Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The grey would need a little gloss to bring the wood pattern back out. It is a little too washed dor me as is.

But I see appeal in litening it a little; unless you’re planning to kick back with a cigar and scotch.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Natural walnut is a warmer color but it all depends on your taste and the furniture that goes in the room.

david
Furniture ? What furniture ? Four giant columns of speakers 2 amps,
and a single chair !;) Walnut

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Should I keep the walls natural walnut or should I stain all of the walls grey (like you see in the left corner)?
G
The color is a uniform grey stain, but applied carefully to allow the underlying woodgrain pattern to show through clearly.

Pls allow me to butt in. I used to be into home decorating quite a bit and knew more designer furnitures than audio.

It would be nice to bring out the wood texture of your grey side wall more (staining is better than painting imo) and have the back wall in contrasting shade of wood like the picture below. If your interior designer create for you some inlay or offset within the wooden wall it would also give the wall shading and sense of enevenness making the wall less boring. You will be making more points with the Lady Tinka.

CFC22A28-C78E-4316-B62F-07CA42252128.jpeg

@ddk. I ran into this picture and thought that the room, the tone go well with your Bionor and Flos suspension lamps.

34F065DF-CA1C-4E71-9A2B-A439EAD02FF0.jpeg

Tang

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Pls allow me to butt in. I used to be into home decorating quite a bit and knew more designer furnitures than audio.

It would be nice to bring out the wood texture of your grey side wall more (staining is better than painting imo) and have the back wall in contrasting shade of wood like the picture below. If your interior designer create for you some inlay or offset within the wooden wall it would also give the wall shading and sense of enevenness making the wall less boring. You will be making more points with the Lady Tinka.

View attachment 46469

@ddk. I ran into this picture and thought that the room, the tone go well with your Bionor and Flos suspension lamps.

View attachment 46470

Tang
Dear Tang,
Love that color combination and already have that light blue behind the speakers, the diffusors are stained that color. What's hard to find here at least in Utah is that shade of carpet!

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They could wet the wood that they're turning grey, so the grain has texture. Once wet it'll dry, but the grain will raise unless it's been done before and then sanded down.

Tang, your horizontal wood looks awesome. I love it, straight up and down can get overdone in a room at times.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
They could wet the wood that they're turning grey, so the grain has texture. Once wet it'll dry, but the grain will raise unless it's been done before and then sanded down.

Tang, your horizontal wood looks awesome. I love it, straight up and down can get overdone in a room at times.
Dear Folsom,

I have seen horizontal with different thickness of woods with rather raw surface putting together into wall creating uneven surface looked awesome (I am not talking diffuser style though.) With downlight it looked even more naturally exquisite. Nothing beats wooden texture imo.

Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Indeed. I'm actually tired of the smooth look.

However you should meet my grandma. "My floors!!! It looks like some one took a razor blade to them!!" She had a house built and of coarse today it comes with a distressed looking laminate... Well, everyone but her loves it. Then again, she liked her oak cabinets with natural finish (GAG, BARF).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I wonder how he defines evolution because sonically there's no similarity between FR64s/66s and Axiom tonearms.

david

That is interesting David. I have no personal basis for comparison, but he definitely seems to think that there’s some commonality.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,
This seems like a very personal decision. Why ask anyone? One thing for possible consideration- if you keep them natural, you can always stain later. If you stain now, I don't think there is any "going back". But hey, it's great to see it looking so much more real now!!
Marty

I am curious to get opinions.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron
Is the entire wall going to be the wood? What is going on the top half?

The entire wall is going to be wood. The lower planks are nine feet tall, so there needs to be a section above that to get up to the ceiling.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you Tang, ddk, Folsom!

The house overall is in a contemporary style so the Lady Tinka likes the uniform grey with grain pattern visible (so it does not look like poorly painted drywall).

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I am curious to get opinions.

With respect without sugar ... Imo much of the beauty of walnut comes from its grain variety. Grey paint lessens the texture and dimensional character of the wood - at least as seen by my eyes from the photo. Why have walnut then paint it? I'd like to see what a little tung oil might do to an untreated piece. The cooler grey could work if you plan to bring wall art into the room. I would consider lighting and its temperature - which is hugely critical - before deciding. And I'd also think of the floor. I enjoy the warmth of wood and have a bias toward it - not knowing your vision for your contemporary home, I am in want of your context for it and fall back on my own, which thinks contemporary is Usonian. :)

Whatever you do I am confident it will be done well.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
With respect without sugar ... Imo much of the beauty of walnut comes from its grain variety. Grey paint lessens the texture and dimensional character of the wood - at least as seen by my eyes from the photo. Why have walnut then paint it? I'd like to see what a little tung oil might do to an untreated piece. The cooler grey could work if you plan to bring wall art into the room. I would consider lighting and its temperature - which is hugely critical - before deciding. And I'd also think of the floor. I enjoy the warmth of wood and have a bias toward it - not knowing your vision for your contemporary home, I am in want of your context for it and fall back on my own, which thinks contemporary is Usonian. :)

Whatever you do I am confident it will be done well.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Tim! The grey is a stain, not paint. I agree paint would look too drywall-like and hide the grain.

We will have walnut flooring on about the one-third third of the listening space’s floor starting four feet from the front wall. (This is a modification of MikeL’s design in which the entire approximately first third of his floor (starting at the front wall) is wood.) My space is 24’ long so this will give me a depth placement range of the speakers from about 10’ from the front wall to about 5’ from the front wall.

We feel if we have natural walnut on the walls and the floor the whole place will look too “hunt club” for the overall contemporary decor of the house (and the listening space).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Black or silver? The AS turntable is stainless steel the the gryphon speakers are black. The sources are in a seperate room so maybe a silver 7.5 preamp to match the AS turntable and black mono blocks to match the speakers. But if you move the preamp into the room the. Maybe a black 7.5 preamp. Time to think.

Silver VTLs. I don’t care for black components or racks or car interiors.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tinka is working slowly on talking me into a trip to Asia. I said well we would have to re-visit Jack in Manila and, this time, meet Jim and go to Palawan; meet and visit Tang in Bangkok; and visit Danon Han in Kuala Lumpur. I said maybe in ten years.

Oh, and she promised me that none of these places will be hot or humid, or have spicey foods.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Did you put a globe in front of her and ask her to point where Asia is at?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think Tinka told Ron that the UK wasn't full of British.

Reactions: DaveyF

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tinka is working slowly on talking me into a trip to Asia. I said well we would have to re-visit Jack in Manila and, this time, meet Jim and go to Palawan; meet and visit Tang in Bangkok; and visit Danon Han in Kuala Lumpur. I said maybe in ten years.

Oh, and she promised me that none of these places will be hot or humid, or have spicey foods.

Come now. Weather is perfect. I'll hold the chillies. :D

Reactions: Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing