State-of-the-Art Recordings of Classical Works (SACDs)

1721980320731.png

Rodrigo Concierto de Aranjuez Concierto Andaluz for four guitars and orchestra Celedonio Romero, Celin Romero, Pepe Romero, Angel Romero (guitars) San Antonio Symphony Orchestra/Victor Alessandro MERCURY LIVING PRESENCE 475 6184 SACD (A Relisten)

This 1967 recording sound like a fresh DSD recording! All the instruments have amazing presence and detail. Instrumental timbre sounded so right. This is one of the best-ever recordings of Rodrigo’s Guitar Concertos. "The performances are simply gorgeous, with the Romeros showcasing a confident virtuosity and romantic sensitivity that reflects their considerable experience with Rodrigo’s work."

1722320160157.png

Dmitri SHOSTAKOVICH Symphony No. 9 in E flat major, Op. 70 Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op. 99 Leonidas Kavakos (violin) Mariinsky Orchestra/Valery Gergiev MARIINSKY MAR 0524 SACD

These recordings are stunning! I felt as I was listening to a live performance. The woodwinds, the brass, the percussion, etc. sounded like the real thing. Dynamics (both micro and macro) are awesome.

1722409404747.png

TCHAIKOVSKY Piano trio in A minor, Op. 50 BABAJANIAN Piano trio SCHNITTKE Tango from the opera Life with an Idiot Vadim Gluzman (violin), Johannes Moser (cello), Yevgeny Sudbin (piano) BIS 2372 SACD (A Relisten)

Before today and before my DAC update, I was not impressed with this recording of the piano trio by Tchaikovsky. However, today I am very touched by the performance of this trio! "Once again, the recording of Moser’s cello has all the resonance of the real instrument; Sudbin’s piano is alert but self-effacing when it needs to be; Gluzman’s violin soars and inspires."

1722492617198.png

Tchaikovsky Symphony No.3 in D major, `Polish', Op.29; from the opera The Voyevoda, Op.3 -- Entr'acte and Dances of the Chambermaids
- Dmitri the Pretender and Vassily Shuisky -- Introduction to Act I. Andante non troppo, Mazurka - Serenade for Nikolai Rubinstein's Name Day
- from Eugene Onegin, Op.24 -- Entr'acte and Waltz, Neeme Järvi /Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra BIS SACD 1468

Tchaikovsky's musical works here benefit greatly from Järvi's light and fast approach. The recordings sound excellent and the orchestra is top-notch!

1723099584555.png
Romantic Trumpet Sonatas: Edvard GRIEG Holberg Suite, Op 40 (arr. Daniel-Ben Pienaar); Robert SCHUMANN Sonata No 1 in A minor, Op 105; Felix MENDELSSOHN-BARTHOLDY Sonata No 2 in D, Op 58; Karl PILSS Sonata (1935). Jonathan Freeman-Attwood (trumpet); Daniel-Ben Pienaar (piano) LINN RECORDS SACD CKD 370 (A Relisten)

Via my current sound system, Freeman-Attwood's trumpet sounded amazingly lifelike and has a golden tone! The performances are first-rate.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
1723188336587.png

Charles-Valentin Alkan Symphony for Solo Piano - Nos 4-7, Douze études dans tous les tons mineurs (12 studies in the minor keys), Op. 39 (1857)
Concerto for Solo Piano - Nos 8-10, Douze études dans tous les tons mineurs Paul Wee (piano) BIS-2465 SACD (A Relisten)

Wow, here, the Steinway Grand D fills my listening room with musical power and warmth and it sounded so real! I can hear every nuance of Paul Wee's playing that it sounds as though he is performing in my listening room. "This is an utterly mind-boggling performance in every respect."

Two of my all time favorites are not mentioned, Mahler 3 and Bruckner 8.

For Mahler 3rd I have three recommendations, On Decca Riccardo Chailly RCO. On Channel Ivan Fischer BFO, and the most recent one BIS Osmo Vanska Minnesota.

Most of my absolute favorites are on conventional CD’s. For Bruckner 8 DG offered SACD of VPO Pier Boulez but soon discontinued and offered it on regular CD, there is a good one but in slower tempos on Gramola conducted by Ballot.

1723362539333.png

AARON COPLAND - Billy the Kid ballet score: Suite & Waltz; Rodeo ballet score: Four Dance Episodes; Honky Tonk Interlude FERDE GROFÉ - Grand Canyon Suite. Morton Gould/Morton Gould Orchestra RCA Living Stereo Sony BMG 82876679042 SACD (A Relisten)

I will only comment on the Copland's works. Wow, this is one of the most lifelike recordings of a symphonic orchestra! The soundstage is huge, three dimensional, spacious and airy. The sound of the orchestra is alive, totally transparent and resonant. Dynamics and transient speed are amazing. The high soars. All the instruments have amazing presence and detail. Instrumental timbre sounded so right. Even between tracks, the ambience of the recording venue could be heard and felt! The performances are excellent, both technically and artistically. Play loud.

1723530682015.png

The Essence Of Viennese Music - Opera, operetta and dance. Edith Lienbacher (soprano), Herbert Lippert (tenor)
Bruckner Orchester Linz/Peter Guth Chesky Records SACD 255 (A Relisten)

Featuring the music of Strauss (Snr), Mozart, Schubert, Kalman, Lehar and Strauss (Jnr), this is a very enjoyable disc. The perspectives and sound are very natural and realistic.

• 1. Unter Donner und Blitz (Polka schnell)
  • 2. Das eine kann ich nicht verzeih'n (Wiener Blut)
  • 3. Radetzky-Marsch
  • 4. Sei mir gegruesst du holdes Venetia (Eine Nacht in Venedig)
  • 5. Deh vieni non tardar (La nozze di Figaro)
  • 6. Dies Bildnis ist bezaubernd schoen (Die Zauberfloete)
  • 7. Vilja Lied (Die Lustige Witwe)
  • 8. Overture (Die Fledermaus)
  • 9. Lippen Schweigen (Die lustige Witwe)
  • 10. Entr'acte Musik No. 2 (Rosamunde)
  • 11. Licht senkt es sich vom Himmel (Das Dreimaederlhaus)
  • 12. Mein Herr Marquis (Die Fledermaus)
  • 13. Dein ist mein ganzes Herz (Das Land des Laechelns)
  • 14. An der schoenen blauen Donau
  • 15. Tanzen moecht' ich (Die Cardasfuerstin)

1724228889109.png

Ludwig Van Beethoven CD 1 Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37 Piano Concerto No. 4 in G, Op. 58 CD 2 Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat, Op. 73 “Emperor”. Artur Pizarro (piano) Scottish Chamber Orchestra/Sir Charles Mackerras LINN RECORDS CKD 336 SACD (A Relisten)

"It would almost be worth acquiring these two discs for the conducting." The readings are fresh and inspiring and the SCO was in top-form. Amazingly, the concertos were flawlessly recorded, almost live.

1724313228715.png

Mahler Symphony No. 4, Budapest Festival Orchestra/Iván Fischer, Channel Classics CCS SA 26109 SACD (A Relisten)

Fischer’s achievement here is extraordinary! His ability to caress a phrase make this one of the most musically satisfying recordings. There is a unique purity and transparency in this recording. The sounds are so lifelike, including the bass lines which sounded so naturally resonant. The enchanting woodwinds take us to Mahler's inner child, to his dreams of angels and pure, divine love. The gates of paradise are flung open, replicating the immediacy of the concert hall.

1724654526945.png

Sergei RACHMANINOV Cello Sonata in G minor, op. 19; Vocalise, op. 34 no. 14; Alexander BORODIN Cello Sonata in B minor; Dmitri SHOSTAKOVICH Cello Sonata in D minor, op. 40. Alexander Chaushian (cello), Yevgeny Sudbin (piano) BIS-SACD-1858 (A Relisten)

Listen especially to the Shostakovich Cello Sonata. The piano and cello have amazing presence, dynamics and transient response! "The playing is of a supreme order and profoundly expressive."

View attachment 135240

Mahler Symphony No. 4, Budapest Festival Orchestra/Iván Fischer, Channel Classics CCS SA 26109 SACD (A Relisten)

Fischer’s achievement here is extraordinary! His ability to caress a phrase make this one of the most musically satisfying recordings. There is a unique purity and transparency in this recording. The sounds are so lifelike, including the bass lines which sounded so naturally resonant. The enchanting woodwinds take us to Mahler's inner child, to his dreams of angels and pure, divine love. The gates of paradise are flung open, replicating the immediacy of the concert hall.
I like his Mahler work. Ivan Fischer's Mahler 2 is my favorite of this series so far.

1724743967799.png
Mahler Symphony No. 7 San Francisco Symphony Orchestra/Michael Tilson Thomas SAN FRANCISCO SYMPHONY 821936-0009-2 SACD

This recording is so true to life. I love its purity, its transparency, its immediacy, and its dynamics. The San Francisco Symphony was in top-form. This is an astounding performance. The brass playing is amazing.

Attachments

• 1724740438012.png
    1724740438012.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
1724914218393.png

Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART Violin Concerto No. 3 in G major, K216; Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K219; Sinfonia Concertante K364. Richard Tognetti (violin soloist and leader) Christopher Moore (viola, K364) Australian Chamber Orchestra BIS-SACD-1754 (A Relisten)

The first impression of the recording is that of clarity and transparency. The wide dynamic range the ACO achieves is awesome. "Tognetti’s tone, coming as it does from a superb Guarneri instrument from 1743, is fragrant in its subtlety of colours and vibrancy." The sound is full and detailed and exciting.

1725173160165.png

Franz Shubert Symphony No. 9 in C Major, D. 944 "Great" Royal Flemish Philharmonic /Philippe Herreweghe PentaTone PTC 5186 372 SACD

Three-dimensional and lifelike sound. The bassine is full, clean and resonant. The performance is excellent - insightful and fresh.

1725343150631.png

Robert Schumann Fantasiestücke, Op. 12 Blumenstück, Op. 19 Études symphoniques, Op. 13 Freddy Kempf (piano) BIS-2010 SACD (A Relisten)

Listening to this entire album just a while ago (via my undated DAC) make time stand still in rapt wonder. The excellent grand piano sound has a wide dynamic range, rich resonance, and a rich tonal palette, a full bass sonority and nice warmth. "You might want to push it with a little more volume than normal to gain the full picture, but by the end of the Études symphoniques you will know all about this Steinway Grand D."

1725515129824.png

Chopin Scherzi and Impromptus Yundi Li (piano) Deutsche Grammophon 00289 474 8782 SACD (A Relisten)

Wow, via my updated DAC, this piano recording is off the charts! The sound of the Steinway Grand D is one of power, warmth, richness and color. Extremely open, lifelike, bell-like and spine-tingling timbre.

1725601454522.png

Tchaikovsky Coronation March; Barber Adagio for Strings; Gounod Funeral March of a Marionette; Holst Chaconne, from First Suite for Military Band, Op. 28, No. 1; Sibelius Finlandia; Řezníček Praeludium and Chromatic Fugue; Saint-Saëns Romance, from Orchestral Suite in D, Op. 49; Wagner Forest Murmurs, from Siegfried; Mendelssohn Scherzo, from A Midsummer Night's Dream ;Järnefelt Praeludium for small orchestra; Verdi Grand March, from Aïda. Jan Kraybill (Organ) Reference Recordings RR-145 SACD

Listen especially to Barber Adagio for Strings; Gounod Funeral March; Sibelius Finlandia; Řezníček Praeludium and Chromatic Fugue. Deep bass is awesome via my Magico Q-Sub 15, with electrostatic-like resolution. The sense of space, the lifelike timbres, realistic decay, etc. are fascinating. "Within the pieces are a variety of tone colors and compositional details that exhibit the remarkable abilities of organist Jan Kraybill."

1725860760882.png

Gustav Holst The Planets Suite for large orchestra; The Perfect Fool - ballet music Op.39. Kansas City Symphony/Michael Stern REFERENCE RECORDINGS RR-146 SACD

The playing is refined and precise but the recording (to some extend) lack excitement. However, the orchestra sounds the way a real orchestra would sound in a concert hall. The bassline sounded like the real thing via my sound system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu