bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
EML manufactures superb quality tubes. But nothing, absolutely nothing pleases everyone. The KR and Elrog preferred by @bonzo75 will of course be criticized by another listener for whatever reason. Just choose what you find works out best for your particular criteria/objective/desires.
Charles

Last edited:
Reactions: cal3713

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My understanding is that it is actually not that linear as far as triodes go but the low plate resistance has an advantage in the transformer design...or even no transformer! Most of the implementations I have owned/heard are a bit warmish in character and with balls dynamically.
Little experience with the tube in transformer coupled designs, but I do not consider that the Graaf GM20 was warmish sounding.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Little experience with the tube in transformer coupled designs, but I do not consider that the Graaf GM20 was warmish sounding.
My Silvaweld OTLs were not as warm sounding as the transformer coupled ones…but this seems to be true for OTL in general. By most accounts though Joule Electra OTLs were richly balanced.

jeffreybehr

Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona USA
www.flickr.com
Preliminary report on the Allnic A-6000s.. After replacing 39 resistors, all tubes biased correctly and the amps played music.. After an hour or so we started actually listening and were immediately pleased.. The music and space were well resolved an dthere was lots of space.. They didn't sound warm or cool--merely just right, especially they haven't played music for many months.. They'll be burning in 20- or 24hours per day for about a week.. Have a set of Emisson Labs 300B-XLSs on the way, and I'll be doing some Voltage measuring on the plate resistors and 300B filaments for resistor replacements as the next upgrade work.
2022Oct07_DSF0064_Glowing in the dark_2000w.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You mean you don’t know?

you brought in 32b and 62b Ayon into a discussion of EML, KR, Elrog, and with the face they are transparent and added the fact they are made by EML. So up to you to say how it is relevant to the point if KR and Elrog are more transparent than EML or not, or if you are just causing data noise, or if you actually either compared to EML in same amp or to KR and Elrog

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Triode Corp of Japan TRX-M845 Monos 50 Watts Parallel single ended. Will take 211 or 845's though I prefer the 845's. Speakers are Fleetwood Deville supplemented with a pair of Magico Asubs.
Honestly thought Tri wasn’t around much anymore. They had some buzz 5 years ago.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
you brought in 32b and 62b Ayon into a discussion of EML, KR, Elrog, and with the face they are transparent and added the fact they are made by EML. So up to you to say how it is relevant to the point if KR and Elrog are more transparent than EML or not, or if you are just causing data noise, or if you actually either compared to EML in same amp or to KR and Elrog
No, you made a blanket statement about EML tubes. You have heard Ayon products that use these tubes, no?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Joules were very warm - and extremely hot!
My Silvaweld OTLs are still to this day the hottest amps I ever owned…and they only had 4 x 6c33c per mono…some Joule amps has much more than that!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, you made a blanket statement about EML tubes. You have heard Ayon products that use these tubes, no?

No, I made a statement after comparing them to KR and Elrog in two different systems, and comparing KR and Elrog in others.

I heard Ayon products separately including these tubes

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
I'm confused, is there a debate happening on this topic?

You clearly stated your impression, Charles stated his, and then you make the point that he's probably listening incorrectly or using language incorrectly. Nothing's going to change your perspective, which is totally fine, but let's not pretend that any actual debate is happening.

Reactions: AudioHR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
my reply was to morricab, not to Charles, it is a separate strand, keep up.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
my reply was to morricab, not to Charles, it is a separate strand, keep up.
Hahahah. Yes, and quite specifically on the same topic of EML vs. competitors.

SVS

Jan 19, 2020
Ukraine, Vinnytsia
sound-design-atelier.com
Most of the implementations I have owned/heard are a bit warmish in character and with balls dynamically.
You are out of luck. This is the problem of "warm tube sound", in our country it is also called "grandmother's radio". This is not a problem of the 6C33C tube, it is a problem of the amplifier designer.

SE amplifiers from my photos have incredible dynamics, they easily replace transistor PP amplifiers in a home system.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
No affiliation, but there's another allnic a-6000 up on usaudiomart for what looks like a decent price. The ad claims the (additional cost) eml-xls tubes are the preferred choice of the designer...
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...itor-upgrade-10-eml-xls-300b-tubes-available/

I presumed it was already Jeffrey's and we just hadn't gotten the listening impression updates, but it isn't.
This is why I am interested in the listening impressions of @jeffreybehr. EML are simply splendid in my experience, so curious as to his findings.
Charles

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You are out of luck. This is the problem of "warm tube sound", in our country it is also called "grandmother's radio". This is not a problem of the 6C33C tube, it is a problem of the amplifier designer.

SE amplifiers from my photos have incredible dynamics, they easily replace transistor PP amplifiers in a home system.
Actually I am quite lucky as I have wonderful SET amps to play with...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing