to uncrate them for a listen. Soured me a bit and I am considering other options. I will be in South Africa and Singapore in a few weeks, so maybe there will be options to hear.
Completely different sound from an S3 and yes , best you yank those treatments , as you would have to anyway when changing to different speakers ..

Regards

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023

You actually want your line-source as close to the ceiling as possible , panel bass is best here for power when ceiling is short not tall , so a tall line-source is not an issue..!

Regards

Reactions: Alrainbow

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Well, I guess then your post was too cryptic for me to understand. Your follow-up isn't any clearer either. But perhaps I'm just a little slow, who knows.
It was a compliment. No nefarious intent. Many different ways to audtion gear. I trust that is clear. FYI, I have read numerous posts on this site and have a hard time understanding poster intent. Best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Generally no manufacturer is going to say some other product is needed to enjoy theirs. But look at who they show with to get some clue about their view on compatibility. At Axpona 2023 it was Clarisys with Hegel who is out of Denmark. At Munich 2023 it was Solution which is also a Swiss company. I find most dealers who sell speakers do recommend amplifiers, usually ones they sell. Or put differently I've never encountered a speaker dealer who does not have amplfiers on offer.

Small correction, Hegel is actually Norwegian. :)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ron : On vocals do voices appear above the middle of the speakers , if so does the height vary on loudness ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing