Sonus Faber Aida vs. Wilson XLF (with the MBL 101 Extreme thrown-in for fun)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Elliot, how large was the room that you heard the XLF's in? To me, the size of the room is perhaps the most critical aspect of getting great performance from a speaker. Too big a speaker for the room, which I think is EXTREMELY common to most a'philes and dealers's, and this becomes an unsurmountable problem, IMO.
Same thing with too small a speaker for the room. Seems obvious, but it also seems like this is the easiest trap for a'philes to fall into. I guess we look at those BIG speakers and dream....:D
BTW, I think the new Alexia's and the XLF are truly a MAJOR step up for Wilson, and a long time in coming.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
MrA
I'm sorry but your statement is wrong. Its not A Wilson thing its a system thing. If not in a great room with great gear and an even better set up nothing sounds always good. SORRY.
This is the issue with Audio IMO a total wanting the easy way out. Its not different with race cars or cooking etc etc.
Its ALL in the details.
It isn't about the money as much as it is about the physics of the room. Take a small Aerial 5t and a decent amp they will always sound great.
Understand the science and it will make it much easier to know why things sound bad.

Of course i understand what you mean BUT if you can afford a pair of 200k speakers i expect that you have the RIGHT room for them, same with race cars you don't buy a race car then complain about the price of fuel, both partys should know what they are doing.

PS: I have been attending audio shows for over 25 years and i have heard the Wilsons sound OK just once and in my book it wasn't always the show conditions because everyone was in the SAME conditions and others much cheaper sounded much better, guess i'm just not a Wilson fan i'll stick with my stats and save mucho mucho $$$$$.:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(... in bold )

MrAcoustat,

Can I politely ask you to post in normal writing? Your permanent bold style makes reading these posts very uncomfortable for me, specially when reviewing posts.

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
I know both speakers. Both are excellent.

For me the Aida (and the big Gryphon for example) is the right speaker if you are looking for speaker which shows you the real world. The Wilson is the right speaker if you are looking for a speaker who shows you what is on the record.

Both need a very big rooms with excellent Sources. Without they sounded terrible.

I never heard the big MBL (accept on the Highend but this means nothing). The small MBL is for my opinion not in the class of the AIDA or Wilson XLF.

best

Josef

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
MrAcoustat,

Can I politely ask you to post in normal writing? Your permanent bold style makes reading these posts very uncomfortable for me, specially when reviewing posts.

Dear microstrip i have always posted in bold because for me it is easier to see and for many others like me, if this was not permited it would be different, no i am not yelling it is only for people like me that have bad eyesight, i'm sorry if it is uncomfortable for you but for me it's much easier to read sorry.

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I know both speakers. Both are excellent.

For me the Aida (and the big Gryphon for example) is the right speaker if you are looking for speaker which shows you the real world. The Wilson is the right speaker if you are looking for a speaker who shows you what is on the record.

Both need a very big rooms with excellent Sources. Without they sounded terrible.

I never heard the big MBL (accept on the Highend but this means nothing). The small MBL is for my opinion not in the class of the AIDA or Wilson XLF.

best

Josef

Yes Joseph you're right but the small MBL'S are not in the same price bracket as the other two mentioned.:)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
yes youre right :)

I love the Sonus Faber Aida BUT if my bank account would permit this would be my dream system.

Now it's me not in the same price bracket. :) ( just dreaming )

MBL - My dream system 04.jpg

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Or simply change font and size.

Not sure how enlarging your own postings makes it any easier to read those of others....

But, maybe I'm missing something.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

Suggest you get a larger monitor or some prescription eyeglasses to use while you're surfing the net.;-)

I am taking note of you're suggestion, but for now bold will do just fine.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot, how large was the room that you heard the XLF's in? To me, the size of the room is perhaps the most critical aspect of getting great performance from a speaker. Too big a speaker for the room, which I think is EXTREMELY common to most a'philes and dealers's, and this becomes an unsurmountable problem, IMO.
Same thing with too small a speaker for the room. Seems obvious, but it also seems like this is the easiest trap for a'philes to fall into. I guess we look at those BIG speakers and dream....:D
BTW, I think the new Alexia's and the XLF are truly a MAJOR step up for Wilson, and a long time in coming.
Davey,
I don't have the dimensions but if I was to take a guess it was around 20 feet wide and 30 feet long. I f you go on the transparent site I believe they have pics of the room

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Of course i understand what you mean BUT if you can afford a pair of 200k speakers i expect that you have the RIGHT room for them, same with race cars you don't buy a race car then complain about the price of fuel, both partys should know what they are doing.

PS: I have been attending audio shows for over 25 years and i have heard the Wilsons sound OK just once and in my book it wasn't always the show conditions because everyone was in the SAME conditions and others much cheaper sounded much better, guess i'm just not a Wilson fan i'll stick with my stats and save mucho mucho $$$$$.:)

I think show sound stinks...Always
I dont agree with your statement since many people buy this type of gear and yet are unwilling to do what's required to improve the listening room. I have 40 years as a dealer to back that statement up

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I dont agree with your statement since many people buy this type of gear and yet are unwilling to do what's required to improve the listening room. I have 40 years as a dealer to back that statement up

You have a right to you're opinion but i for one love big panels but i know full well that they need room to breathe, if i had the room i would own Spectra 8800s but i don't so the 1+1s will do just fine. Yes Bob it's live and let live.:)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
24 by 32 with 14 foot ceilings.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had the great pleasure to spend a few days last week at Transparent Audio in Saco Maine. This is just outside of Portland which is a great place to visit. It is a young hip vibrant city with great food and tons of LOBSTER.
At transparent they have not one but two pairs of XLF's in two identical listening rooms. One is at the factory and the other and the Sumner's home listening room. I was fortunate to hear these speakers in both locations with a variety of music. We used CD, High resolution downloads and Master recordings from the Portland Symphony.
First a disclaimer, I have never really been in love with Wilson speakers. It is not the speakers per se but rather I am fan of line source, planars, ribbons and stats. I like some of the large "box speakers" but was never really blown away with any of them over long term exposure. I liked the Focal Grand Utopia EM, some of the Magico's although never heard the big ones really blow me away. I have heard Maxx 3's sound really good a few times.
Ok so enough background!
The XLF's in Maine were just terrific. They did everything well and we did a lot of listening. I got to hear every cable in the line and besides being cool it was very informative not only about the cables but about the speakers as well.
They can play all kinds of music and all kinds of levels and in their room, particularly at Karen and Jacks home, really totally disappear.
I felt the "traditional" Wilson sound was no longer there for me. This is a good thing since I always felt they were not enjoyable over the long term and were kind of bloated and at time can be very fatiguing in the highs.
The XLF don't sound like that at all!!! They have incredible low frequency detail and speed and the highs are very extended and smooth. I also like that they seem to be a very easy load to drive so there was no sense of strain on any of the amplifiers.
I cant make any comments about the Aida or the MBL's other than I have not heard the Aida and I don't care for the MBL since I have have heard them a few times and they never sounded good. I do realize that the room and set up makes a huge, HUGE, HUGE difference on any of these big guys and it makes no sense to own them or show them if the room and gear are not up to par.
I have heard the Nola, Scaena, Genesis, Infinity all sound amazing and terrible as well. The room design and the person setting them up needs to know what they are doing and sadly this is not the case in most places. Having heard many large systems in clients and friends home the set up and follow through on most big systems is really poor, even when some manufacturers have been involved.
I want to congratulate Karen and Jack along with Josh and Brad ( and any others I am unaware of :) ) for two great systems . I know how hard this is do.

Thanks for posting...a great read. I have heard many very good comments about the Transparent rooms. I also have heard very good things about the CJ room which (at one time) used Wilson X1s, Transparent Cabling and CJ equipment. Also set up very well.

By any chance, did you happen to go by Rockport who is also up in that neck of the woods? (And also has a tremendous sound room apparently.)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
If you read what I wrote I am a line source person. I have own every panel, planar, electrostatic etc. I love the Scaena and the Nola's and generally I am not a fan of large multidriver systems. I did say that in the room I heard these XLF's they were amazing PERIOD.
Having said all that if the room, gear and set up aren't done correctly none of them sound any good.
Shows are notorious for that bad sound. I have had the good fortune to hear amazing systems at Transparent, Harry Pearson's and a handful of other places where the gear has been done with all the details taken care off. I have built many rooms and set up many high end systems. I do believe that most people just don't know how to do it. They talk like they do but they don't.
NO one is telling you that you opinion to like what you like is wrong but some of the other verbiage your spewing is to be honest just nonsense.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Agreed, 95%+/-. ...Some got lucky, or had the right gear (speakers that also match in that room), or did some judicious room's treatments.

But do most audio dealers still sell those $200,000/pair loudspeakers anyway?
...To them customers who are indeed unwilling to go further in order to truly benefit from their high-end (and high-price too) purchases.

What are the positions of most audio dealers in these circumstances, if I may ask? ...Not only yours but also from the other audio dealers that you know and are aware of their general selling practices.

Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing