Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
jfrech, microstrip,

I have found even more recent dCS components (these were not formal auditions, so please don’t ask me which dCS components I was listening to) to sound leaner (not my sonic preference) and less analog-like than MSB DACs. But this is only a very general impression.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tinka quite liked being able to pluck any favorite track she wished off of Audioquattr’s streamer. It will be great to have that capability for when friends come over.

Lewis Capaldi’s Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent (a digital recording) sounded atrocious on LP but quite engaging on SGM Extreme + Lampizator Pacific.

But for us personally, for digital, it will be much more of a value for money analysis, not a price no object, damn the diminishing returns analysis.

Something like an Innuous streamer (or maybe a future lower level SGM) with an MSB Premier DAC sounds about like the right level. (Basically I can copy whatever KeithR uses.)

Al M, can’t I just direct the MSB analog output to my VTL line stage preamplifier?

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
jfrech, microstrip,

I have found even more recent dCS components (these were not formal auditions, so please don’t ask me which dCS components I was listening to) to sound leaner (not my sonic preference) and less analog-like than MSB DACs. But this is only a very general impression.

Considering the recordings you usually use in your evaluations I see a Lampizator in your future ...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maybe. But MSB is made in California, Alex can provide great local support, and I have no issue with digititis.

And I’m somewhat sympathetic to computers (digital components) not having to have tubes.

Reactions: asiufy

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Tinka quite liked being able to pluck any favorite track she wished off of Audioquattr’s streamer. It will be great to have that capability for when friends come over.

Agreed, that has its appeal.

Al M, can’t I just direct the MSB analog output to my VTL line stage preamplifier?

Absolutely! That's the way to go.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe. But MSB is made in California, Alex can provide great local support, and I have no issue with digititis.

And I’m somewhat sympathetic to computers (digital components) not having to have tubes.

IMHO you will need warm tubes in your chain. The VTL 7.5 mk3 is extremely neutral, on the solid state side of tubes. You love the Shefiledl direct cuts, that create a big, even bigger than life, lush sound and have a pure tube phono stage. Perhaps the KSL DAC is also a good match, but only has SPDIF input up to 96 kHz. Sounds great with the DCS bridge or Vivaldi upsampler.

BTW, although you have not chosen the DAC yet, you can start ordering an Extreme! ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
i tried my MSB Select II directly into my 458 darts and it was awesome. the dart pre was even a little bit better in my system, but direct was impressive.

Yes, but the Select II is known for a great preamp stage (adyc in post #66 and #70 disagrees), the Premier that Ron has in mind not so much. I've heard it's volume control, connecting to a great preamp is way better.

Reactions: MJB

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Joseph Cali knows his stuff. Anything from Joe is a very solid recommendation.

It’s interesting that he matches the MSB Reference with the Innuous Statement, rather than the Select.

+1 for Joseph he has been very patient with me. On the MSB Ref vs Select, I did give him a budget :p

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Yes, but the Select II is known for a great preamp stage (adyc in post #66 and #70 disagrees), the Premier that Ron has in mind not so much. I've heard it's volume control, connecting to a great preamp is way better.

I never found a DAC with volume control can replace a top preamp. MSB DAC preamp maybe best of the bunch. But still, it is serious lacking.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I never found a DAC with volume control can replace a top preamp. MSB DAC preamp maybe best of the bunch. But still, it is serious lacking.

Makes you wonder why they put in those volume controls in the first place. My DAC doesn't have one.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I agree but i guess the simplicity is attractive to some, as well as the cost savings.

Reactions: christoph

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco

This is why, IMHO, makes the TotalDAC D1 Driver such an interesting product

It’s basically an incredibly specced preamp (buffer) with no volume control at a very affordable price point

Note , Vincent is not a client or a customer of mine, but his recent product development / evolutions have really pulled the rabbit out of the hat

Reactions: matthias

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Could it be that you just didn't like the Speakers (AudioNEC) or the Amps (Jadis) in Munich?

I hope it must be that, otherwise I would have made a terrible mistake because I bought that exact Pacific demo unit after the show :eek:
Oh wait. Back home I compared the Pacific to my GG1.9 (latest spec) before I packed the GG in it's flightcase ;)

I really don't understand Kedars and your "Pacific witch hunt" :rolleyes:
Could it be sour grapes? :p

I know we've done this before Christoph.

You can't seriously think that AudioNec setup was any good compared to the top flight rooms.

I haven't said the Pacific is crap. Far from it. I have said until I hear one in a decent system I won't be sure it is any better than a GG1. And I'd need a GG1 present to be sure.

Not unreasonable.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

Hi Ron,

If you are considering investing into a MSB DAC, and if your listening room is still in a constructive stage, I would suggest to have fiber installed from your listening room to your office. That gives you the option to use the MSB Pro USB module with your office computer which can run Roon software, that will perform very acceptable already. If at any point in the future you would feel the need to upgrade your source, it could sit in your office then as well saving rack space in your listening room. You can also have copper networking installed to give you more options, like using the MSB renderer. At any rate, both copper and fiber will be a very minor investment, you can spend more on a decent lunch.

Reactions: Folsom

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Hi Ron,

If you are considering investing into a MSB DAC, and if your listening room is still in a constructive stage, I would suggest to have fiber installed from your listening room to your office. That gives you the option to use the MSB Pro USB module with your office computer which can run Roon software, that will perform very acceptable already. If at any point in the future you would feel the need to upgrade your source, it could sit in your office then as well saving rack space in your listening room. You can also have copper networking installed to give you more options, like using the MSB renderer. At any rate, both copper and fiber will be a very minor investment, you can spend more on a decent lunch.

... and off we go with all the computers, servers, switch boxes, power supplies, renderers, fibers, roon versions, melaki and voodoo that
people use in attempt to get computer audio to sound good ...

Digital audio brings equipment fiddling to a new level. Just my few cents.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
... and off we go with all the computers, servers, switch boxes, power supplies, renderers, fibers, roon versions, melaki and voodoo that
people use in attempt to get computer audio to sound good ...

Digital audio brings equipment fiddling to a new level. Just my few cents.

This is not fiddling, it's basic infrastructure. Emile's post was very on point, since Ron is finishing his house, and now it's the right time to put that basic infrastructure into place (cabling).
Obviously, I strongly disagree with you and your post. "Fiddling" is the amount of work required to properly dial in a turntable/tonearm/cartridge.
For folks who have no clue how to set up a turntable, that is just as esoteric and complicated as digital audio is to you.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I agree it is basic infrastructure. But it is also a black hole. Because you can actually hear improvements
in computer sound with the ZYX mk ii switchbox from Big Bad Computers supplied by the ÆØÅ mk iii linear power
supply from YADIYADA.

But still, you'll struggle to get it to sound as good as a marantz cd 94 used as digital source.

In that respect computer audio is infinitely more complicated and frustrating than CDs and LPs

Jesper

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing