Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: BruceD

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It was a long process to acquire on compact disc almost every one of my favorite songs from the 1970s and the 1980s. So I don't really want to throw them in the trash bin. But keeping them means another digital box. :rolleyes: They are multiplying like rabbits!

Reactions: Al M. and Lagonda

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It was a long process to acquire on compact disc almost every one of my favorite songs from the 1970s and the 1980s. So I don't really want to throw them in the trash bin. But keeping them means another digital box. :rolleyes: They are multiplying like rabbits!
Ripped CDs don't take too much space ;)

Reactions: tima

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
The dark side is calling for you Ron. Will we see some Digital devices in your signature soon ?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Why, Ron?
You either have the original vinyl and CDs already, the rest you can get via streaming.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'm fine with just using CDs in the car.

I find this interesting, because the car is the one place I no longer ever use CDs. A few years ago I try to replicate my old cassette mix-up tapes (favorite songs on vinyl manually and laboriously recorded to cassette tape :rolleyes:) by copying favorite tracks on CDs to a computer, and then saving them to an SD card. So I keep the SD card in the car.

Reactions: Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The dark side is calling for you Ron. Will we see some Digital devices in your signature soon ?

You will see there a modest streamer and a modest DAC someday, probably late this year or next year.

But now that I think about it, and I recall how methodically I tried to replace albums on compact discs with albums on vinyl, I really don't see the need to buy a transport for the small handful of rock/pop albums I have only on CD.

Sorry spiritofmusic!

Reactions: Mikem53

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's fine Ron, whatever works for you.
Some of us have 00s or 000s of CDs that will never be on vinyl, or fully/partially on streaming.
Some of us prefer the sound of CD to streamed, even purported cutting edge servers/custom software servers.
Some of us literally hate the whole experience around using servers.
Some of us are crazy.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You will see there a modest streamer and a modest DAC someday, probably late this year or next year.

But now that I think about it, and I recall how methodically I tried to replace albums on compact discs with albums on vinyl, I really don't see the need to buy a transport for the small handful of rock/pop albums I have only on CD.

Sorry spiritofmusic!
When you say "modest dac", Ron, do you mean the MSB Select 2 minus powerbases?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When you say "modest dac", Ron, do you mean the MSB Select 2 minus powerbases?

Ah, negative. I mean something like KeithR's recommendation of Holo May KTE + Innuos ZENmini or Schiit Yggy 2 + iPad.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I find this interesting, because the car is the one place I no longer ever use CDs. A few years ago I try to replicate my old cassette mix-up tapes (favorite songs on vinyl manually and laboriously recorded to cassette tape :rolleyes:) by copying favorite tracks on CDs to a computer, and then saving them to an SD card. So I keep the SD card in the car.

Well now you may have to convert the CD, so I guess I could say digital for the car.

When record shopping I might use YouTube to sample stuff to see if I want it.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
More electrical system progress:

9FFDC128-0DD2-4954-ADBE-0BB606EDDB72.jpeg

92D9DA5D-174A-44B8-9247-149ABCA37170.jpeg

ABD1C561-76CA-4305-848E-3F23D47F60BB.jpeg

F013C2D5-21BE-463C-8166-2BF9C0C2AB09.jpeg

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Shouldn't the sub panel main breaker be located in the main panel?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Shouldn't the sub panel main breaker be located in the main panel?

Not necessarily, I guess. This sub-panel is powered by a 100 amp sub-panel which, ironically, happens to be in the listening room. There was no easy way to bring the chemical grounds and all the new circuits to the existing sub-panel.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My vintage Denon TU-900 FM tuner just arrived. And y'all thought I never actually buy any equipment. :D

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but it sounds easily noticeably better than my Arcam T-61. And I'm sure this Denon is way out of alignment, and in desperate need of capacitor replacements.

But it's a very pretty piece with a champagne faceplate and thick rosewood side panels. And it seems to be in very good condition.

14F48EFC-7DBD-4DB8-AFFE-96D6C654B987.jpeg

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
My vintage Denon TU-900 FM tuner just arrived. And y'all thought I never actually buy any equipment. :D

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but it sounds easily noticeably better than my Arcam T-61. And I'm sure this Denon is way out of alignment, and in desperate need of capacitor replacements.

But it's a very pretty piece with a champagne faceplate and thick rosewood side panels. And it seems to be in very good condition.

View attachment 74635
And tuned into KLOS

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
LINE STAGE TO BASS TOWERS

I have to find a manufacturer of very low capacitance balanced interconnects who can guarantee that at a length of 50 feet the capacitance measured across the two active conductors of each cable will be extremely close in value (i.e., the capacitance maeasured across the two active conductors in the left cable will match the capacitance measured across the two active conductors in the right cable); that the capacitance to shield of each cable is very low; and that the loop inductance of both cables will measure as being extremely close in value.

Initially I am going to purchase several pairs of Mogami 2791, with XLR connectors, and keep the cables which measure the most similarly on the above parameters.

Galen Gareis of Iconoclast sends RCL measurements with his interconnect cables. I think this is impressive and commendable in and of itself!

He said he would make a matched pair for me. But the capacitance of his lowest capacitance cable (his 4x1 OCC) is still not as low in capacitance as Mogami W2791.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Galen Gareis of Iconoclast sends RCL measurements with his interconnect cables. I think this is impressive and commendable in and of itself!

He said he would make a matched pair for me. But the capacitance of his lowest capacitance cable (his 4x1 OCC) is still not as low in capacitance as Mogami W2791.
Have you heard a set of Mogami 2791 Ron ? Do you like the way they sound ? Even in the Mogami line of cables sound is very different. Measurements are great, but listening is important too.

Reactions: christoph and ddk

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, I have not heard it. But I have to start somewhere to connect everything together. And for the 50 foot run I absolutely need a very low capacitance (K1) cable.

I need an inexpensive baseline to start with, no?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing