Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
Maybe I'll get the itch to make two demo sets for him to try... We'll see. They're awfully long runs IIRC; and XLR only amps I think?

Mogami is on the shrill side to me. I guess with super flat sounding recent music maybe it's better, but really you can't save that - it's going to sound mediocre no matter what, AFAIK.
Folsom, the Mogami cables all sound different, depending on model number and topology. The shrillest sounding cables i have heard, and still own are Swedish Supra made of tinned copper, unnatural metallic treble, used on somewhat dull electrostatic speakers at the time. I also own IC's made of Duelund silver and copper cables, these are also to colored for my taste.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 26, 2015
Eastern WA
Folsom, the Mogami cables all sound different, depending on model number and topology. The shrillest sounding cables i have heard, and still own are Swedish Supra made of tinned copper, unnatural metallic treble, used on somewhat dull electrostatic speakers at the time. I also own IC's made of Duelund silver and copper cables, these are also to colored for my taste.

I don't use any of the odd insulation Supra uses or counter spiral stuff, teflon, etc. Did you find those ones settled in at all? I find tinned copper takes a little bit of time to settle, but I cannot speak for Supras. Duelund's are really high capacitance so they will certainly have a very strong flavor. BTW Mogami 2543 to me is on the harsh side with limited tone - I tried using nothing else but it for awhile.

Very interesting. I did not know this. I'm guessing you mean audio cables. Do you make them as a hobby for yourself or commercially?

Well I decided to make them commercial (which is sort of exciting since we haven't released things under our own name yet, and technically these haven't "debuted"). But I started by seeking the best thing I could find for personal use.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 4, 2014
Denmark
I don't use any of the odd insulation Supra uses or counter spiral stuff, teflon, etc. Did you find those ones settled in at all? I find tinned copper takes a little bit of time to settle, but I cannot speak for Supras. Duelund's are really high capacitance so they will certainly have a very strong flavor. BTW Mogami 2543 to me is on the harsh side with limited tone - I tried using nothing else but it for awhile.

Well I decided to make them commercial (which is sort of exciting since we haven't released things under our own name yet, and technically these haven't "debuted"). But I started by seeking the best thing I could find for personal use.
Never tried the Mogami 2543, i had 3 different Supra cables, including the top of the line Sword in different systems for extended periods as did my brother, but as my system became more resolving their sound became more troubling to me. I still use a run of Sword to drive my Vandersteen Subs in the TV system, because i had it anyway. Ron feel free to remove these extended cable musings from your system thread. :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 26, 2015
Eastern WA
Never tried the Mogami 2543, i had 3 different Supra cables, including the top of the line Sword in different systems for extended periods as did my brother, but as my system became more resolving their sound became more troubling to me. I still use a run of Sword to drive my Vandersteen Subs in the TV system, because i had it anyway. Ron feel free to remove these extended cable musings from your system thread. :)
Sorry, I meant 2534.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, I tried to raise my daughters in a way nodding to past traditions and formality. When they were really little, I taught them to curtsey and say thank you when leaving the dinner table, and to always smile and be polite. Manners have always mattered to me. My career oriented wife soon told me I was preparing them for a world that hardly still exists. Curtseying has about as much to do with today's behavior and cultural norms as fancy packaging and expensive finishes on connectors have to do with natural sounding audio systems. Presentation still matters to some, however, and I respect that.

Behavior and decoration are luxuries that demarcate, and they are surely subjective and vary in value. In the end, sonic results leading to emotion are what matter most to me in audio.

See her picture in a thousand places
'Cause she's this year's wire
You think, you all own little pieces
Of this year's wire

Forget your fancy manners
Forget your Boston grammar
'Cause you don't really give a damn
About this year's wire

Still you're hoping that she's well spoken
You want her broken with her connectors wide open

Never knowing, it's a real attraction
All these promises of satisfaction
While you're being bored to distraction
Hearing this year's wire

--with apologies to the always quotable Elvis Costello

Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing