Should I turn my XP-22 off when not being used?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Before the XP-22 I had an XP-20. The 20 didn’t have a power switch, so it was on all the time. A couple of years ago I upgraded to the XP-22, and it does have a power switch. After getting it I have left it powered on all the time. A few months ago it developed a problem, but is now repaired and working fine. However, I wonder if I had powered it off when not being used if it wouldn’t have broke. I listen to my stereo on Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday nights, but the pre is on all the time.

As an experiment, I am going to start turning it off when shutting down Wednesday morning, and Sunday morning. Unless someone can make a good point about leaving it on 7/24. Thanks.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A solid state device can benefit from being left on. Indeed my receiver has standby mode. Voltage surge or lightning strike can be a problem. Don't just turn lit off. Unplug it. Should you decide to go that route.
I recommend the Trip-lite surge protector

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Any chance you can call Pass and ask them? I leave my Spectral preamp on 24/7. When I asked Spectral they said it was designed to be left on.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
As this post is months old, I forgot about it. Turning if off lasted a week, and it has been on non stop since then.

In so far as the problem, last year it started popping in the left channel. Some component went bad, and I sent it back to Pass. They fixed it, no charge, and returned it after some burn in and testing. Works fine now.

passfreak

Sep 24, 2018
Thanks for the update BlueFox. I read someone else created a thread also had an issue with their 22...so you are the second owner who has had to send their 22 back. Should one be concerned that there may possibly be a quality issue?
Paying good money for a product with the reputation of Pass, one does not expect to see any problem.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Any piece of electronic gear can fail. While my XP-22 did have a problem, Pass quickly fixed it (for free), and it has worked great since then. I certainly would buy another if I needed a second preamp.

Reactions: Mikem53

PASS_10

Apr 6, 2020
I just had the same thing happen to my XP-22. Popping in the left channel. Not sure what's wrong with it but it sounds like a typical capacitor failure. I had an old Pioneer receiver from the 70's go in a similar way years ago. Bad time for it to go and I'm on the other coast so shipping it back isn't cheap!

I was curious if anyone else had this issue. So far seems like there are three of us on here.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
No problems on my XP-22. Except during storms here in FL I keep mine on 24/7. Works perfectly so far.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
If any parts are weak, but still work, a "turn on surge" of electricity can cause the weak part to fail.

Cycling a device on and off is used to "burn in", and kill off weak (soon to fail) parts in space and military production.

Keep the XP-22 on 24/7.

If a failure occurs Pass Labs will replace the part, and the unit will be more reliable in the future

If you turn off the XP-22 it will take a day or two of being on to return to best sound quality.

Last edited:

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I leave mine on all the time, as Pass recommends.. everything else too, except power amps..

Reactions: PeterA

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
A solid state device can benefit from being left on. Indeed my receiver has standby mode. Voltage surge or lightning strike can be a problem. Don't just turn lit off. Unplug it. Should you decide to go that route.
I recommend the Trip-lite surge protector
Agreed, but you can do much better than Trip-lite or other devices using MOV’s.
Zerosurge

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
it has been some time since i purchased a Triplitre(tm).It is built like a brick outhouse. You can stand on it without damage. At the the time they guaranteed to replace your equipment as a result of a direct lightening strike. However they never claimed any sonic benefits.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
it has been some time since i purchased a Triplitre(tm).It is built like a brick outhouse. You can stand on it without damage. At the the time they guaranteed to replace your equipment as a result of a direct lightening strike. However they never claimed any sonic benefits.
Good morning Greg, I didn’t mean in imply any negativity towards your choice, more towards the use of MOV’s as the main protection element. Zerosurge and Brickwall surge protectors were originally developed to protect medical equipment Without using sacrificial parts. They are also 3rd party tested and certified. Most importantly, they don’t divert the surge to ground which is connected to all your other equipment.
im not affiliated in any way, just a fan of the technology and proven results. The sonic benefit, if any, comes from some line filtering for noise reduction. I use the brickwall unit on my HT system, 22 years now. I recently purchased the zerosurge unit for my main system. Lots of thunderstorms here and my DAC takes Too long to warm up. I don’t notice any sonic differences, they say it’s not current limiting.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Just as an update, my XP-22 has been on nonstop since around September 2019. No issues, and it sounds great.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Just as an update, my XP-22 has been on nonstop since around September 2019. No issues, and it sounds great.

do you keep your amps on 24.7?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I just keep the low power components on 24.7, Amps get turned off when I’m done listening for the day..
They just get Fired up an hour or 2 before play..

Reactions: XV-1

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

My amps have a stand-by option where they aren't on, but not completely off either. However, they need to be full on for at least 4-6 hours before sounding great. So, they are not on 24/7.

Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing