Vivid Giya G1 vs G1 Spirits

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Gentlemen, with the Spirits, does the cross-over sit outside the speakers as a separate box? Or is it an option to have it that way? (I swear I remember reading that in the promotional literature.)

Does anyone understand the pros and cons of this approach?

Xover size can be an issue if it gets inside the speaker enclosure, so vibration control and flexibility. My Ascents sport outbox enclosure for their Xover and might think it is one of the main reason they are so close, or sometimes better sounding, than other new/larger Avalon designs. My two pesos...

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Not sure if this info has been posted before, but Ted passed away last year.

A wonderful person with a wide-open outlook on life...

All who knew him miss him greatly.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
btw; the term 'near field' has to do with the listening position relative to the tweeter spread. if your ears are closer than the distance between the tweeters then you are in the near field. it's not a distance issue but a relationship issue. 'far field' obviously being where you sit farther from the tweeters than the distance between them. and significantly; to sit in the near field typically requires a well treated and balanced room since otherwise the reflective energy will drive you back into the far field.....and if that is happening when you move up into the near field don't blame your speakers......it's your room treatments or lack thereof.

FWIW I don't believe you got the definition of near field correct. Near field came out of recording studios where behind the glass in larger rooms there would be full - sized monitors flanking the console and there would inevitably also be smaller monitors on the mixing console. The monitors on the console would naturally be nearer to the recording engineers and as such deemed "near field". As an artifact of the on - console monitors' proximity to the engineer they were sometimes closer to the engineers than the distance they were apart, but just as often this was not the case especially in smaller studio rooms. So it is a distance "issue" even though I wouldn't call it an issue since it's essentially a preferred listening for audiophiles but a necessity/reality for many studios.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Jim,
Thanks for posting. Completely devastating news. Ted's spirit and passion really shone through here. Really crushing.
Stay Well

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018

I am so sorry to hear that. He is one very passionate music lover and audiophile.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing