SAT Direct Drive Turntable!

TLi

May 27, 2016
The passive vacuum suck down is not continuous. Once suction is obtained, the pump is disconnected from the platter.

I wonder how long the vacuum can hold. The suction will slowly drop in time. It will be interesting to know if there is changes in sound from first track to the last.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The passive vacuum platter sounds like a complete PITA that VPI would dream up, not something that adds 38,000 Euro to the price and ease of use.

Why was there no comparison between non vacuum and vacuum sound of the SAT?

Surely this table deserved a full review from Fremer.

@Tango - are you getting one? comparisons to what you have now would be wonderful. :cool:
I think MF is a trustworthy reviewer. This tt should be as great as he said. Maybe one day I would like to try. My itch on gear is already put to sleep but it is friend like you and Bonzo that gonna make it wake up and get me to trouble again.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think MF is a trustworthy reviewer. This tt should be as great as he said. Maybe one day I would like to try. My itch on gear is already put to sleep but it is friend like you and Bonzo that gonna make it wake up and get me to trouble again.

I haven't said anything yet but the whole forum notices that you don't have a direct drive like Mike does

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Tang, trouble is your middle name and direct experience your game ;) When I come and visit all the tables, I want to see and hear all the good ones, and you have most of them now, but not all :p

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The passive vacuum platter sounds like a complete PITA that VPI would dream up, not something that adds 38,000 Euro to the price and ease of use.

Heh. Knowing how much Shane loves record clamps, I couldn't help think of him when I read this:

"Put a record on the platter, then flip the pump switch and insert the nipple into an elastomer-ringed outlet on the side of the platter. In about 10 or 15 seconds, the air is evacuated through tiny holes atop the platter. Then you just [!] turn off the pump and screw on the clamp—or you can clamp first and then vacuum.

When the record side is finished playing, you insert a supplied mini-Torx screwdriver into a tiny release valve on the other side of the platter, allowing air back in via those tiny holes;
you may now remove the record."

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Heh. Knowing how much Shane loves record clamps, I couldn't help think of him when I read this:

"Put a record on the platter, then flip the pump switch and insert the nipple into an elastomer-ringed outlet on the side of the platter. In about 10 or 15 seconds, the air is evacuated through tiny holes atop the platter. Then you just [!] turn off the pump and screw on the clamp—or you can clamp first and then vacuum.

When the record side is finished playing, you insert a supplied mini-Torx screwdriver into a tiny release valve on the other side of the platter, allowing air back in via those tiny holes;
This LP vacuum suction option alone costs €38k.
Sigh. :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Direct Drive

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There's a suction born every day.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Isn't vinyl done right convenient :rolleyes: :p

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The world's first $38k screwdriver Lol.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, that Fremer "review". Basically a long exposition of the promotional brochure, plus tidbits as to how highly resolving the tt is. "I never heard THIS before, I never heard THAT before".

What shocked me was the prices of his various tonearms. Multiple examples approaching €80k.

Reactions: Narayan

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

It's absurd isn't it.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hmm, that Fremer "review". Basically a long exposition of the promotional brochure, plus tidbits as to how highly resolving the tt is. "I never heard THIS before, I never heard THAT before".

What shocked me was the prices of his various tonearms. Multiple examples approaching €80k.

Marc

Give him a break, Fremer has to look like he is earning his accommodation pricing. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Narayan and Lagonda

Vienna

VIP/Donor
some members here have a clue on the sound of a SAT dd tt (equipped with CF1-9 and CF1-12) through the videos i had sent them last summer.
They had the chance to compare it against Continuum and AF1 on the same system.

Reactions: tima and bonzo75

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Trustworthy? Ya. But very different tastes from say your stereo.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Why the snarkiness?

Most reviews include the design philosophy and the construction materials of the component being reviewed -- often straight out of the marketing brochure, because this is the most efficient way for the reviewer to learn this basic background information.

Would you please explain to us with insightful analysis what is wrong with Michael comparing two turntables, swapping the tonearms on each one, and concluding that with familiar tracks on the SAT turntable he is hearing things he never heard before? Isn't finding and reporting on a product which takes the reviewer to a higher suspension of disbelief something we want reviewers to be doing for us?

Why is it shocking that the top analog replay component reviewer in the history of the industry would be asked to review the most expensive analog components? Michael, to his credit, except for cables, does not engage in the unethical practice of "long-term loans." He uses his own money to buy his components.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I haven't said anything yet but the whole forum notices that you don't have a direct drive like Mike does

what might be interesting would be to compare direct drive turntables (NVS and SAT) on the same platform. say my Taiko Tana, or the MinusK that is under the SAT.

i know what it did for my NVS, and wonder the degree of contribution to the SAT (i don't wonder very much :cool: as i know how it would go).

my Taiko Tana platform could accommodate either turntable; that is assuming the SAT does not have any self generated noise that could be picked up by the Tana sensors. whereas with the MinusK you would need the specific CT-2 model designed for around 100-110 pounds with arm(s) for the NVS.

or even compare both tt's on the decoupling passive platform standard with the NVS. it's adjustable for tt weight.

you can't add vacuum to the NVS, there is that. my Durand record weight has always been effective for me.

i do like that somehow now that we have an 'uber' priced direct drive turntable getting attention, that direct drive is in fashion again. funny how those things go. :rolleyes: maybe the NVS needs to double the price. o_O

not saying which direct drive turntable would come out on top......it's fair to favor the SAT. but i think the NVS designers are capable fellows too.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing