Speaker/Room calibration

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
@amirm would probably say that you can setup the speakers using measurements only (e.g. REW).

Amir, how is your 6-axis setup going?

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
Thanks... the ultimate goal is to have as flat of response as I can below 1k by just using good positioning techniques and speaker controls without having to resort to outboard digital or analog EQ. This is what the consumer is left with. Once they purchase a speaker, the dealer may do the initial setup, but what happens after 1000hr. of breakin.. or if you insert a new piece of equipment, or if something in the room changes?
The speakers were originally set up by the dealer by just using a tape measure and listening. All controls have remained at factory default.
I'll post a pic this evening.

Though this testwould suggest the RS meter is fairly accurate, except for below 31.5Hz where the corrections are from +5dB to +20dB as stated in both of these links.

Audio Innovation

Subwoofer Builder

Which according to my graph, the tracing below 30Hz is way off the charts!

This is why I wanted to use my Earthworks M50. I'm sure a few can atest to the accuracy of this mic. I'll try to get it working this evening.
I'm guessing you're familiar with UMIK-1, which is supposed to come calibrated, and is cheap/USB. Perhaps that is a solution?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm guessing you're familiar with UMIK-1, which is supposed to come calibrated, and is cheap/USB. Perhaps that is a solution?
I use an Earthworks M30 for my room calibration. I have 2 JL Audio f112v2 subs that came with their own mic. I can use it with their onboard DSP for sub setup along with my CR-1

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I use an Earthworks M30 for my room calibration. I have 2 JL Audio f112v2 subs that came with their own mic. I can use it with their onboard DSP for sub setup along with my CR-1
Nice. I wasn't aware the JLs came with the mic, but that's great, isn't it? Really great sound potential. I wish I had room for that.

Reactions: Bruce B

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing