Ron's Favorite Private Rooms + Systems of All Time

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My visit the last three days to Marty confirms yet again – – although no confirmation was required – – that one's listening room is by far the most important component of the sound and the realism one achieves in this hobby.

It is not possible to rate one's favorite room without considering the system in it. It is not possible to rate one's favorite system without considering the room in which it is located.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
It is impossible to seperate the gear, the set up and the room when one listens. It is a singular organism .

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Speakers/systems just move air a room and air movement in each room is unique. Air if very sensitive stuff:) I learned that air is very sensitive after working with Frank Tchang from ASI with his tiny resonators that have an effect of air movement in a room. I never thought about it prior.

Reactions: matakana

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For example, Don has some of my favorite components: Magnepan MG20.7s, custom woofer columns, REL subwoofers, Aesthetix, Audio Research and VTL tube electronics. It is one of my favorite systems (i.e., collections of components).

Is it one of my favorite rooms + systems of all time? No. But if we put Don's system in one of my favorite rooms of all time, then would I have one of my favorite rooms + systems of all time? Yes.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
For example, Don has some of my favorite components: Magnepan MG20.7s, custom woofer columns, REL subwoofers, Aesthetix, Audio Research and VTL tube electronics. It is one of my favorite systems (i.e., collections of components).

Is it one of my favorite rooms + systems of all time? No. But if we put Don's system in one of my favorite rooms of all time, then would I have one of my favorite rooms + systems of all time? Yes.
Not necessarily. as Elliot said, each room with an associated system is a Unique singular organism.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have many of my favorite components. But I have realized over time how my dedicated space – – which is not a custom-built room – – has compromised the sound of my system.

Is my own room + system one of my five (5) favorite private rooms + systems of all time? I'm not sure. I will have to go through the list and assess. . .

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Let me issue a disclaimer: I believe I have a tendency to be over-enthusiastic about an obviously impressive and realistic-sounding room + system immediately after I experience it.

More sober and considered thoughts in the cold light of day may follow.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
it is a three pronged organism.
The room
THe set up
The gear
Change one change them all. Its that simple and that complicated.

One does not proclude the importance of the other two .

For example if Marty's room is excellent
A bad set up of excellent gear will give a compromised result. One needs all three to work together.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Another perplexing situation to evaluate: David Karmeli's Bionor/Lamm system. David Karmeli's system may achieve the greatest suspension of disbelief for the reproduction of the sound of a piano, and for the creation of the sensation of a life jazz club, that I have ever heard. Does this alone justify assessment as one of my favorite "rooms + systems of all time"?

But I think David's giant loudspeakers are too close together. (I believe David agrees that in a perfect world his listening room would be 35 or 40 feet wide, so the huge Bionors could be more than just a few feet apart.)

In a perfect world David's system probably should be in a room that is 40 feet wide and 60 feet long.

Yet I don't think I ultimately could be completely happy with David's system. I would have a nagging feeling that there is something missing in terms of depth and in terms of oomphy reproduction of the lowest frequencies and the reproduction of "air" and sound-staging ambience from the highest frequencies.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maybe I should develop a list of "favorite rooms" and a list of "favorite systems" separate from "favorite rooms + systems of all time"?

No, I don't think so, because without a room there is no place for the system to make music, and without a system, a room will make no sound.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Five (5) Favorite private rooms + systems of all time as of January 19, 2024, in no particular order:

Jack Duavit, dedicated, custom-built room, Von Schweikert VR-11/Lamm

Mike Lavigne, dedicated, custom-built room, Evolution Acoustics MM7/darTZeel/VAC

Ali Lehman, dedicated room (not custom-built), Avantgarde Trio G3, bass-horns, REL, Berning 211 SET/VAC

Marty, dedicated, custom-built room, Wilson Audio Alexx V/Zanden/Soulution/Gryphon

Jeroen (audioquattr), dedicated room (not custom built), Cessaro Zeta, custom subwoofers/Trafomatic Elysium/Alieno

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What does this teach me? This teaches me that the single most important thing in this hobby is to have a large, dedicated, custom-built room!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Where would I put my own room + system?

I would put it in the next five, along with David Karmeli's
room + system and Steve's room + system and Jim Yager's room + system and Don's room + system.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Disclaimer: I reserve the right to reevaluate all of this at any time and to change my assessment at any time without prior notice notice.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
What does this teach me? This teaches me that the single most important thing in this hobby is to have a large, dedicated, custom-built room!

Or if you cannot have a dedicated custom-built room, then it's about finding the right speakers and/or listening configuration for your room.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023

Doubt it will become “one” of your favorite rooms of all time if its not close now ..

Regards

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Another perplexing situation to evaluate: David Karmeli's Bionor/Lamm system. David Karmeli's system may achieve the greatest suspension of disbelief for the reproduction of the sound of a piano, and for the creation of the sensation of a life jazz club, that I have ever heard. Does this alone justify assessment as one of my favorite "rooms + systems of all time"?

But I think David's giant loudspeakers are too close together. (I believe David agrees that in a perfect world his listening room would be 35 or 40 feet wide, so the huge Bionors could be more than just a few feet apart.)

In a perfect world David's system probably should be in a room that is 40 feet wide and 60 feet long.

Yet I don't think I ultimately could be completely happy with David's system. I would have a nagging feeling that there is something missing in terms of depth and in terms of oomphy reproduction of the lowest frequencies and the reproduction of "air" and sound-staging ambience from the highest frequencies.

Being that close together is why the piano reproduction works , spreading them wider apart will lose that complement summation ..

The baffle is way too wide for air and sound-staging you crave but will improve with the 30-40 ft room width , then there goes your piano magic ..!

;)

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Or if you cannot have a dedicated custom-built room, then it's about finding the right speakers and/or listening configuration for your room.

Bad Speakers need magical rooms , to get good sound. A bad room for audio only takes away it doesn't add quality. A quality system will still shine just less so want to know how good and or bad , take them out of the room, outside ..!

Happy now ..:)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Disclaimer: I reserve the right to reevaluate all of this at any time and to change my assessment at any time without prior notice notice.
lol

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Doubt it will become your favorite room of all time if its not close now ..

Regards

Please kindly be careful not to mis-quote me in terms of singular favorite or singular best rooms + systems. I am being careful to talk about groups or tiers of rooms + systems.

I do not believe in the "one best" or single favorite concept in a subjective hobby such as this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing