Sonus Faber Aida vs. Wilson XLF (with the MBL 101 Extreme thrown-in for fun)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
DEV,

Aida's not offering any depth? Are you sure they were the Aida's? ;) Sometimes I have to get my fishing rod to catch the performers playing in my recordings :eek:

Where did I say they did not offer any depth? you need to read a little more carfully before replying. Can't you tell by looking at the pictures I provided that they are Aida's :eek:

Richmond Hill-20120718-00137.jpg

Richmond Hill-20120718-00130.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(..) Really would not be fair to comment too much at this point, room with the Stella had allot of slap echo and the other room had balance issues but over all the Aida room sounded better but didn't really offer any depth in comparison.

Where did I say they did not offer any depth? you need to read a little more carfully before replying. Can't you tell by looking at the pictures I provided that they are Aida's :eek:

DEV,
Sorry if I misunderstood you. But what really did not offer any depth?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
DEV,
Sorry if I misunderstood you. But what really did not offer any depth?

No problem, I was referring to the rooms and position of speakers within. The Aida was approx 5ft from the back wall and the Stella was 10-12ft from the back wall, if you have ever experimented with this type of set-up such would be clear and what I was making reference too in comparison.

My expectations were high to only initially be disappointed, I'll go back in a few months and see if there are any improvements but so far didn't have me even thinking of opening up my wallet saying I gotta have.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No problem, I was referring to the rooms and position of speakers within. The Aida was approx 5ft from the back wall and the Stella was 10-12ft from the back wall, if you have ever experimented with this type of set-up such would be clear and what I was making reference too in comparison.

My expectations were high to only initially be disappointed, I'll go back in a few months and see if there are any improvements but so far didn't have me even thinking of opening up my wallet saying I gotta have.

I own Sonus Faber Aida's in a 30 feet long room, I must have some experience of this type of setup ... ;)

As a side remark, I have been in high-end long enough to know that listening at dealers and shows can be really very deceiving.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I own Sonus Faber Aida's in a 30 feet long room, I must have some experience of this type of setup ... ;)

As a side remark, I have been in high-end long enough to know that listening at dealers and shows can be really very deceiving.

So why were you asking if what I was listening too was such when I actually posted pics, could you not tell from viewing the pics?

Show us some pics of your room, 30ft long, how high and wide is it and what are you driving them with. How far off the back walls are they?

Just because you own what ever doesn't mean much to me, I know allot of people who own this and that and listening to their set-up is nothing special. This is my second time hearing these Aida speakers, they look sharp but nothing special too meso far in comparison to what I'm use to listening to.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
DEV-What are you used to listening to?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
DEV-What are you used to listening to?

MBL 101 E's driven by VAC "Signature MK2a pre + Statement 450 mono blocks" Cables - Stealth Audio Sakra + Sources - Esoteric K-01 - Tw Black Knight table with numerous arms + Micro Seiki 5000 table

On both occasions the Aida's sounded kinda thin, boring, bass wasn't there either. We are talking large coin here so my expectations are high.

Both of the set-ups that I made mention to above are actually set-ups in a house environment not a show room either.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So why were you asking if what I was listening too was such when I actually posted pics, could you not tell from viewing the pics?
Show us some pics of your room, 30ft long, how high and wide is it and what are you driving them with. How far off the back walls are they?
(...)

Being a frequent poster of this forum I have posted several times about my room - you can find details and dimensions in the current thread about corner bass traps. I recently posted a graph of the FR in room. I am still optimizing my system after the acquisition of the Aida's and evaluating partnering equipment. Today they are about 2.5m from the back wall and are being driven by a Dartzeel NHB108.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
They sure are a gorgeous looking speakers.

What other amps have you had paired up with them, sonic wise what were the differences if you have. Do you have them playing on their own or paired up with a sub or two?

Compared to your previous speakers what would you say sonically is the difference.

What did you have prior to these.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They sure are a gorgeous looking speakers.

What other amps have you had paired up with them, sonic wise what were the differences if you have. Do you have them playing on their own or paired up with a sub or two?

Compared to your previous speakers what would you say sonically is the difference.

What did you have prior to these.

I have owned SoundLab A1 Px's for long time, and several others, such as JMLab Grande Utopia, Audio Physics Kronos and Maxx3 for shorter periods. The Aidas are easily the best I have owned. They have the speed and coherence of my single panel electrostatics but much better dynamics and the treble has an unique airiness without being tiring or aggressive. I listen a lot to vocal and chamber music and they are great in these areas.

It is still to soon to compare them exhaustively with others I have owned. I have now two Martin Logan Descent i subs in my garage, but it is still to early to bring them in my listening room. The next amplifier to come for listening will be the D'Agostino Momentum stereo.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
That will be interesting indeed, seems to be positive notes made in regards to A'Agontino's pces.

Is there really a "BEST" I don't think so just different and ones preference. There are so many factors that come into play, in the end as long as you are listening and enjoying music that's what it's all about. What I have heard so far I feel the speakers would benefit using subs for sure specially in the size of room you have because the rooms I have heard them in were smaller.

It's going to be a interesting journey for you do enjoy!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have owned SoundLab A1 Px's for long time, and several others, such as JMLab Grande Utopia, Audio Physics Kronos and Maxx3 for shorter periods. The Aidas are easily the best I have owned. They have the speed and coherence of my single panel electrostatics but much better dynamics and the treble has an unique airiness without being tiring or aggressive. I listen a lot to vocal and chamber music and they are great in these areas.

It is still to soon to compare them exhaustively with others I have owned. I have now two Martin Logan Descent i subs in my garage, but it is still to early to bring them in my listening room. The next amplifier to come for listening will be the D'Agostino Momentum stereo.

I feel confident you will be impressed with the Momentum stereo. I have not heard the Ref150s, but i have heard the Momentum stereo and monos. They are superbly transparent in a way that i have rarely (perhaps not ever?) heard from an amp. The Boulder 2060 and Gryphon Colosseum are 2 other SS amps i have heard that have this quality. But the Momentum stereo seemed to me to have the invisible quality of the boulder with the touch of sweet/natural tonality of Colosseum which is the character which leads me to prefer the Colosseum over the Boulder based on [very] unscientific listening and auditioning. I was listening to Momentum stereo on Magicos with ARC Ref5SE and Metronome Kalista Ref/DAC with TA Opus cabling. I heard monos on exact same system, same room, except with XLFs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I feel confident you will be impressed with the Momentum stereo. I have not heard the Ref150s, but i have heard the Momentum stereo and monos. They are superbly transparent in a way that i have rarely (perhaps not ever?) heard from an amp. The Boulder 2060 and Gryphon Colosseum are 2 other SS amps i have heard that have this quality. But the Momentum stereo seemed to me to have the invisible quality of the boulder with the touch of sweet/natural tonality of Colosseum which is the character which leads me to prefer the Colosseum over the Boulder based on [very] unscientific listening and auditioning. I was listening to Momentum stereo on Magicos with ARC Ref5SE and Metronome Kalista Ref/DAC with TA Opus cabling. I heard monos on exact same system, same room, except with XLFs.

I am very curious to compare the Momentum stereo with the Dartzeel NHB 108 in my system. I do not listen at very loud levels - my system is accurately power calibrated and I have found that I never have peaks over 35VRMS ~150W at 8ohm and most of the time the loudest peaks are under 80W.

The Bogg

Jul 28, 2010
I don't want to dismiss the good questions others have asked about specifics of the sound, but honestly folks, this was a not a situation that the level of detail folks have asked for could be ascertained in a meaningful way. The systems just weren't set up to their best advantage to enable meaningful discrimination at that level. At least for me.

One thing I found amusing is the line of questioning about the brands of amps and cables used. I think we all agree these do indeed make a difference in systems of this caliber, but let's get real. Whereas amps and cable are basically ruler flat, by far and away the single most important variable that effects the listening experience is frequency response. With relatively significant deviations observed in both systems which show from far from ideal frequency responses, what is the point of bringing into the discussion, the relative merits of amplification or speaker wire? I will say however, that the McIntosh gear is not only fine gear (even the great HP thinks the 2301 is one of the great tube amps of our time), but can anybody argue that it isn't some of the most beautiful gear around and has been for several decades! Let me tell you, when you flip the input selector of the Mc preamp to phono, and the thick acrylic platter of the turntable suddenly lights up in sea foam green, if that doesn't make your heart do a little dance, then you are not an audiophile!

It does seem however that audiophiles are often distracted by small things that are not nearly as important as basic fundamentals such as frequency response. For me, I am comfortable talking about the relative impact and sonic merits of that stuff only after the fundamentals are in place and done correctly. Once we get the big stuff out of the way, I think its then fair to delve deeply in to the analytics that others have asked for. Until then, as in the systems here, there are far bigger fish to fry.
Marty

Excellent analysis, and one that I agree with completely. Many of my audiophile buddies waste lots of time and money buying and selling exotic cables etc when there are glaring measurable errors in their frequency response. To each his own I guess.

Marty, your room is STUNNING. Just looks like a relaxing place to be in listening to music. Congrats on that. I look forward to constructing something of that calibre some time in the future - I have a Rives room now (with the generic front diffusor as Steve puts it, lol) and it will do fine until then.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Here is my choice and for me it is a very easy one.

#1 = MBL 101-E ( Sorry have never heard the 101-x-treme ) - - - - - p1193623738-3.jpg

#2 = Sonus Faber Aida - - - - - IMG_3584-sonus-faber-Aida-loudspeaker-small.jpg

#3 = Wilson Alexandria - - - - - setup-alexandriaX2.2.jpg ( very far behind ) FOR ME

PS: The Wilson setup was Ti Lou system here in Quebec ( may he rest in peace )

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The Sonus Faber Aida tweeters hurt my ears, the MBL 101E (not the extremes) just didn't play with majesty and the Wilson X-2 was powerful, but never grabbed me. For me, they are close to being tied, but not for first.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

#3 = Wilson Alexandria - - - - - View attachment 10844 ( very far behind ) FOR ME[/B]

Wow...great shots. The Wilson setup looks nice...nice room. I think those are RefMM speaker cables with the Thor sub? Presume the Classe Omega? are driving the main speakers and the Krell amp to the right is driving the Thor?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Wow...great shots. The Wilson setup looks nice...nice room. I think those are RefMM speaker cables with the Thor sub? Presume the Classe Omega? are driving the main speakers and the Krell amp to the right is driving the Thor?

Sir you are correct.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Sonus Faber Aida tweeters hurt my ears, the MBL 101E (not the extremes) just didn't play with majesty and the Wilson X-2 was powerful, but never grabbed me. For me, they are close to being tied, but not for first.

Maybe the wrong amplifier paradigm was being used.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

#1 = MBL 101-E ( Sorry have never heard the 101-x-treme ) - - - - -

#2 = Sonus Faber Aida - - - - -
#3 = Wilson Alexandria - - - - - ( very far behind ) FOR ME

Do you have any 'notes' about specifically how the Alexandria compared with these other 2 speakers? Thanks...I know the X2 quite well but not the other 2, so very curious. Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing