Something special for @LL21

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! I am flattered there is a thread with my name on it! Thanks for sending this...this is one of the Rockport's I have not heard but read quite a lot about. A tremendous speaker no doubt.

I also would love to hear it...that said, I will updating about speakers hopefully soon.

Reactions: bonzo75

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I also would love to hear it...that said, I will updating about speakers hopefully soon.

Hope you've found yourself in a position to scratch the Arrakis itch.

Whatever you're looking at, must be special if you're contemplating a move away from the big Wilson's

Best of luck

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Imagine that, Lloyd finally gets the Arrakis
I finally decide on streaming
Ked gets a system
The Big Crunch happens
New Big Bang
After 15 billion years, What's Best Forum starts
Wash/rinse/repeat...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hope you've found yourself in a position to scratch the Arrakis itch.

Whatever you're looking at, must be special if you're contemplating a move away from the big Wilson's

Best of luck
Well, assuming that installation is next week as tentatively planned, then the upgrade is our existing X1s to the XLF. We managed to get one at a great price, proper warranty, properly and professionally installed.

I will update when it is in, and explain why after discussing the acquisition of a 2nd hand Arrakis about 10 weeks ago, we elected to make the decision to move away from those titans. But for good order and not leaving any negative connotation on passing on the Arrakis, it was simply that owning an Arrakis in our home requires a LOT of commitment of space and works:
- all of our cabling was already channeled under the floors so you see no cables...getting a 2nd pair of Opus was a problem
- Then there is the 2nd Gryphon Mephisto, the TWO additional sets of Opus ICs, the ADDITIONAL 30' Opus SC
- Then channeling that under the floor with the rest of the cables (so you dont see them)
- And then there is not the same level of coverage of Rockport in this country that there is of Wilson, CJ, Zanden, TA, etc

So we went with my other favorite speaker of all time, the XLF (GT Silver/Parchment grilles). In truth, when we thought we were going with the Arrakis a few months ago, I did always wonder what the room would sound like with the XLFs given how nuanced it can be.

If all goes well, I will update next week. And then we need to tackle the next part of speakers which is where might we go from the 1 Velodyne DD18+.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sounds like the practical choice. If it was simply a case of out w the old, and in w the new, and nothing else to add, maybe the Arrakis would have been undeniable.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Congratulations!

Arrakis and practicality are hardly words one might expect to see in the same sentence, can understand your choice

Best of luck with the install, hope it goes smoothly and look forward to hearing how you get on.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you both...it has been a long time coming since i first heard the XLF when it came out in 2012. I listened in a system I knew well and had spent years doing auditions of equipment. I knew it was Arrakis or XLF and knowing the remarkably unlimited scale of the Arrakis, I always imagined that the Arrakis would win the day.

But very rapidly (even years ago), I always had to take my hat off to David Wilson whose mantra was always making great sound reproduction possible in many rooms and in many situations...hence the adjustability of his speakers with changes in resistors to literally change dispersion of each cone, as well as obviously the movements of each cone to focus and adjust to the room dynamics.

But as part of that mantra, he also managed to get it about right that the big Wilsons represented the most practical volumetric space in which to deliver sound (as big as possible but still fitting within 8'/2.5m ceiling...able to focus down to 2.5m/8' listening distance)...and yet with 13" and 15" cones and massive dynamic capability...it could fill much bigger spaces comfortably...particularly when partnered with the right subs.

The Arrakis is wonderful, but you have to be ready to take it on in my estimation. And the room has to be ready as well. Ours is...except the fact that we had designed it already 5 years ago for a certain scale, and the Arrakis frankly breaches that scale in terms of equipment racks, underfloor trunking, etc.

I look at Arnie's custom room which is stunning...and realize that this is the kind of dedication that really makes the Arrakis shine. (And by the way, he has dual stacks of REL subs...3 subs-tall each!)

Absolutely thrilled on our side and considered ourselves truly blessed to be looking forward to the XLFs and already owning the X1s for 10 years. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Reactions: GMKF and Aussienut

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
CONGRATULATIONS, LLOYD!!! :D

I know this decision has been a very long time in the making, with extremely thoughtful and careful analysis by you on many dimensions and implications.

I hope the XLFs give you another ten years of listening pleasure!

We look foward to the installation updates and to the listening reports!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So we went with my other favorite speaker of all time, the XLF (GT Silver/Parchment grilles). In truth, when we thought we were going with the Arrakis a few months ago, I did always wonder what the room would sound like with the XLFs given how nuanced it can be.

Congratulations and enjoy in great health!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you both, Ron and Ack!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sounds like the practical choice. If it was simply a case of out w the old, and in w the new, and nothing else to add, maybe the Arrakis would have been undeniable.
Funny you should say that...I spent some meaningful time speaking with Andy Payor and Josh and expressly went thru options:

1. Can I run the Arrakis passive (ie, 1 amp) for now. Unfortunately the active Arrakis is not designed to be used with only 1 amp...it MUST be used with Active crossver and 2 amps.

2. I then asked if any passive Arrakis are around. Seems like no...most have been upgraded to Active.

3. I then asked if Arrakis is still being made...but they are not. So no possibility to have one done passive...which would have been expensive in any event once one considers custom order, shipping, 20% import duty, etc

And then there was undeniable call of the XLF which I have always admired since first hearing it in 2012. Having done my homework on Arrakis, the choice became very clear. And as I said for that ultimate scale (which I am looking for), I am now looking longer term at custom designs for subs that will run sub 38hz or so down to 10hz or so like Thor to really that special sense of 'spacial cues' and venues which comes from subterranean information.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
LL21, did the XLF installation work out as you'd hoped?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for asking. They are here! But not set up properly yet...we expect to have full calibration in around 10 days or so...will certainly report back. For now, they are beautifully made, much sleeker and clearly more solidly made in terms of sound. Will not comment on actual music reproduction until they are properly calibrated. But the initial sounds are very promising.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Congrats!

Look forward to hearing how you get on

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you! Will be sure to update..!

Reactions: Aussienut

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing