STUDER A820: Slow action of break; a quick fix

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
I don't know whether you experienced this problem before: the release of break solenoid plunger of left spooling motor break of my STUDER A820 was prolonged to be about ten seconds. I tried to disassembled the break solenoid and hold it up right to test whether gravity will pull the plunger down after power off. As expected the plunger was stuck inside. My original thought was to switch left and right plunger and see whether mixing two will solve the problem. Then I came up an idea of adding a thin cushion, maybe a thin teflon washer, to the coned base as a separator. I managed to cut a 4mm diameter from wax backing of double sided tape and put inside the base of the plunger.
After some maneuvering I put the break solenoid back to working position. Pressing STOP for a few seconds and release both left and right plunger released without any delay. Problem solved!

Yeun-Jung Wu

Attachments

• Breaking_Solenoid.jpeg
    Breaking_Solenoid.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Plumger_04.jpeg
    Plumger_04.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Plumger_02.jpeg
    Plumger_02.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Plumger_03.jpeg
    Plumger_03.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 6

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
I don't know whether you experienced this problem before: the release of break solenoid plunger of left spooling motor break of my STUDER A820 was prolonged to be about ten seconds. I tried to disassembled the break solenoid and hold it up right to test whether gravity will pull the plunger down after power off. As expected the plunger was stuck inside. My original thought was to switch left and right plunger and see whether mixing two will solve the problem. Then I came up an idea of adding a thin cushion, maybe a thin teflon washer, to the coned base as a separator. I managed to cut a 4mm diameter from wax backing of double sided tape and put inside the base of the plunger.
After some maneuvering I put the break solenoid back to working position. Pressing STOP for a few seconds and release both left and right plunger released without any delay. Problem solved!

Yeun-Jung Wu
I got a good suggestion from a member of tapehead forum.

Now both solenoids worked as expected in their original state.

Yeun-Jung Wu

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
I got a good suggestion from a member of tapehead forum.

Now both solenoids worked as expected in their original state.

Yeun-Jung Wu
I went back to my wax paper solution again since long press STOP or PLAY did create time lag between two plunger action. This lag can not be eliminated no matter how I screw those two hex.

Yeun-Jung Wu

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
Further inspection revealed the cause behind the delay: missing part of the cushion?

Pictures shown the inside of the solenoid: Healthy one (Right picture) has a shinning reflective flat surface on the tip of the cone while that with delayed action (left picture) had a cushioned material exposed; there were sticky residue on the bottom of the coned plunger.

Attachments

• Break_Solenoid_1.jpeg
    Break_Solenoid_1.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 7
  • Break_Solenoid_2.jpeg
    Break_Solenoid_2.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 7

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing