SAT Direct Drive Turntable!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Obviously built to order only. I really don’t see the value here for the money. GLWS’s....

Do you see value for the money in any high-end product? :)
You are a happy person, I only see value for the subjective sound quality ...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Anyone can get

Although you were teasing, considering all you know (very, very little) we can not exclude that the SAT turntable can be an engineering marvel.

The engineering constraints of the SAT turntable were much more strict tham the AF0 - less weigh, smaller are and a lower cost. If the turntable can subjectively rival the similarly priced units it is surely an engineering success.

Surely no one expects miracles in this hobby. However considering that a significant number of audiophiles with good credentials - I know of a few - tell us that the SAT is the best available tonearm, I will not discard any hypothesis at the this moment.
Laws of physics don't change because of some bullshit claims in a press release! But you're welcome to bury your head in the sand :).

david

Reactions: jeff1225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Laws of physics don't change because of some bullshit claims in a press release! But you're welcome to bury your head in the sand :).

david

I was at lake maggiore this weekend near Milan, saw Francisco there. I had asked him to go to Milan to listen to Pietro's yamamura to start a horn tour but on the way here he was

8B22A83E-9A99-471B-B724-C2F9685E8308.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

Surely - when we know of the laws of physics and the laws of psychoacoustics we must keep an open mind. As I always tell people, when in know the laws of physics in some depth we immediately find real life is more complicated then what is written in high-end press releases.

Anyway, better burying the head in sand than steel - the laws of physics will explain you why ... :)

Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Surely - when we know of the laws of physics and the laws of psychoacoustics we must keep an open mind. As I always tell people, when in know the laws of physics in some depth we immediately find real life is more complicated then what is written in high-end press releases.

Anyway, better burying the head in sand than steel - the laws of physics will explain you why ... :)
You can break your head with steel but not get it buried in it like sand, laws of physics again :)!

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You can break your head with steel but not get it buried in it like sand, laws of physics again :)!

david

Who said buried in it like sand? Please keep an open mind and use some extra physics ... :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just wanted to make sure that you don't try and hurt yourself :).

david

Be assured I will ask Mark Gomez to build me a thermal shield/helmet before plunging my head in molten steel! :)

Reactions: Lagonda

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Try wearing his plinth he claims that it does miracles :)!

david
The plinthed crusader SATMAN joins the new comic Marvel universe. Here is the trailer for the upcoming movie ‘SATMAN - The Plinth of the Infinity Stone’. (price of admission TBA)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I have been watching this thread with interest. Not because I am going to buy an. SAT - even if I had the money I'm not sure I'd buy an UBER deck - not because they are not wonderful.

Can I say in defence of Michael Fremer this, and I am saying this from the perspective of a defence lawyer.

1. Fremer was welcomed to the forum
2. He is a well known journalist who is very much one of the faces of high end audio - in particular analogue
3. Within moments of the thread to discuss the merits of a component member after member have made loaded and in some cases direct attacks on Fremers integrity
4. The nature of people when spoken about and when backed into a corner is that they come out swinging, and that's what MF did

Think upon this.

At a car launch the likes of Jeremy Clarkson et al get invited, they like it, they are paid for it, they buy it, they get a discount. So what? They have perhaps both conscious and unconscious bias.

This is supposed to be WBF - an elite society of audiophiles - surely at that stratospheric level the audiophiles have ears golden enough to make up their own minds as to whether something is good or not. You don't go listening to a SAT at Audio Salon in the same way someone drives past a Porsche garage. High end audio is a niche populated largely by people who ought to be able to make up their own minds. Do they really need approval from Fremer to enjoy what it is they have bought? Is that what having a great system is about - the approval of ones peers - surely that defeats the whole purpose of listening to music.

In relation to those few people who have more money than sense who know of Fremer and who just want to throw the money about and get Kudos from Fremer (if indeed he is so Machiavelan) then 'good for them - they surely shouldn't be even listening to something of this calibre because they can't tell the difference between a Rega Planer 2 and an SAT - as such what is the negative impact of the endorsement?

Many a manufacturer can't make financial ends meet - and a failure to take a commercial approach means that businesses can die. These guys need to make sales to make the kind of component that we find in this forum.

Remember MF is a just a reviewer - and he gives us a good starting point

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Fremer is a nice guy but I believe his tastes in gear and recordings are polar opposites of a lot of the members here. I’m not sure what to tell you about why people can or cannot keep that civil.

Reactions: Halcro

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Fremer is a nice guy but I believe his tastes in gear and recordings are polar opposites of a lot of the members here. I’m not sure what to tell you about why people can or cannot keep that civil.

Really. I find Fremer one of the few reviewers that likes speed, attack, tone and dynamics and listens to modern music a well as classics. He is similar to my tastes of what music is supposed to sound like and how to enjoy it. I just don't have his budget :cool:

then again, you are probably correct - polar opposite to most members here where blue note and mofi reissues abound. ;)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I refer more to the people who don't like mofi (like me), and many of them are tube/horn/SXL etc... We've got a mix, but according to Ked we've got a bunch of blue pillars that just haven't seen the light......

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I refer more to the people who don't like mofi (like me), and many of them are tube/horn/SXL etc... We've got a mix, but according to Ked we've got a bunch of blue pillars that just haven't seen the light......
Given the aging audiophile population thing we instinctively avoid walking towards the light...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I respect Fremer the most among reviewers (in analog) and try to make it a point to audition his positives. I don't need to agree with him just use as a reference so I use his negatives as a caution if on first look I like something, or find something new that he has rated positively. He is also very quick and straightforward in responding to queries. He is also known to be an excellent set up guy by people with loads of experience in the analog world. And yes, theoretically it would be Art Dudley or 6 moons who would be closer to my non-analog equipment taste but I prefer him

Last edited:
Reactions: hogen and XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing