State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

Mike, are you considering one of these turntables?
i'm not "in the market" for any alternative turntable. yet there a few, including the K3 and the one you just acquired, that i'm attracted to and pay attention to. congrats, btw. i'm very happy for you.

but the graphs for desire and cost have to cross for those tt's for me to be serious and enter "the market". i don't want any of them enough to pull the trigger. and my retirement plans have a vote too.

i do not expect to change or add any turntables at this point. but it's silly to close any doors.

i'm not "in the market" for any alternative turntable. yet there a few, including the K3 and the one you just acquired, that i'm attracted to and pay attention to. congrats, btw. i'm very happy for you.

but the graphs for desire and cost have to cross for those tt's for me to be serious and enter "the market". i don't want any of them enough to pull the trigger. and my retirement plans have a vote too.

i do not expect to change or add any turntables at this point. but it's silly to close any doors.
I think you have enough tts and went through so many already sir. Maybe it's time to allocste more to other interesting hobby of yours. :)

I think you have enough tts and went through so many already sir. Maybe it's time to allocate more to other interesting hobby of yours. :)
my thinking too. and the highly probable end game.

i need to sort out my DaVa cart, FCL arm, and EMIA SUT's. real life has intruded this last month to slow that down. those are the open items on my gear check list. not acquisitions.

No, it seems you are again not able to reason, you are too busy putting false words in people mouth. I am writing posts that any one can comment or address.

I said that the basic and fundamental characteristic of horns is its typical directionality. I partially explained why. All else is connected to this aspect. Bass is considered omnidirectional, when people comment on directionality they generally address frequencies in the middle frequencies zone.
IMHO

My understanding of the Tractrix horn is that the walls of the final part of the flare are 180 degrees out from the mouth of the horn, producing an equal sound wave front 180 degrees from the centre. The only areas not served by this flair are those greater than 180 degrees (read, behind the speakers). Is that what you mean by "directionality"?

In my experience, people sitting next to each other listening to horns can all accurately perceive the soundstage, whereas with typical (read non-horn-loaded) monitors, there tends to be a "sweet spot" (point of a triangle with the speakers forming the base) where the full stereo effect is best appreciated and when outside of such, it is not. The sweet spot is even smaller with Martin Logan electrostatic loudspeakers that I have listened to. Moving your head a few inches with those can make all the difference in the world.

Although I have never heard them, I have read that MBL build speakers that are truly omnidirectional.

I think the difference between systems with horns (and those without horns) may be related to other factors (in addition to dispersion). People tend to belong to the high power amplification - low sensitivity speakers camp, or the low power amplification - high sensitivity speakers camp. Many in the latter use Class A SET's to power those high sensitivity speakers (not all horns by the way, read Devore).

You can see there are many factors other than dispersion to take into consideration.

Last edited:
I was listening to some jazz quartet/quintet live music performed in a forest recently, and the lack of soundstage and dynamics was striking. A violin, usually an instrument capable of LOUD sounded as if it had strings made of chewing gum and pinpointing any instrument was impossible from more than plm 5 meters distance. Same happens in a music hall, but there the acoustics are more controlled and the soundstage much wider when an orchestra is playing. Still it makes me think all the focus going into pinpoint accuracy is fas less important than getting the 'colors' and tonal structures right.

...so much for natural sound. OK, OK, just kidding. But what would hifi be without reflections, and to some extent, " sonic containment" as a context? Would be a good band name: Sonic Containment.

Reactions: Bobvin and MarcelNL
I think you have enough tts and went through so many already sir. Maybe it's time to allocste more to other interesting hobby of yours. :)
Erm, is that Mrs. Tang?

I was listening to some jazz quartet/quintet live music performed in a forest recently, and the lack of soundstage and dynamics was striking. A violin, usually an instrument capable of LOUD sounded as if it had strings made of chewing gum and pinpointing any instrument was impossible from more than plm 5 meters distance. Same happens in a music hall, but there the acoustics are more controlled and the soundstage much wider when an orchestra is playing. Still it makes me think all the focus going into pinpoint accuracy is fas less important than getting the 'colors' and tonal structures right.

The question I would have is if that string quartet were recorded outside in the forest, whether or not the stereo system and set up then created a sense of pinpoint imaging or image outlines. I’ve had gear that created or enhanced these audiophile effects. It is not what I hear in a room, a concert hall, or outside.

1661693954227.jpeg

Reactions: tima
Erm, is that Mrs. Tang?
not exactly sure what Tang was referring to, other than my pending retirement and my 'boat' mentions here and there. it is the 'other' thing in my mind that would compete for asset allocation. my system is now revenue neutral (whatever i do) and the boat question more a time question. do i want to be away for periods from Mrs. Mike (is it ok with her?) or not? maybe not. she likes boats but does not see herself on a boat for extended time periods. escaping on a boat is the attraction to me.

under review.

Last edited:
Mike, my GF loves the fact that the hobby gets me out of her hair for hours at a time.
She doesn't even put up with cable chat at the dinner table.
The couple that hobbies apart stays together.

The question I would have is if that string quartet were recorded outside in the forest, whether or not the stereo system and set up then created a sense of pinpoint imaging or image outlines. I’ve had gear that created or enhanced these audiophile effects. It is not what I hear in a room, a concert hall, or outside.

View attachment 97332
your point makes sense, I wondered about that too...since smart phones typically only have a mono mike I did not even bother to try...
Over that same period I heard a piece by Debussy sung in 4 voices by 9 singers of which 8 were on a swing wearing white drapes/gowns....I expect nobody ever imagined what the doppler effect would do as the swings were to add a flowing motion to the gowns, it was magical. Go record that....must be a nightmare to record AND recreate. No imaging of any specific voice there either, sitting in the center of the square formed by singers in two rows, the only thing I could pinpoint were the squeaky hinges of the swings.

• Haha
Reactions: PYP and rando
Mike, my GF loves the fact that the hobby gets me out of her hair for hours at a time.
She doesn't even put up with cable chat at the dinner table.
The couple that hobbies apart stays together.

take up fishing, much cheaper, and will keep you in an isolated spot for hours

take up fishing, much cheaper, and will keep you in an isolated spot for hours
leaving this afternoon for 2 days of salmon fishing on the Columbia River Estuary (google Bouy 10 fishing).

not exactly isolated (4 plus a guide in the 28 foot boat)......2000-3000 boats at a time....but it's a big river. and there are whales, sea lions and millions of birds too.

Last edited:
I just caught a Miayima Zero for the RCA70A and think I just 'released' a Taiko ATX with a hairline fracture in the PCB....I have to replace the ATX as what I'm using now sounds like something is broken...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing