Shunyata Grounding System

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Solid wire Stephen?
Sure, that will work. I used stranded wire, but solid wire will work, too. The most important attribute for grounding applications is impedance, so any quality or design that will reduce impedance will be beneficial. Obviously, larger gauge will have lower impedance than a smaller gauge wire. This is why the Alpha cables sound better than the Venom/Delta and why Omega sounds better than Alpha (though the CMode filter helps, too.) The Shunyata ground cables are stranded, not solid wire, FWIW.

Last edited:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
If you segment a system, where you would connect a DAC, to the Altaira SGC where they are connected is the Server, the Switch and the Router or the Altaira SGC where the amplifier and preamplifier are connected.
Try it both ways and go with what set-up sounds best in your system. Either approach is valid, so let your ears be your guide. When I had my Lampizator, I was connecting ER and the Lampi to one SG Altaira, and the pre, phono stage and amp to the other SG Altaira hub.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Thx

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I was reading Jaccob Heilbrunn review of the CAD ground boxes. He noted some of the dynamic wallop was muted.
Has anyone listened to their Altaira with a focus on dynamics?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
As I indicated, I recently heard the Altira at Robert Harley's. In his system and inserting my WestminsterLabs amplifiers there was no diminution of dynamic wallop and an immediate overall improvement of making everything our amplifiers are known for "more better". I would surmise there may be different/better results from considerably more expensive grounding solutions ala CAD, Entreq others, however, I am now convinced that in most systems having an effective chassis ground escape path will make a considerable difference for the better. I am hoping to have a Shunyata for testing in my system in the near future and will report back.

Note:
RH's current speakers under review from Wilson Benesch with matching subs will not match the dynamic wallop of his mighty Wilson Whamm Master Chronosonic and matching subwoofers, so in that system his conclusion is entirely feasible.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I was reading Jaccob Heilbrunn review of the CAD ground boxes. He noted some of the dynamic wallop was muted.
Absolutely, yes. I have two signal grounding zones via two Altaira SG Hubs. The Altaira have no negative impact on dynamics at all; in fact between the SG hubs and moving up from the Triton v3 and Typhon QR combo I'd been running for almost 5 years, to an Everest 8000 in general and specific to the improved chassis grounding plane and filters in the Everest, dynamics and overall capabilities of my system have improved drammatically.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Absolutely, yes. I have two signal grounding zones via two Altaira SG Hubs. The Altaira have no negative impact on dynamics at all; in fact between the SG hubs and moving up from the Triton v3 and Typhon QR combo I'd been running for almost 5 years, to an Everest 8000 in general and specific to the improved chassis grounding plane and filters in the Everest, dynamics and overall capabilities of my system have improved drammatically.
I have three Altaira Signal Grounds in my system and there have been zero drawbacks.
The three foundational pillars for a world-class system are: Power / Grounding / Vibration.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have three Altaira Signal Grounds in my system and there have been zero drawbacks.
How have they changed the sound of your system? In what sonic ways, specifically?

Thank you.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
How have they changed the sound of your system? In what sonic ways, specifically?

Thank you.
Here are the listening notes I made when I first connected the Signal Hub (note that break-in is ~250 hours):
  • Listening notes:
    • More high end detail: Manha de Carnival Dexter Gordon Montmartre 1964. Cymbals were hidden before!
    • Better localization (Sounds of Movies, which was never top notch in this regard)
    • Newport 1958 (Remastered): big difference! Clarity, localization
    • More authority and presence! Especially in the higher frequencies, upper midrange
    • Lights of Barcelona - wow! More “energy”
    • Norah J: Nightingale - high hats were obscured! Never heard them before!
    • Bach - less bow wander between channels! Basically perfect.
    • More “musical”, less analytical. And there were definitely high frequencies that were completely inaudible before!
The Altaira is a huge upgrade. And my house is under 10 years old with new wiring.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Here are the listening notes I made when I first connected the Signal Hub (note that break-in is ~250 hours):
  • Listening notes:
    • More high end detail: Manha de Carnival Dexter Gordon Montmartre 1964. Cymbals were hidden before!
    • Better localization (Sounds of Movies, which was never top notch in this regard)
    • More authority and presence! Especially in the higher frequencies, upper midrange
    • More “musical”, less analytical. And there were definitely high frequencies that were completely inaudible before!
The Altaira is a huge upgrade. And my house is under 10 years old with new wiring.
Thank you!

I do not want to misinterpret you, but when I read "high end detail" "clarity" "higher frequencies" "upper midrange" "cymbals and high hats no longer obscured" "more energy" it sounds like a presence region or high frequency emphasis?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thank you!

I do not want to misinterpret you, but when I read "high end detail" "clarity" "higher frequencies" "upper midrange" "cymbals and high hats no longer obscured" "more energy" it sounds like a presence region or high frequency emphasis?
I wouldn’t say “emphasis”; but I can see why one might interpret that. I would say more “revealing” in the high frequencies- there were cymbals for example which were not as noticeable before.
There is also a greater sense of overall “energy” across all frequencies.
I agreed with the Absolute Sound(?) review as well.
If you have an Denali or Everest already, adding the Altaira is a no brainer, in my opinion. I think a retailer will take it back if you’re not satisfied.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I wonder how the isolation transformers play in. Jacob has and Equitech. They add dynamics and life. SC and Zei do not. Whats the impact.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022

And another review where for the same reason someone liked the Puritan grounding system over the CAD.

Really wonder how the Puritan stacks up against the Altaira.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What is “SC”and “Zei”?
SCAudiophile and Zeotrope. Neither have an isolation transformer. I have mentioned Shunyata has a dedicated transformer that isolates their listening room. What is that doing to the performance of anything they make. Just asking the question. I have never measured.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Yup!

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I wouldn’t say “emphasis”; but I can see why one might interpret that. I would say more “revealing” in the high frequencies- there were cymbals for example which were not as noticeable before.
There is also a greater sense of overall “energy” across all frequencies.
I agreed with the Absolute Sound(?) review as well.
If you have an Denali or Everest already, adding the Altaira is a no brainer, in my opinion. I think a retailer will take it back if you’re not satisfied.
Yup. BIngo. The high frequencies have improved clarity and extension, but not at the expense of "naturalness". The presentation has more "information", yet is more "relaxed" as Hans Beekhuizen says.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area

Thank you.
Read Harley's review in TAS. I think it's safe to say, and I'd predict the other Altaira owners would agree, it's not quite like anything you've experienced before. And once you experience it, there's no frickin' way you're ever gonna go back.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
  • Listening notes:
Yeah, it's got virtually nothing to do with the wiring in your home....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing