Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodrand

Congrats to your New Toy :)

I’m very happy with my two 3012Rs, mounted “historically correct” on a Thorens TD 127, and 520 respectively.

Question: On your Manual Cover it shows 3012R “Special”.
What’s “special “with your model ?

Regards

Urs
Thank you, Urs! Still getting to know 3012R and enjoying more music this evening. The original manual says "Special", but I am not sure what it means. Can't see any difference between my arm and others. Maybe someone else in here has got the answer?

Reactions: UEM
There was a different version of the 3012R that was quite rare and short lived, it was meant to be produced for the Japanese market called the 31012R Pro the arm still said 3012r on it, it had different internal and external wire and a silver arm lift together with a few tolerance differences this also was meant to come supplied with a fluid damper. Some normal 3012R tonearms also were shipped with the silver arm lift just to use the parts up.
There were also differences in thickness of the 3012R arm tube over its production time, this did change the overall character. I actually liked the sound of the thicker walled tube it had a far more human sound to it, but one would need both arms side by side to know without measuring the tube its impossible to tell visually. The designation Series 11 3012r is just a label thing the earlier arms had that designation, as it was after the otoriganal series 11 production. There were times in later production that some of these old labels were used same for the boxes I have collectors all around wanting the series 11 3012r more so just for the label. Nearly all of the 3012r tonearms were built by one man Laurence a unassuming character who was eager to learn and develop his skills he now works part time building tonearms we would quite often discuss how it was almost impossible to make to arms identical, at the time of the 3012r the head of production was Graham Whitley who was with the company for around 40 years, his position was taken over by Brian Laker who was involved with the production of the 3012r till the last day.
There is a 3012RPro on sale here, fully boxed. If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the seller.

Reactions: UEM
Hello everyone

I've been reading this thread with interest as I have had a 3012R for about 25 years and haven't taken it seriously. (just stamped on the base as 3012R, no Series 2 or anything. Serial No. 345905 for those who might be interested :) )
I only use it as a second arm for mono duties, with a heavy rigid head shell and a Miyajima Zero 0.7. Its not fine tuned, not carefully adjusted, but in that combination I'm delighted with it, particularly enjoying its air and openness. Like I said, underappreciated, ignored and not fine tuned.

I'm now thinking about dropping it back to SME for a service as I'm curious about how it might work with my Koetsu Urushi. However, in the first 17 pages of this thread I can't see any comments on the 3012R with Koetsu so apologies if I have missed something later on.
I'd appreciate any perspectives this group can share. For instance, am I wasting my time with a Koetsu? To get the best out of it should I find a standard SME head shell or use something like an Arche? I'm also thinking of getting the connection changed to a DIN socket. Again, appreciate any advice & perspectives 'cos I'm ignorant. Thanks!

Reactions: Petrat
Koetsu sounds awful on it. For koetsu get an fr64s or get some other cart for the SME. The new vdh Stradivarius carts work great with it. Also zyx and airtight and will be others. Not red sparrow and no Lyra

Sorry, I can't support the view re: KOETSU and SME,
but maybe- as usual….!!: the devil is in the details
(My 3012R has a modified bronze bearing and the Thorens TD520 has a special wooden arm-board)

I had two KOETSU in use: a Rosewood Signature Platinum , which I sold, and an Onyx , (With I understand the same Platinum generator as the RSP)

I admit, I have no reference or comparison, how my versions - or a different Koetsu model - could or would sound on another tonearm or TT

see here:
Koetsu | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com)

NOTE: I have changed the headshell in the meantime; I'm using now a Audio Replas silica glass RHS-1 HR;
also in my “initial excitement” I failed to properly adjust the azimuth & VTA on the ONYX :mad:

Hence the ONYX sounds now how I expect - Needless to say: I'm VERY happy :)

Regards

Urs

Last edited:
Well, both views are useful. I'm assuming DDK will say its OK, Bonzo was always going to say it doesn't work (see, I have been paying attention :) ) but its more the detail of other opinions I'm interested in. Thanks for both your replies guys!

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75
Well, both views are useful. I'm assuming DDK will say its OK, Bonzo was always going to say it doesn't work (see, I have been paying attention :) ) but its more the detail of other opinions I'm interested in. Thanks for both your replies guys!
You nailed that one ;)! If you like Koetsus they work very well in the 3012-R better than other arms I’ve owned, they’re just not my taste.

Stick with the SME headshell it was designed specifically for the tonearm, again IME other headshells introduce unwanted color, some wooden or carbon fiber ones over dampen and can end up in a bland sound. I have direct experience with Arche and definitely not ideal with the SME. Some will disagree with this but this is my objective and subjective opinion.

If you’re going to service your tonearm make sure you ask them not to rewire it, the new silver wire they use isn’t as natural sounding as their old copper one. If not abused or modified there’s nothing that will wear out in the tonearm except for the rubber grommets that dry out and harden and need changing from time to time.

Setup is critical!

david

Reactions: mtemur
Koetsu sounds awful on it. For koetsu get an fr64s or get some other cart for the SME. The new vdh Stradivarius carts work great with it. Also zyx and airtight and will be others. Not red sparrow and no Lyra

Why no Lyra, Bonzo? My friend has an Atlas SL Lambda on his 3012R, but I can't isolate the contribution of that combination.

Why no Lyra, Bonzo? My friend has an Atlas SL Lambda on his 3012R, but I can't isolate the contribution of that combination.

It was extremely dull at Tang's compared to how Lyra usually is, and Shane confirmed that after trying sme 3012r with his Lyra as well.

This thread inspired me to buy a SME3012R from Japan . If its good enough for some of the players it should be a good tonearm. In fact, I may buy another sme 3012 S2 which a friend claimed to be v good. 1 noticed from this thread, most are using with modern catridges like VDH, Atlas , MSL. Don’t see many using it with SPU except for Dr Thomas Lim from HK with 2 SPU Century on this AF zero . Hmm

This thread inspired me to buy a SME3012R from Japan . If its good enough for some of the players it should be a good tonearm. In fact, I may buy another sme 3012 S2 which a friend claimed to be v good. 1 noticed from this thread, most are using with modern catridges like VDH, Atlas , MSL. Don’t see many using it with SPU except for Dr Thomas Lim from HK with 2 SPU Century on this AF zero . Hmm
I have used a SPU Century on my 3012R and it works well. IMG_20190917_215316.jpg

Hi Howie . Maybe we have common friends in Tony Tsui & Kenneth lau HK ? Will be using SPU Century with Thomas Schick unless I buy another SME3012.
Actually I bought it to play with my Miyajima Infinity . It sounded so good with a Reed TA that I spending most of my time listening to mono now . But I realized it wouldn’t fit into the SME headshell . Looks like I got to pair with Thomas Schick graphite headshell

Hi Howie . Maybe we have common friends in Tony Tsui & Kenneth lau HK ? Will be using SPU Century with Thomas Schick unless I buy another SME3012.
Actually I bought it to play with my Miyajima Infinity . It sounded so good with a Reed TA that I spending most of my time listening to mono now . But I realized it wouldn’t fit into the SME headshell . Looks like I got to pair with Thomas Schick graphite headshell
Sorry. I don't know them unless Ken Lau is the LPS guy?

It was extremely dull at Tang's compared to how Lyra usually is, and Shane confirmed that after trying sme 3012r with his Lyra as well.
Something was off then because the Lyra sounded great when I was there, in fact the main 3 cartridges were the Lyra, AT and vdH.

david

Something was off then because the Lyra sounded great when I was there, in fact the main 3 cartridges were the Lyra, AT and vdH.

david

AT vdh and zyx all sounded nice on SME. The Lyra and the GFS didn't. The GFS sounded good on axiom. And then tang later preferred the Lyra on Sat, and Shane had the same finding on Lyra/SME.

SPU & 3012R

I can only support this combo.
My dealer recommended it, hence I started with a "Synergy" and a few years later I now immensely enjoy the CENTURY

Regards

Urs

Reactions: pcosta and Petrat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing