SET amp owners thread

acg

Dec 25, 2013
You are out of luck. This is the problem of "warm tube sound", in our country it is also called "grandmother's radio". This is not a problem of the 6C33C tube, it is a problem of the amplifier designer.

SE amplifiers from my photos have incredible dynamics, they easily replace transistor PP amplifiers in a home system.

I'll agree about the 6c33c... what you hear is the driver tube... they are very neutral. I think the very low plate impedance helps with this because you can get a very low output impedance which means the bass is very good, so there is nothing wrong to "notice" in that department.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
This is why I am interested in the listening impressions of @jeffreybehr. EML are simply splendid in my experience, so curious as to his findings.
Charles
1. The 300B-XLSs are yet to be delivered, but I think they're arriving soon. I'm using the original (plus a new pair) Psvanes.
2. The Allnics are continuing to burn in 24 or 21 hours/day; sound is excellent if not as 'warm' as that of the Auroras...BUT...I haven't heard the Auroras for a few weeks, and do remember that my aural memory is about 5 seconds.
3. Will be installing new output-tube plate resistors to compensate for my input Voltage of about 238VAC, and after the XLSs get here and burn in for a couple days, I'll measure their filament Voltages and adjust that series resistor...if I can ever find it.
4. After considering several different coupling caps, I'll be installing Miflex KPCUs (copper foil/'propylene/paper-in-oil), in original values of 1uF/600VDC.. Unfortunately, they're rather large and will require some fiddling to get them in.
5. Sound is still very detailed without sounding etched or unnatural and that includes spaciousness, with excellent instrument sizing and positioning.. Tonally, the sound seems to be generally neutral with perhaps a hint of warmth, but we'll see about that when I get the Auroras running again for comparisons.

Also, I'll soon be ordering AudioQuest Dragon main-ICs (3M and 5M singles with XLRs) and Dragon (HC) powercables, 1.2M for the Allnics and 1M for the PS Audio P20 regenerator.

Last edited:

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
After 15 minutes yesterday of driving thru a deluge of rain that deserts seem so capacle of delivering, I retrieved the Opera Consonance Cyber 845Ss from the repair tech.. He had replaced 2 caps in each of the frontend supplies; each of the four was underrated for the Voltage they experienced.. The amps sound plenty OK and I'll be offering them for sale soon since I now have FOUR pairs of surplus poweramps.. Pairs I'm keeping, at least temporarily, are the Allnics and Vivas which require more comparisons, and that will take this tin-eared audiofool many days.

After another mind-change, I'll be replacing the Allnics' 1uF coupling caps with 0.033uF versions, to achieve a high-pass filter of about 85Hz; do recall that these amps drive only the MR-and-treble panels of my Serenity Super-7s...and I'll operate the amps without NFB.. Will be installing Miflex KPCU caps which are built with copper foil, polypropylene, and paper-in-oil.

Emission Labs tubes still not here.

Last edited:

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
If you have the desire and the opportunity to listen to tube SET amplifiers, you can do it at the Radisson Blu Sobieski Hotel, Warsaw from October 28 to 39 in room 411. You will see that the SET can give a lively and energetic sound.
6?33? and GU-72 will make a great impression on you.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 72-5.jpg
    72-5.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 10

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com

Emission Labs tubes still not here.

Apparently (or perhaps, more accurately, 'Allegedly') the tubes left Germany today.

Have ordered more parts from Sonic Craft today.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
The EML tubes arrived last week in excellent condition.. They sound just fine but are still burning-in so no comparisons yet.. JIC your memory is as bad as mine, I purchased a tentet of these.. Have new coupling caps (original 1uF value) in Miflex copper-foil/'propylene-paper-oil) plus large metalized-'propylene replacements for the two decouplers ready to install.. Probably should trim the heater-supply output resistor for the EMLs.
2022Nov04_DSF0072_EMLs in amp_1800w.jpg

2022Nopv04_DSF0069_EMLs in box_1500h.jpg

FWIW, I'll be using these amps as the first to drive my incoming Walsh-type HHR TLS-2s..
See https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/hhrs-walsh-type-driver-full-range-speaker-systems.35742/
I'm really hoping they'll sound excellent and that 60Watts max. power will be enough at my relatively low listening levels. Else I'll be sorely tempted with another pair of PS-Audio M1200s.. If I use the M1200s, I'll be adding a series cap for a high-pass filter at somewhere around 30Hz.. The bottom octave will be handled by the incoming AudioKinesis SWARM, 2-channel, 8-box subwoofer system.

Reactions: morricab

je2a3

Apr 25, 2020
north of philly
jelabs.blogspot.com
Encouraged by @bonzo75 on this thread, here's my hifi set up composed mainly of classic audio gear + DIY tube DAC, preamps, SE DHT amps and speakers.
DSC06007.jpg
Starting on the right is my mono hifi with a Gray Research HF502 turntable + viscous damped tonearm, which feeds a mono preamp with a variable EQ 6SL7 phono stage. I use a Denon DL102 for stereo LPs + GE RPX and VRII for old mono LPs and 78s. The main speaker is an Altec 756B in a slant front 2.5cf custom cabinet augmented on top by an Altec 32C horn + 802 compression driver. This is currently driven by a 2-stage SE10 amp with Tamura F7004 nickel output transformer. I'm hoping to finish two more amps for this system this winter - a mono SE2A3 with Hashimoto OPT + a mono SE46. On the left corner is my alternate mono speaker, a GE 12" co-axial speaker from the mid 50s housed in a vintage DIY corner cabinet.

At the center is my near-field stereo set up flanked by a pair of Altec 755Cs in Silbatone cabinets mounted on Ikea Knarrevik night stands. The left rack has a direct coupled stereo SE2A3 amp, NAD 4300 FM tuner, loctal preamp (power supply at the bottom shelf), CD player + nosTDA1541tube DAC and Thorens TD124 + Stax UA3NL. On the Kallax shelf are Altec 4722 and 15095 mic transformers configured as MC SUT + a Japanese idler driven turntable with various tonearms. The left top quadrant has a stereo SE71A amplifier with Tango H55 OPTs, while on the bottom left is a Radiotron SE2A3 with FM6Ws Finemet OPTs. Finally, the bottom right has an SE46 amp with Noguchi PMF10WS OPTs. Alternate speakers for this system is a pair of Altec 755As, also in SIlbatone cabinets.

DSC06016.jpg
My main speakers are an homage to the Western Electric 753C, using Altec 414A woofers + 802D drivers + 32C horns, hence, Altec 753C. On top of the Ikea Knarrevik night stands is a pair of SE300B mono blocks with Tango NY15Snickel OPTs + Intact Audio plate chokes in the driver stage. Bottom right rack = Stereo SE2A3 amp with Tamura F7002 nickel OPTs + Intact Audio plate chokes, above the Yamaha T-2 tuner is my octal + 76 preamp (PS is under the right 300B amp), on top of this shelf is a Garrard 301 + RMG309 and SME 3012. The middle Ikea Knarrevik holds another Altec 4722 + Tamura TKS83 MC SUTs and a pair of Western Electric 111C transformers for digital processing. Bottom left rack = Simple 45 with Tamura F475 OPTs, Magnavox + Sony CDP used as transports + a Raspberry Pi 3B+/Volumio feeding another nosTDA1541tube DAC. On top of the right rack is a Garrard 401 + Alfred Bokrand AB309. Through the years, I've collected a few moving magnet, moving iron, Denon DL103 and Ortofon SPU moving coil cartridges with spherical stylus + other classic moving coils like an FR1 MKII, Sony XL44, Supex SD900 MKIV, etc.

I've been an audio hobbyist since the 80s, became a serious DIYer in the 90s and was featured home brewer in Sound Practices Issue 17. I maintain a blog to chronicle my audio adventures and other interests.

Last edited:

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@jeffreybehr
Have you drawn a conclusion with regard to the EML XLS sound quality in your system?
Charles

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Encouraged by @bonzo75 on this thread, here's my hifi set up composed mainly of classic audio gear + DIY tube DAC, preamps, SE DHT amps and speakers.
View attachment 100228
Starting on the right is my mono hifi with a Gray Research HF502 turntable + viscous damped tonearm, which feeds a mono preamp with a variable EQ 6SL7 phono stage. I use a Denon DL102 for stereo LPs + GE RPX and VRII for old mono LPs and 78s. The main speaker is an Altec 756B in a slant front 2.5cf custom cabinet augmented on top by an Altec 32C horn + 802 compression driver. This is currently driven by a 2-stage SE10 amp with Tamura F7004 nickel output transformer. I'm hoping to finish two more amps for this system this winter - a mono SE2A3 with Hashimoto OPT + a mono SE46. On the left corner is my alternate mono speaker, a GE 12" co-axial speaker from the mid 50s housed in a vintage DIY corner cabinet.

At the center is my near-field stereo set up flanked by a pair of Altec 755Cs in Silbatone cabinets mounted on Ikea Knarrevik night stands. The left rack has a direct coupled stereo SE2A3 amp, NAD 4300 FM tuner, loctal preamp (power supply at the bottom shelf), CD player + nosTDA1541tube DAC and Thorens TD124 + Stax UA3NL. On the Kallax shelf are Altec 4722 and 15095 mic transformers configured as MC SUT + a Japanese idler driven turntable with various tonearms. The left top quadrant has a stereo SE71A amplifier with Tango H55 OPTs, while on the bottom left is a Radiotron SE2A3 with FM6Ws Finemet OPTs. Finally, the bottom right has an SE46 amp with Noguchi PMF10WS OPTs. Alternate speakers for this system is a pair of Altec 755As, also in SIlbatone cabinets.

View attachment 100239
My main speakers are an homage to the Western Electric 753C, using Altec 414A woofers + 802D drivers + 32C horns, hence, Altec 753C. On top of the Ikea Knarrevik night stands is a pair of SE300B mono blocks with Tango NY15Snickel OPTs + Intact Audio plate chokes in the driver stage. Bottom right rack = Stereo SE2A3 amp with Tamura F7002 nickel OPTs + Intact Audio plate chokes, above the Yamaha T-2 tuner is my octal + 76 preamp (PS is under the right 300B amp), on top of this shelf is a Garrard 301 + RMG309 and SME 3012. The middle Ikea Knarrevik holds another Altec 4722 + Tamura TKS83 MC SUTs and a pair of Western Electric 111C transformers for digital processing. Bottom left rack = Simple 45 with Tamura F475 OPTs, Magnavox + Sony CDP used as transports + a Raspberry Pi 3B+/Volumio feeding another nosTDA1541tube DAC. On top of the right rack is a Garrard 401 + Alfred Bokrand AB309. Through the years, I've collected a few moving magnet, moving iron, Denon DL103 and Ortofon SPU moving coil cartridges with spherical stylus + other classic moving coils like an FR1 MKII, Sony XL44, Supex SD900 MKIV, etc.

I've been an audio hobbyist since the 80s, became a serious DIYer in the 90s and was featured home brewer in Sound Practices Issue 17. I maintain a blog to chronicle my audio adventures and other interests.

Awesome systems. Agree on your comments about the spus. The cheapest conical ones are the best.

Reactions: je2a3

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Thanks for the kind words!

I wish I can enter a time tunnel to the late 50s and hear the original SPU. :)

Exactly! Im looking into exactly that at the moment.

Ps! try an n35x needle on your sc35c.

Pps! I also like tda1541 and vintage sony and philips as transports.

Reactions: je2a3

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
EML manufactures superb quality tubes. But nothing, absolutely nothing pleases everyone. The KR and Elrog preferred by @bonzo75 will of course be criticized by another listener for whatever reason. Just choose what you find works out best for your particular criteria/objective/desires.
Charles
One problem with EML and KR tubes is their size. These guys like make their tubes gigantic. I have the T-Rex of the KR tubes, the T-100. Simply ginormous.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
@godofwealth
I can see the size of these tubes being an issue if they have to be place internally in some components and may be too tall.

So due to physical dimensions they may not be suitable for all. In terms of sound quality and also reliability is where the EML (XLS 300b ownership experience) shines and distinguishes itself. They possess a very rugged construction.
Charles

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I am now in dialog with Werner regarding ordering one…
Do you know how I can contact Werner? I have a pair of modded Klipschorns I used in a home theater system and wanted to order an autoformer crossover from him.

Thank you.

Sammy2000

Sep 21, 2020
Do you know how I can contact Werner? I have a pair of modded Klipschorns I used in a home theater system and wanted to order an autoformer crossover from him.

Thank you.

Check your PM

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing