Spectral DMA260 vs. other fast amps

Me neither. It felt like thunder out of the blue, as if perceived more accurate timbre has anything to do with either term used...

Really? I mean I woud expect many here to disagree that the "clinical" amp is more accurate, but do you really feel that these terms are not about tonality?

Tim

Really? I mean I woud expect many here to disagree that the "clinical" amp is more accurate, but do you really feel that these terms are not about tonality?

Tim

Tim,

Here, as it was said The different sections of the orchestra were much more clearly defined. With the other amp all the strings sounded similar. So for her, and my cellist son, the difference was not subtle and overwhelmingly favored the Spectral gear. it would seem that there was a real problem wit the other system.

Sometime ago I had exactly the same feeling listening to the string section of a CD recording of a Shostakovitch symphony - the work of the violas section was more clearly perceived in one of the two CD players being compared. I listened many times to the track, wanting to persuade me it was not real, because the looser was one favorite of mine, and most of it, the winner cost was over usd 70k :eek: .

Brilliant. I've never read a better example/explanation of the difference between euphonic and clinical. But these are just choices. Choose what you enjoy. For some, there is nothing more musical, more euphonic than what others call clinical.

Tim

I'm not too sure that the other amp on audition was euphonic compared to the Spectral amp. I hope the OP reveals what the other amp was. Only then can this be beneficial information to potential buyers in similar decision-making process.

Brilliant. I've never read a better example/explanation of the difference between euphonic and clinical. But these are just choices. Choose what you enjoy. For some, there is nothing more musical, more euphonic than what others call clinical.

Tim
So we have clinical. And musical. But we also have BOTH clinical and musical ... detail AND "liquidity" of sound: truth and tonality :)b) CAN go together. But it's a hard slog, that's the pity of it ...

Frank

So we have clinical. And musical. But we also have BOTH clinical and musical ... detail AND "liquidity" of sound: truth and tonality :)b) CAN go together. But it's a hard slog, that's the pity of it ...

Frank

A walk across the street is a hard slog if you live in a neighborhood full of deep, sticky mud, Frank. Get yourself a really well-designed, well-executed active system. Plug it into some reasonably clean power. You will hear all of the clean, crisp transparency you now describe. You will get "truth and tonality," "detail and liquidity." The sweet spot on wheels? The tweeter that can't be located with your ear an inch from it? The really lousy recordings bringing the performance to life in your living room...even when the system is in an upstairs bedroom? I think you'll have to keep tweaking the hear all of that. And of course, once you start tweaking, you'll screw up the good active system, and all bets are off. But I'm getting the "truth and tonality," "detail and liquidity," as I'm sure many here are, even with passive systems. :)

Tim

A walk across the street is a hard slog if you live in a neighborhood full of deep, sticky mud, Frank. Get yourself a really well-designed, well-executed active system. Plug it into some reasonably clean power. You will hear all of the clean, crisp transparency you now describe. You will get "truth and tonality," "detail and liquidity." The sweet spot on wheels? The tweeter that can't be located with your ear an inch from it? The really lousy recordings bringing the performance to life in your living room...even when the system is in an upstairs bedroom? I think you'll have to keep tweaking the hear all of that. And of course, once you start tweaking, you'll screw up the good active system, and all bets are off. But I'm getting the "truth and tonality," "detail and liquidity," as I'm sure many here are, even with passive systems. :)

Tim
I agree that active systems should do it relatively easy, and the key word here is should . Coincidentally, last night I was looking up comments on the Meridian DSP8000, fairly close to the ultimate active system easily available one would think, capable of a clean 120dB with all the bass support one could want. Yet, opinions were quite strongly divided: some in raptures, others that they could not live with the sound.

I have listened to a previous generation Meridian digital speaker in a high end showroom, and, unfortunately, it fell well short -- I was intrigued that it didn't perform as well as theoretically it should have ...

Frank

In our listening tests and opinion, we find active speaker systems that are available to the consumer, are not equal to the that best passive systems. However active systems can provide enjoyable musical playback. The electronics are usually the weakest link. For some listeners however, active systems are more convenient to use.

Last edited:
Hello Again,

I am writing to update everyone regarding my experiences over the last few months. You were so gracious to respond to my thread regarding amplifiers several months ago. This summer I finally took delivery of my remaining outstanding gear: Spectral preamp, CD transport and DAC. I don't have enough experience to fully grasp what is possible but I can report that my current system sounds like music!

When I auditioned various components last year and earlier this year, I took detailed notes regarding various aspects of the sound such as transparency, dynamics, bass quality, etc., inspired by the jargon of audio magazines. One day my wife, who patiently endured all the trips to audio dealers, just said to me-- "...why don't you just make note of what sounds good?" Yes, eventually, it was an issue of what sounded good, ie, like music.

So first I received my speakers, Vivid B-1's, then the Spectral power amp, DMA 260, and a loaner preamp form the dealer, Spectral DMC30. I connected my old $600 CD player to this rather pricey gear and, yes, it had an impressive sound. But I didn't enjoy listening for extended intervals and many discs just sounded a bit brittle and harsh. I decided to persue getting a better source sooner than later. I couldn't bring myself to cough up the cash for a Spectral CD processor (about the cost of my amp and preamp combined) and I thought that eventually I may wish to take advantage of computer audio so I thought a DAC/ CD transport combination would be preferable. I was able to audition some popular DACs in my home and the only one that I liked in my system was the Bel Canto 3.5. I decided to explore a bit more and discovered Audio Note tube-based DACs. The Audio Note 3.1 was easily the best, and most expensive, front end that I had the fortune of auditioning. This component added a dose of musicality which I had missed and allowed the Spectral and Vivids to really shine. Somehow this combination really got the rhythm right and had convincing tonal color. Needless to say, I ordered the Audio Note gear along with some Audio Note interconnects and I am happy. The arrival of my Spectral 30SS series 2 last month added another significant improvement. Even my Audio Note dealer, an ultra-orthodox tube and vinyl guy, was impressed.

This experience with Audio Note opened my ears to tubes again and I can say that I finally 'get it'. Tube gear that I had heard earlier simply introduced qualities that weren't there. I say this with confidence having listened to recordings which I actually attended. I listened, for example, to my daughter playing the Brahms piano concerto no. 2 with her school orchestra and the piano sound was rounded to the point of obesity. It had a musical quality comparable to something breaded and deep-fried. When it came to my audio quest, I simply wanted the truth, or as close as I could get to it. Also, several dealers essentially talked me out of pursuing tubes further so I focused on ss gear.

When I decided to purchase an audio system for my daughter as a graduation present, I decided to give tubes another chance. I had also just auditioned the Audio Note DAC which I liked very much. I ended up buying an Audio Note integrated SE amplifier, the OTO Signature, and Audio Note J/LX speakers with Bel Canto transport and DAC plus a Sonos. Granted this system does not have the incredible dynamics and clarity of my home system but, for less than a fourth the cost, it is quite enjoyable and perhaps just as engaging in its own way.

I have learned much in my quest and I thank the What's Best Forum for all the helpful comments. I think the audiophile bug has taken a deep bite. My next quest will be vinyl. I wonder if I should revive my old Thorens TD 146 or start over? If I start over, I will look at Audio Note first.

For readers unfamiliar with Audio Note UK products, I can say with some measure of authority that they make some good stuff and at any price point. I can also say that Spectral and Vivid make excellent products that really 'get out of the way of the music'. Great recordings sound really convincing on my rig and vintage recordings for which I had lost interest are now enjoyable, such as 1940's Dinu Lipatti or the Vegh quartet's Beethoven cycle and 50's jazz. I had under-appreciated Miles Davis. Now I can't wait to hear him on vinyl!

MEM

Hello Again,

I am writing to update everyone regarding my experiences over the last few months. So first I received my speakers, Vivid B-1's, then the Spectral power amp, DMA 260, and a loaner preamp form the dealer, Spectral DMC30. I connected my old $600 CD player to this rather pricey gear and, yes, it had an impressive sound. But I didn't enjoy listening for extended intervals and many discs just sounded a bit brittle and harsh. I decided to explore a bit more and discovered Audio Note tube-based DACs. The Audio Note 3.1 was easily the best, and most expensive, front end that I had the fortune of auditioning. Somehow this combination really got the rhythm right and had convincing tonal color. Needless to say, I ordered the Audio Note gear along with some Audio Note interconnects and I am happy. The arrival of my Spectral 30SS series 2 last month added another significant improvement. Even my Audio Note dealer, an ultra-orthodox tube and vinyl guy, was impressed.

For readers unfamiliar with Audio Note UK products, I can say with some measure of authority that they make some good stuff and at any price point. I can also say that Spectral and Vivid make excellent products that really 'get out of the way of the music'. Great recordings sound really convincing on my rig and vintage recordings for which I had lost interest are now enjoyable, such as 1940's Dinu Lipatti or the Vegh quartet's Beethoven cycle and 50's jazz. I had under-appreciated Miles Davis. Now I can't wait to hear him on vinyl!

MEM

Congrats!!! I think in some respects you've got a formula which works well (for my ears). A balance of components that mix a mellifluous source sound with powerful linear amplification, and a transducer that allows music to pass through it as cleanly as today's technology can get it. I run Zanden digital front end into CJ preamp into Class A SS into Wilson X1s. Different than your system, but i believe grounded in similar principals.

Enjoy!!! Sounds like a real winner.

Man, you have one lucky daughter!

Hello All: I am searching for the best amp for my New Vivid B-1 speakers, very transparent and accurate. I listen to mostly Western classical music but in many genre. Few amps can effectively present large-scale orchestral pieces without sonic smearing. I have heard the Spectral DMA260 in a couple of brief auditions and it seems very capable in this regard. Do other members have more experience with the 260, especially relevant to other fast amps such as Burmester, Goldmund, Plinius, Moon, Coda, etc?
Has anyone carefully listened to Vivid B-1's with tubes vs. SS?
This is an older post, so I assume you have made a decision. The Spectral DMA-260, when correctly used in an all Spectral system has the most resolution of any amplifier that we have heard. We had the Vivid speakers in our store for audition and the DMA-260 made the Vivid's sound remarkable. The DMA-260 was also a huge hit at the recent Munich Hi-End Audio Show driving the Magico Q7's. Terry Menacker, Overture Audio

One of these days I'm going to have to hear Spectral gear again. My only experience was about a year ago mated with expensive Rockport speakers and everything sounded so different - almost 'fake' from a timbre perspective that I was very confused.

'A year ago' and 'fake' don't seem to jive. I wouldn't waste any more time on this, if that was your sentiment. Clearly either your gear or that combo is much more truthful than the other, hence one of them is an absolute lie - a fake. But we were at the Q3/Spectral demo together, weren't we? Did you think that was fake?

'A year ago' and 'fake' don't seem to jive. I wouldn't waste any more time on this, if that was your sentiment. Clearly either your gear or that combo is much more truthful than the other, hence one of them is an absolute lie - a fake. But we were at the Q3/Spectral demo together, weren't we? Did you think that was fake?

No, I thought that was very good (apart from Willie Nelson stuff which sounded phasey), but I didn't think the electronics were Spectral, but Boulder. I could be wrong though!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing