Steve's RMAF 2012 Picture Thread And Top 5 In Show

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That's the network box that all Transparent cables (as well as MIT cables) have

Kind of reminds me of a Madagascar cockroach on steroids. I find it a little scary the network box is that huge. How many passive components are stuffed in that box that goes between the amp and the speakers? Bob Carver could build a 500 watt amplifier inside that network box.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Kind of reminds me of a Madagascar cockroach on steroids. I find it a little scary the network box is that huge. How many passive components are stuffed in that box that goes between the amp and the speakers? Bob Carver could build a 500 watt amplifier inside that network box.

And it would cost less.:p

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Titanic job Steve, thanks a lot!

Looking at those pictures reminded me that I liked DeVialet this time...the small YG has always been a revelation.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Steve, thank you for what was obviously a labor of love- how else could you justify all the time and effort put into to shooting and uploading these pics? Thank you, for enabling me to enjoy vicariously. I'm also enjoying the give and take on various listener reactions.
Leaving aside gear and sonics, per se, what was the most dramatically 'staged' room in terms of visual impact of set-up? (I know, irrelevant for the most part, but like anything else, the physical presentation of the gear in the room often means something, particularly when you know, from the outset, that making sonic evalutions in a show context is quirky).
And, if someone had to pick the biggest 'delta' between hype and sonics, what would that be? (An impolitic question, but worth asking, I think).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bud Fried? Really?
I presume son of Irving? (I met Irving a thousand years ago, back when IMF was imported in the States. He was somewhat bombastic, but I was pretty young back then, circa 1973?)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Great job, Steve. I think the little SF's look like a nice/lot of speaker for the price. How do they compare to the Totem's?
BTW, I see the Audio Power Labs amps were being demo'ed. A local dealer here carries the line, are they as good as one would expect for the price?

Have to wonder why in the Rowland room, they took care to lift the speaker cables off the floor, make sure the speakers were on spiked stands and yet left the amp on the floor...:rolleyes:

Can't say I have ever heard the YG's or Venture speakers sound good at any show I have attended. At this years Newport, I thought the YG's were some of the worst sound there. The Venture's
were also nothing to shout home about at Newport. Perhaps design changes have been made to both speakers.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I had never heard either speaker (Venture or YG), but both sounded great.
The YG room itself, with Tenor and Veloce gear, was excellent, very smooth, yet with nice imaging and a realistic, natural sound.
I think they were also on the MSB room, another one that sounded amazing, despite its size...

alexandre

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I presume son of Irving? (I met Irving a thousand years ago, back when IMF was imported in the States. He was somewhat bombastic, but I was pretty young back then, circa 1973?)
There's a story. Google it sometime.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
One of the most interesting rooms at the show

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/RMAF 2012/IMG_0036.jpg

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/RMAF 2012/IMG_0030.jpg

[/IMG][/QUOTE

Thanks for the report Steve.. great effort

any impression on this room? Reason I asked - I own MP64 :cool:

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Wonderful pictures, Steve.

Next year you might try separate threads for each room like Ivan did over on AA.;-)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The Grand Utopias were not at RMAF this ear. The "Stella" was in the Soulution room, at $Eighty Thousand less!!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Great pics, Steve.

Looks like a lot of interesting installations. Even the Cabasse "eyeball of doom". I don't think the 833 tubes are that expensive, but haven't priced them in a while. Would have loved to hear some of those transmitting triode amps.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Great Pics, Steve, thanks a lot for those of us who could not attend the show.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing