Speaker/Room calibration

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Good one!!

I put the spikes back in and set them on Wave Kinetics 2NS pucks. You can actually slide the speakers short distances ( <1' ) with these things.

I will be posting more graphs and do a follow-up. I've decided on 2 subs and more room treatments.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Two subs is good Bruce. ...What kind of Room EQ do you use? ...Besides room treatments.

Perhaps you did mention in the past, but I just don't remember.
It is one of those threads; where time and perfection are totally irrelative. ;)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
---Two subs is good Bruce. ...What kind of Room EQ do you use? ...Besides room treatments.

Perhaps you did mention in the past, but I just don't remember.
It is one of those threads; where time and perfection are totally irrelative. ;)

I feel with a purpose built room, positioning, speaker controls and extra subs are all you need. The configuration of my system would prohibit the use of DSP at this time.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You do have pretty flexible EQ for the woofers, though, don't you?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I would still say this has more to do with positioning. As the graph appears on post #40, I almost got rid of the 125Hz null just by moving my speakers/listening position.

many forget the importance of the Listening Position .. Speakers Reponse in a room is function of the listening position... in my expereince it is best to sit away from boundaries, same with speakers ...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I feel with a purpose built room, positioning, speaker controls and extra subs are all you need. The configuration of my system would prohibit the use of DSP at this time.

I'm went the opposite position. I sold 2 x JL 113, and I use Trinnov DRC instead. Of course, my room is not nearly as good as your studio, so working with a completely different set of parameters / contraints.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good one!!

I put the spikes back in and set them on Wave Kinetics 2NS pucks. You can actually slide the speakers short distances ( <1' ) with these things.

I will be posting more graphs and do a follow-up. I've decided on 2 subs and more room treatments.

Bruce,

Are you considering adding some waterfall type graphs? I am currently particularly interested in decay modes.

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Bruce said, "I feel with a purpose built room, positioning, speaker controls and extra subs are all you need. The configuration of my system would prohibit the use of DSP at this time."

I can understand the need to further correct your room, as I had correctly surmised early on that it was indeed the room. This was proven when Bruce moved his speakers from one end to the other. It was confirmed by his wonderful graph which he displayed in one of the posts.

Bruce why two more subs? I don't understand why they are needed? You have bass down to 8hz with a completly flat response, so why the additional electronics with associated noise and electronic artifacts?

After the limitations of broadband EQ for high definition audio reproduction became known in the 1970s, the audiophile world concentrated on building or correcting the room to address frequency response nulls and peaks and leaving the audio signal as "pure" as possible. Any electronic room acoustic correction will add noise and distortion to a system. For movies it is not much of a problem, for critical music listening on highly resolving equipment it can be deadly. This is the reason I am sure, why Bruce does not want to use EQ.
He needs a highly resolving system and adding any additional electronics destroys that purity of essence.

Wendell

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce why two more subs? I don't understand why they are needed? You have bass down to 8hz with a completly flat response, so why the additional electronics with associated noise and electronic artifacts?
Wendell

The 2 bass subs are not to extend the bass, but to fix an irregularities between 60 and 200Hz that are caused by room nulls.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The 2 bass subs are not to extend the bass, but to fix an irregularities between 60 and 200Hz that are caused by room nulls.

I am trying a similar approach with the Aida's. Although they extend their FR to 18 Hz in my long room, I need two subs to fill a room null between 30 and 40 Hz.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am trying a similar approach with the Aida's. Although they extend their FR to 18 Hz in my long room, I need two subs to fill a room null between 30 and 40 Hz.

Do try an asymetric sub position.. in the front plane... Just try one sub in the corner and another on the opposite wall... in the front plane ... Subs must have phase control ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Do try an asymetric sub position.. in the front plane... Just try one sub in the corner and another on the opposite wall... in the front plane ... Subs must have phase control ...

FrantzM,

The one if the opposite wall will also be in the opposite corner? Any preference for the height? I will consider it - even because it will be a position where they will interact minimally from a visual point of view. ;)

The Martin Logan Descents are temporary - the final version will probably include in wall custom made subwoofers.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
---Someone here tell me if I'm wrong or right.

* I believe it's best to use the same polarity (phase) when using multiple subwoofers.

The polarity probably does not matter but the actual phase depends greatly upon where the subn is in relation to the listener, the walls, and the frequency(ies) yuo are trying to compensate. The principle behind using multiple subs in a HT environment is primarily to smooth out the frequency response by providing another signal source. You want the second (third, fourth, whatever) source to attenuate peaks and raise nulls by combining at the listening position in the proper phase to compensate the proper frequencies. That depends upon distance and frequency. There is no simple answer.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The polarity probably does not matter but the actual phase depends greatly upon where the subn is in relation to the listener, the walls, and the frequency(ies) yuo are trying to compensate. The principle behind using multiple subs in a HT environment is primarily to smooth out the frequency response by providing another signal source. You want the second (third, fourth, whatever) source to attenuate peaks and raise nulls by combining at the listening position in the proper phase to compensate the proper frequencies. That depends upon distance and frequency. There is no simple answer.

-----Thanx Don.

Let say that you have five subwoofers total:
- Two of them are positioned at the front of the room near the two front corners and equidistant to the main prime listening position.
- Two more are slightly behind the main listening position, at the sides, and again both equidistant to the main listening position.
- The fifth one is behind the main listening position, dead center, and at the same distance as the two side ones. And that fifth one is strictly for the LFE channel, that's it.

Should the Phase control of each sub (four of them are the exact same subs by the way, four 12 inchers; only the one behind the couch is different, and much bigger; an 18 incher) be set at the same Phase position? ...Before you start measuring, balancing, accentuating, attenuating, ... EQuing.

And of course it is for a multichannel surround sound setup, like for movies.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
That all depends on what sort of EQ system you have. If it can independently adjust the phase of each sub then you can set them all the same. If not, or if you are doing it manually, you will have tok play around and measure or listen. My subs have a continuous phase control, one reason I like them.

If all subs are equidistant from the listening position then the phase should be the same for all. In the room, assuming you want the smotthest response, you will almost certainly have to adjust them, perhaps in front and rear pairs and then the LFE, to optimize the reponse in your room.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Ok, the two front subs are further away than the two side and rear ones.

And the Auto Room EQ is Audyssey Pro based on Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

Furthermore, the two front ones are strictly enhancing the bass of your two front Left and Right loudspeakers, respectively.
And the two side subs are enhancing the two side Left and Right surround speakers strictly and respectively.
Only the rear one is for the LFE channel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing