Sonus Faber Aida vs. Wilson XLF (with the MBL 101 Extreme thrown-in for fun)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just received invitation to hear the new XLFs...driven by D'Agostino Momentums. Will post. Thurs nite.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So i was (very kindly) invited to the introduction of the new XLF...superb room...D'Agostino Momentum monos...Kalista Ref CD player, ARC Ref 5SE preamp...Transp Opus MM2 Cabling throughout. On the face of it...a superb system and one to be reckoned with. Here's my view of the experience:

- Supreme 'density of signal'...greater by a 'meaningful margin' than Audio Exotics room in Hong Kong (Tidal Sunrays with 2 Tidal tower subs, 3 sets of Tidal Impact monos, Tidal Presencio, Stahl-Tek Vekian, Argento Master Ref cabling, Tripoint grounding/AC).
- This is where i think newer electronics have come a long way (and good speakers thought not necessarily 'the newest ones'...older SOTA is still amazing)...in being able to take the signal and through substantially lower noise floors, more exacting detail retreival...really are able to deliver a very strong, focused, concrete music signal. Older electronics...mainly digital...tend to deliver a 'weaker music signal'...almost like a flashlight where the batteries are getting low.
- On this system...it was like brand new lightbulb and batteries and flashlight. Very impressive.

- Better bass than i recall with X2 Series 2...but that's not a definitive statement because too many variables. What I CAN say for sure, is that this XLF will NOT replace any well setup X2 Series with a good sub. That is not close.

sound on tracks i know extremely well was 'a bit shouty'...which surprised me. I am going to give the system the benefit of the doubt and say there were probably more than a few new components...most likely the Ref 5 SE, as well as of course the speakers, and possibly the Momentums and speaker cables.
- By 'shouty' i mean that even on Amos Lee...on whom Norah Jones does background vocals so you get the idea...his voice felt a little like he was singing/shouting. And that was not the only track where i felt this touch of slightly raw overpowering force.
- Based on what i understand about the new tweeter, and what i already know about the X2, X2 Series 2 and likely the XLF mids, i might point at the Momentum monos which i have heard are 'slightly harder' than the stereo version. I am familiar with the Kalista, Ref 5 (non SE), Transp cables and the X-1, X2 series, so that is my guess.

i appreciate the opportunity to hear it, having heard the Audio Exotics Room last year with similar/same music. Feel free to ask/PM for any other observations.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have gone back today to listen more carefully, again with tracks i know well. While i do think the shoutiness (which is definitely there) might have some relation to the Momentums (which apparently are fully burned in)...i also think there is reflectioin off the ceiling and back wall which makes it unnecessarily hard. So knowing how flexible the X1s, X2s are for that sort of thing...i set that to one side and leave that to system setup.

OTOH, detail is just detail and effortless is just effortless. In the case of the XLF, the detail retrieval is sensational, effortless and incredibly articulated. It feels meaningfully more inert/effortless than the X1s, and slightly more so than the X2...not sure why as relates to X2. The upper end has a grainless quality that is exceptional and far better than any speaker i have yet to hear.

Personally, i think the X2 Series 2 is a bigger upgrade over original X2 than the XLF is over the X2 Series 2....perhaps unless you are in a super big room and require both effortless power at the extreme, including the ability to crank the volume and have treble remain sweet and not harden. This is mainly from its more effortless presentation from my 'earlier score' of the X2. I suppose the 14% more volume and perhaps improved bracing/thickness of enclosure? might have something to do with this.

Without doubt it is in pantheon of great speakers, and a nice markup over the X2 Series 2, but i feel like the amount of step up may mean Wilson Audio is finding it difficult to improve on the current X2 Series 2...good news for those who are picking up the trade-ins for a big discount. And for those with lots of disposable income, well, its always gratifying to have the latest in SOTA.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
There is no doubt that the direction of the Wilson line will be the incorporation of the new tweeter in all the models over a 2-3 period. Wilson, if anything, is very market savvy. The introduction of the tweeter on the flagship and then moving it down the line, is a very solid strategy and makes excellent business sense. For almost no (or nominal) increase in cost, he will be able to command a premium price for a true product differentiator and increase profitability. Very smart. I really fail to see why people don't respect this guy or why people love to denigrate him from afar. He has the heart of a music lover and the head of a businessman. You don't have to love his speakers (I'm not knocked out by most of the line) but I certainly admire the man.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There is no doubt that the direction of the Wilson line will be the incorporation of the new tweeter in all the models over a 2-3 period. Wilson, if anything, is very market savvy. The introduction of the tweeter on the flagship and then moving it down the line, is a very solid strategy and makes excellent business sense. For almost no (or nominal) increase in cost, he will be able to command a premium price for a true product differentiator and increase profitability. Very smart. I really fail to see why people don't respect this guy or why people love to denigrate him from afar. He has the heart of a music lover and the head of a businessman. You don't have to love his speakers (I'm not knocked out by most of the line) but I certainly admire the man.

Dave hasn't been in business this long by designing crappy speakers and not being business savvy. Dave puts a tremendous amount of time and thought into each Wilson product. Of course, Sheryl Lee may have had a bit to do with the companies success too though :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I really fail to see why people don't respect this guy or why people love to denigrate him from afar. He has the heart of a music lover and the head of a businessman.

I think part of it is envy, part anger for his policies. On the former, I have read numerous comments over the years about such substandard products as the WITT and others, yet he's still very successful; the Maxx2 with that intentional frequency drop at 2kHz has been another. On the latter, people hate the fact he won't allow Wilson and Magico at the same dealership. Take it as you may. I personally despise the latter.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think part of it is envy, part anger for his policies. On the former, I have read numerous comments over the years about such substandard products as the WITT and others, yet he's still very successful; the Maxx2 with that intentional frequency drop at 2kHz has been another. On the latter, people hate the fact he won't allow Wilson and Magico at the same dealership. Take it as you may. I personally despise the latter.

Peter, that's rather common practice in the industry among electronics and speaker manufacturers. In fact, it used to raise my eyebrows when two stores in NYC carried both ARC and conrad-johnson. But other companies such as Rowland and Curl, among others, were shut out of the NY market for many, many years by other electronics manufacturers. And you can't blame the stores since these brands pay their rent. Not saying it's good but it's a reality.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I was going back and forth listening to a pair of Focal Stella and Sonus Faber Aida speakers today.

Aida speakers were driven by; ARC 250's - ARC Aniv pre - Esoteric K-01 , cables transparent.

Focal Stella speakers, VAC pre - Audi Flight stereo - Esoteric.

These are new rooms for a dealer which need work so I was listening around such. In doing such it was interesting, the Aida's look stunning. :D

Richmond Hill-20120718-00139.jpg Richmond Hill-20120718-00135.jpg Richmond Hill-20120718-00131.jpg

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
I was going back and forth listening to a pair of Focal Stella and Sonus Faber Aida speakers today.

Aida speakers were driven by; ARC 250's - ARC Aniv pre - Esoteric K-01 , cables transparent.

These are new rooms for a dealer which need work so I was listening around such. In doing such it was interesting, the Aida's look stunning. :D

I did listen to both of these speakers IMO Stella was more resolving and had better dynamics. How was your experience?

dafos

Sep 17, 2010

View attachment 4402 View attachment 4403 View attachment 4404

Dev, what were your impressions about the two speakers? Any clear cut winner or is it a matter of taste? Stereotyping these products should reveal the Sonus as being sweeter with a more lush midrange while the Stella should have have the more extended and prominent highs resulting in a more detailed presentation. Is that the case here?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Isn't that sorta like having Robin Leach, from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, making neurosurgery decisions?

LOL...or at the very least, Corey Greenberg!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Those are some massive tube monoblocks. :eek:

Didn't you ever wonder how hot that tube in the middle of that forrest got compared to one on the outside edge? :)

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I did listen to both of these speakers IMO Stella was more resolving and had better dynamics. How was your experience?

Both rooms need attention! The rooms need attention first and then the set-up, once that's done trying different gear to hear the differences would be the next step. We are talking some serious coin here so the end result should be in line. Really would not be fair to comment too much at this point, room with the Stella had allot of slap echo and the other room had balance issues but over all the Aida room sounded better but didn't really offer any depth in comparison.

I am not familiar with either sonic wise and would like to hear more so once the above issues are addressed along with hearing both with different electronics I would have allot better grasp of what each sonically has to offer.

Most defiantly did not have me opening up my wallet.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev, what were your impressions about the two speakers? Any clear cut winner or is it a matter of taste? Stereotyping these products should reveal the Sonus as being sweeter with a more lush midrange while the Stella should have have the more extended and prominent highs resulting in a more detailed presentation. Is that the case here?

See my above comments, most defiantly in the end it's going to be a matter of taste both sonically and looks. Personally I preffer the looks of the Aida, looks absolutely stunning to me, the design makes a fairly large speaker appear much smaller looking from the front.

After listening to these systems just makes me appreciate my system all that much more putting a big :) on it, I am looking at setting up a second system and looking at options. I will say I was expecting more, time will tell.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Both rooms need attention! (...) Really would not be fair to comment too much at this point, room with the Stella had allot of slap echo and the other room had balance issues but over all the Aida room sounded better but didn't really offer any depth in comparison. (...)

DEV,

Aida's not offering any depth? Are you sure they were the Aida's? ;) Sometimes I have to get my fishing rod to catch the performers playing in my recordings :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing