SET amp owners thread

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I guess he saw your signature and thought YOU were the spammer. And moved past.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The mighty Wyetech 211. It dwarfs the ESLs right next to it. It actually drives the ESLs in such a wonderful way as well.

IMG_1777.jpg

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Hi,

I heard the L50 in my system for quite a while as well as the General’s system. It is a really great linestage. Actually might be my favourite solid state linestage. It was however drastically outclassed by the Mayer 10Y hence my acquisition of the latter.

CH Precision L1 with an X1 power supply will better the Mayer 10Y, but at a considerably higher price. The bare L1 is a fairer comparison, and as such is a case of different, rather than better / worse. The Mayer has a great flow to the music, with stunning tonality, whilst the L1 has a slightly wider soundstage, a bit more detail and bass precision. With the X1 it gives you the best of both.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
CH Precision L1 with an X1 power supply will better the Mayer 10Y, but at a considerably higher price. The bare L1 is a fairer comparison, and as such is a case of different, rather than better / worse. The Mayer has a great flow to the music, with stunning tonality, whilst the L1 has a slightly wider soundstage, a bit more detail and bass precision. With the X1 it gives you the best of both.
Which of the many 10Y versions are you comparing?

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
...then Tang thinks his Ayon sounds a lot better than the CH. And ddk told Tang Lamm would make his sound go beyond the Ayon. Mike on the other hand trusts that his Dart dusts the Lamm at warp nine. Mr.T has both Dart and Kondo but thinks his Kondo oust the Dart. And Bonzo probably says the Thomas Mayer edges the Kondo. :rolleyes:

Shall we do one more round?

Tang :)

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, don't you mean one more around and around?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

There are several versions of 10Y Heihei.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think a lot of things better Kondo, though I did find the m1000 sounding better than Lamm at the late Detlof's. From hei hei's perspective, a clean SS amp like CH, Soulution, Dart, will sound better than active valvey stuff or a full bodied class A sound like vitus or FM pre with the Berning quadratures

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also Gian prefers CH to Kondo so we are back to where we started. This is like groundhog day

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
What's the feeling regarding SET designs implemented with only a single output tube, compared to so many SETs using multiple output tubes in parallel to provide more power? Seems intuitive that running multiple tubes in parallel eliminates some of the simplicity and purity that a single tube output would offer, but I'd be interested in hearing other opinions in this regard. TIA and happy new year to all!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What power are you looking at? KR va 200 is the best high powered such amp I have heard, and it is multiple valves. But then you have to make sure they stay in sync over time. Jack will probably tell you the same

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
What's the feeling regarding SET designs implemented with only a single output tube, compared to so many SETs using multiple output tubes in parallel to provide more power? Seems intuitive that running multiple tubes in parallel eliminates some of the simplicity and purity that a single tube output would offer, but I'd be interested in hearing other opinions in this regard. TIA and happy new year to all!

Several years ago I was looking for a great “low power” tube amp. I had heard the Ayon amps at many international shows and in every case they performed superbly. So I asked Gerhardt Hirt, owner of Ayon, this question: “If power level is not a consideration, which amp has the best purity of their amplifiers?”. He recommended the Crossfire which has a single output tube (per channel). I have had many amplifiers in house and the Crossfire is still our favorite (with all the caveats. Within power limit and amplifier to speaker synergy).

And then some amplifiers with multiple output tubes can be run with some of the tubes unplugged. Check with the manufacturer on this.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hang on, didn't you have an issue with not turning this into an SS v Tube thread, seems like you are doing just that LOL.

Seriously? They are doing specific pre compares not a general can SS do better than tubes or vice versa where Mike is voted out as the bad guy

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Simplicity yes, but why purity? Unless they are very mismatched the curves of a composite tube are as "pure" as those of a single tube. However, putting tubes in parallel will lower the output impedance of the device, increasing the damping factor considerably. This will surely affect the sound attributes of the amplifier.

Lamm and conrad johnson, among many others, use composite triodes using many triode sections in parallel - up to 10 in the ART preamplfier - in their top preamplfier model. I never heard that this affects the "purity" of their designs.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Also Gian prefers CH to Kondo so we are back to where we started. This is like groundhog day
But unlike groundhog day, here is no correct solution, only personal preferences ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing