'ShaknSpin' and 'ShaknSpin2' Turntable Analysers

Reactions: PeterA
The sensor needs to be placed underneath the platter. I used a small piece of wood to which I attached the sensor and I placed it behind the plinth with a small patch of blue tack between the piece of wood and the platform so the sensor would not move.

If I understand correctly you use a block of wood to raise the sensor above the plinth (1 24/32") so it reaches to within 1/8" of the magnet on the bottom of the platter?

Did you glue or double-stick tape the block of wood in place on the plinth? (I am afraid it will look DIY.)

IMG_9311.jpeg

If I understand correctly you use a block of wood to raise the sensor above the plinth (1 24/32") so it reaches to within 1/8" of the magnet on the bottom of the platter?

Did you glue or double-stick tape the block of wood in place on the plinth? (I am afraid it will look DIY.)

View attachment 119369

Yes. The block of wood was not on the plinth but on the platform on which my Balance TT was residing. I used a very small patch of Blue Tack to make it stick to the platform. The magnet is delivered with a soft removable glue.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Yes. The block of wood was not on the plinth but on the platform on which my Balance TT was residing. I used a very small patch of Blue Tack to make it stick to the platform. The magnet is delivered with a soft removable glue.

Sorry, my mistake. Yes, I meant the platform.

Ron, my whole TT rig has a thrown together look (let's not think about the sound), so a somewhat higgledy-piggledy SOTA Condor/Eclipse/RoadRunner speed tach/motor lash up here is no problem aesthetically.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
I got one of these Shaknspin last week. I like it. Simple to use. I check/adjust the speed of my table at every session. I also have the KAB and a label size strobe like what Peter mentions. I’ll install the RPM app on my phone and compare that with the Shaknspin and the strobes.

@djsina2 enquiring minds would love to know how you got on with a comparison of RPM app and the Shaknspin? :)

i will receive my new ShaknSpin 2 today and so I am in real danger of beating @djsina2 to the punch. i aim to provide an insight for members as to the RPM app and how the numbers compare with a dedicated device. in the RPM app i have been getting "w/f%" down to 0.10. the only issue is i have no idea what the metric represents as the RPM app is mum on the topic (possibly).

i wish i had kept track of these things since i first got the 401. the latest installation of Classical Turntable Company "Shindo" platter halved the w/f% number on the RPM app.

in the RPM app i have been getting "w/f%" down to 0.10. the only issue is i have no idea what the metric represents as the RPM app is mum on the topic (possibly).
It’s percentage w&f. Which means your turntable’s w&f is 0.10%. The measurement standard is probably RMS. RPM measurement depend highly on accelerometers inside the iphone and vary between phones. Latest iphones show higher numbers old iphones and probably android phones show lower number. IME iphone 6s was measuring 0.06% while iphone 12 measuring 0.09%.

Try this one. It measures 10 seconds for w&f and %0.03-0.04 is the best I get with iphone 15 pro max. These number can be halved with older iphones or android phones depending on the model.

OK so all up what i found was that the ShaknSpin is just a very charismatic measuring tool that begs to be used. i haven't touched app since. the rpm app is good for speed more or less. terrible for W/F measurement. no longer need to centre a cardboard tube and then balance phone on it. the calibration done by ShaknSpin is also very good. one just feels in total control of things.

index.php

Above are some examples with Shaknspin data for different turntables. The data from the app can be transferred to Excel, and I massaged the data there for the presentation above.

Below my Denon 51F DD
index.php
Shaknspin is very useful , especially if you have a belt drive since they vary more and drift compared to DD,
IMG_3704.png
The plots above is my Denon 51F and it is has better stability than a new Technics 1200GR that Fremer published Shaknspin test on.

Thanks to Shaknspin I was able to get reliable speed data and then I could -by trial and error on leveling and belt tension - reduce wow from 0.2% to 0.05% in my Belt drive Michell Gyro, values for the phone app for you to compare

Note: My Shaknspin absolute speed can be off , 33.42 is 33.33 on strobedisk.

Many of the phone apps do not present DIN or JIS W&F values, just the variation in%. See the Shaknspin documentation for explanations and definitions. Without a reference to the method or standard a simple % value can be very misleading. What I look for is Peak Wow that is close to the 2S value( 95% of the data are less than the 2S value) . This is a good indicator of the speed quality and can be compared directly with most phone apps Wow value. The DIN and JIS (WRMS) values will be lower numbers but can also hide many problems that are obvious in a time plot as given at the top

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing