Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tinka is working slowly on talking me into a trip to Asia. I said well we would have to re-visit Jack in Manila and, this time, meet Jim and go to Palawan; meet and visit Tang in Bangkok; and visit Danon Han in Kuala Lumpur. I said maybe in ten years.

Oh, and she promised me that none of these places will be hot or humid, or have spicey foods.
Come in April when it is sizzling cold here..hehe.

Tang :cool:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
D319C0FE-0414-4C39-9CC4-59F3328B07C2.jpeg

D33F90D0-4579-4F67-B0C8-13527F3EE37E.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After several communications with David “Turntable Whisperer” Karmeli I’ve decided to order two 4 shelf Nothing stands (rather than three stands).

The components will be arranged on the two stands thusly:

AS-2000...................Io on Herzan
7.5 audio unit...........7.5 control unit
tape preamp............Io power supply R
2 air pumps..............Io power supply L

This set-up leaves no shelves for any expansion of the system, which is not ideal. But I do not really have room for three racks (since I have decided to put the tape machine in the equipment room and not right near the listening chair (thank you MikeL!)) and I do not forsee any expansion.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What about that dream digital setup you're hankering after?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What about that dream digital setup you're hankering after?

The day is young, but that is the funniest thing I've read so far today.

Congratulations on the two Nothing Racks, Ron. I'm sure those supports will look like Something indeed. How did you decide on the Herzan instead of the Stacore for under the Io, or are you placing Stacore platforms under other gear? Where are you going to place your RCM and what method will you use?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, if you want to read "funny" (funny tragic as opposed to funny hilarious), just try following Brexit.

I'm struggling to see how a 27x22 room can't support more racks if needed. If Ron was talking about a cramped apartment in NY, maybe. But his expansive room. Esp w some gear in a separate space.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
A few analog questions from a digital guy ;) :

Why did you opt to put the IO on the Herzan + Nothing rack? Isn't the latter sufficient?

Would it make sense to have the IO and tape preamp on one rack with the VTLs on the other?

Do the air pumps really require rack space? Couldn't this be additional space for the future.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Someday I want a pair of Wilson Audio Master Subsonic subwoofers and a pair of Wilson Audio Watch Controllers and a pair of Parasound JC1 amplifiers to handle 20Hz and below! :eek:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
It is coming along Ron.

I am very much looking forward to the day you enjoy that beautiful room and your impressions of the Io with your top flight table and system.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Someday I want a pair of Wilson Audio Master Subsonic subwoofers and a pair of Wilson Audio Watch Controllers and a pair of Parasound JC1 amplifiers to handle 20Hz and below! :eek:
Now that we are actually seeing progress, what's the projected move in date?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A few analog questions from a digital guy ;) :

Why did you opt to put the IO on the Herzan + Nothing rack? Isn't the latter sufficient?

Would it make sense to have the IO and tape preamp on one rack with the VTLs on the other?

Do the air pumps really require rack space? Couldn't this be additional space for the future.

I am sure the Nothing stand is sufficient. I purchased the Herzan long before David unveiled the Nothing stand.

The IVF videos demonstrating the functionality and efficacy of the Herzan makes me believe that it may provide airborne vibration isolation for a small signal preamplifier festooned with tubes beyond that provided by the Nothing stand.

The Io consists of three boxes and the VTL consists of two boxes.

I learned recently that the air pumps do not require rack space.

Thank you, Keith!

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very very nice....I would never leave home.:)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I plan not to ever leave home. The plan is for us to finish the house and then be that mysterious couple people heard a rumor about many years ago who went up the hill and never came down.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, every day here at the chapel is a holiday. I hope never to come home LOL.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Personally for me listening room has to be in the living room to be part of life, so I respect what Ian has done, he has a listening room but moved his system to the family room. I really like that. Next best to having it in the office at work

Reactions: KeithR

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you cannot beat a separate listening room. However, always fun to come up for air, go downstairs, and re enter the real world.

Acoustically, no way could I have easily approximated the exemplary sound of my audio room downstairs in the main space w it's lack of symmetry, alcoves, ins & outs.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Personally for me listening room has to be in the living room to be part of life, so I respect what Ian has done, he has a listening room but moved his system to the family room. I really like that. Next best to having it in the office at work

Wait till you have kids, Ked :eek:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, the guy has enough stress without that suggestion LOL.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is coming along Ron.

I am very much looking forward to the day you enjoy that beautiful room and your impressions of the Io with your top flight table and system.

Thank you! Me too!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing