Sublime Sound

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, I have at some French guy's house. You shouldn't assume what has or has not been heard.

You haven't heard the ones I have. There are too many variations of Altec. I have done the whole France tour, not liked any, and if by a French Markus klug wooden Altec user, you are referring to Daniel, I have been to his too.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It would be nice to go back to talking Peter's system. May be learning about what one consider not sounding natural in specific can in return describe what is natural. And we can use this info to remind us the way he hear or prefer when he makes comment of an equipment.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
"Unless a stereo is broken then anything you hear is on the recording (barring uncleaned LPs). Literally every bit of it."

This is patently untrue. All distortions are CREATED by the electronics and transducers (cartridge and speakers) and are sounds you can hear that are not on the recording. These precisely what I am talking about as potentially being destructive to natural sound. Also, they are what I am referring to as "artifacts". You can add other distortions such as jitter (digital) or speed variations (analog) as artifacts of reprorduction as well...and they are certainly audible. Noise through the power would also be artifacts not on the recordings...I am frankly surprised at this comment by you...you should know better.

"As far as covering up, I have no idea how you think that’s not possible. Given that what audiophiles often call distortions in the music isn’t actual distortion, it’s really not appropriate to say you can’t cover up something with distortion or consistent aberration."

My experience is that you may mask it a bit but listen for a while and that original offensive distortion is still there and still audible. It might take longer to perceive it but once you have heard it again you will not unhear it and now you have additional distortions in the mix. I have found that with constant aberrations (like from speakers) you can often adapt to them to where you basically stop hearing them...until you go away and come back again to listen. I have hear this with a lot of vintage speakers where upon first listen you are stunned by the level of coloration but after awhile you stop noticing the issues so much and hear what they do really well like dynamics and presence. Then you go away and hear some live music and then come back and hear the coloration again for a while. Some speaker colorations you don't get used to because depending on the level and frequency they are constantly changing and this is the problem also with many electronic colorations...they are constantly changing with the music and so your brain doesn't mask them.

"I’d even go as far to say people like consistent aberrations enough that there are plenty that make it into the “natural” camp, and ultimately help to reduce undesirable sound that’s included with the music, or simply homogenize it so you don’t detect anything."

Yes, consistent aberrations can be largely ignored and may not necessarily impact on a natural sound. It is not perceived as negatively "synthetic"; however, most electronic distortion patterns simply do no happen in nature so our ear/brain has not evolved to understand this sound other than that it is not natural. This, therefore, cannot be "gotten used to". It is far easier with speakers because ultimately they are mostly mechanical machines pumping air...like real sounds in nature. Therefore, a lot of their distortions are of simple order that the ear/brain is used to working with and it is possible then to adapt to a given sound.

"The major mistake is believing everything good to the ears is derived from objectively good for measurements and ethos of the stereo equipment. It just is not so."

I have never made this mistake so I don't think you are referring to me. Otherwise, I would likely not have SET amps and horn speakers. I believe in what is psychoacoustically correct...that to me is true objectivity in audio.

"Think about it, do you consider floppy-ass boxes used with vintage speakers to be objectively good? No, no one actually thinks that. But those wise enough to listen might be using $130k Lamm amps on a garage sale find, perfectly content. So maybe what you think you know isn’t true how you think it is, or maybe certain aberrations that are consistent in the right way are simply more pleasurable"

It is hard to say how good they are objectively...have you measured them? Psychoacoustically, some of them are very good...probably because they were largely designed by people who could hear well and not by computer. The compression drivers were very good and at home listening levels have very low distortion...the horns used were diffraction types that are probably more colored than today's horns but they still were pretty effective sounding. Bass was probably the weakest part of old speakers and perhaps we have learned a thing or two there. Not sure what your point is about Lamm amps...they are quite good sounding I find but maybe not worth the asking price.

I think in general the reduction of aberrations (distortions) that are audible is a good thing and leads to more natural sound. Some distortions are clearly worse than others...but absence is best. Since no electronics or speakers are truly absent of distortions then to choose the less psychoacoustically damaging path is for me the best we can do in the hear and now...maybe someday a truly linear amplification device will exist and truly coloration free speakers with unlimited dynamics will exist but I am not holding my breath.

Yes, not everything was for you.

And it is patently true.

Believe me on this: The character of the studio and the sounds of the studio are two very different things. No one in the natural camp (and whatever Tima is calling it now) wants the sounds of the studio. They're part of the recording but certain things make them come forward enough that they're distracting.

There's enough stereo equipment out there to represent very low distortion (measurable for phase and linear), but it's a guarantee audiophiles will hear stuff in them that they call distortions. It hardly matters though because they won't like the sound. That's the fact, most people don't like the most true sound of the music with the recording process, because one is music the other is a necessary evil. This is why I said studios must change before we love the most accurate depiction of a recording, and in ways we cannot fathom yet. Plus you need the engineers to stop trying to make HiFi sound.

Reactions: wil

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: tima

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, not everything was for you.

And it is patently true.

Believe me on this: The character of the studio and the sounds of the studio are two very different things. No one in the natural camp (and whatever Tima is calling it now) wants the sounds of the studio. They're part of the recording but certain things make them come forward enough that they're distracting.

There's enough stereo equipment out there to represent very low distortion (measurable for phase and linear), but it's a guarantee audiophiles will hear stuff in them that they call distortions. It hardly matters though because they won't like the sound. That's the fact, most people don't like the most true sound of the music with the recording process, because one is music the other is a necessary evil. This is why I said studios must change before we love the most accurate depiction of a recording, and in ways we cannot fathom yet. Plus you need the engineers to stop trying to make HiFi sound.

No, its not true and there is data to support my position. You are essentially claiming that all amps with a low enough distortion, regardless of how they achieved it, will sound bad because now you hear "everything" on the recording? Is that really your position?? Because that is what you seem to have written here.

It has been demonstrated numerous times that low measured THD is not a guarantee of inaudibility. Geddes found no or even a slight negative correlation between THD and percevied sound quality! Until you take into account the nature of the distortion itself you cannot make such claims as you have made above...and almost nobody is taking that into account!

Does the recording quality play a big role in believability ? Of course it does...but it is definitely not the only thing and it can easily be the gear that exaggerates "non-music" sounds. Pushing things forward in the soundstage has a lot to do with distortion in the playback. That is why as you strip away noise and noise modulated distortion you get darker backgrounds and deeper soundstage and more holographic imaging...those distortion artifacts destroy the illusion because of how we perceive them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
First speaker ever made, natural sound

wil

Jul 22, 2015
No, its not true and there is data to support my position. You are essentially claiming that all amps with a low enough distortion, regardless of how they achieved it, will sound bad because now you hear "everything" on the recording? Is that really your position?? Because that is what you seem to have written here.

It has been demonstrated numerous times that low measured THD is not a guarantee of inaudibility. Geddes found no or even a slight negative correlation between THD and percevied sound quality! Until you take into account the nature of the distortion itself you cannot make such claims as you have made above...and almost nobody is taking that into account!

Does the recording quality play a big role in believability ? Of course it does...but it is definitely not the only thing and it can easily be the gear that exaggerates "non-music" sounds. Pushing things forward in the soundstage has a lot to do with distortion in the playback. That is why as you strip away noise and noise modulated distortion you get darker backgrounds and deeper soundstage and more holographic imaging...those distortion artifacts destroy the illusion because of how we perceive them.

From my experience, which is admittedly less deep than others in this discussion, it is the quality of the miking, engineering, mastering and everything else that goes into the making of the sausage we call -- The Recording-- that matters far more in the pursuit of Natural, Realistic sound than what we're using to play it back.

As we audiophiles are powerless to move the buried iceberg of all that comes in the process before, we obsess over making the small tip of the berg (our playback systems) a little better. Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious!

Reactions: dbeau

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
From my experience, which is admittedly less deep than others in this discussion, it is the quality of the miking, engineering, mastering and everything else that goes into the making of the sausage we call -- The Recording-- that matters far more in the pursuit of Natural, Realistic sound than what we're using to play it back.

As we audiophiles are powerless to move the buried iceberg of all that comes in the process before, we obsess over making the small tip of the berg (our playback systems) a little better. Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious!

I agree that top recordings make it possible to achieve the highest possible realism; however, this can be easily destroyed by the gear.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

I'm certainly not making the claim that all amps with low distortion will sound bad to everyone, but to a lot of people they'll be a little too HiFi for their tastes. They want the meat, not the extras. The hard part is they'll say it has lots of distortion because from their perspective distortion is relative to their idea of the music, not relative to the recording. That statement is almost exclusively what people talk about since you can't identify distortion levels by ear until they're rather high.

Low distortion of different types might be audible, but it's not an artifact. By definition it cannot be, as it can only distort something that exists (the music). And yes we all know the type often matters more than the amount up to a fairly high percent... do you own a glue factory? This is the difference between pleasant and unpleasant sound, not HiFi vs natural.

And also I preferenced linear distortion as a qualifier, in which you can't really push much of anything if it's low... as that would be distortion.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: howiebrou

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm certainly not making the claim that all amps with low distortion will sound bad to everyone, but to a lot of people they'll be a little too HiFi for their tastes. They want the meat, not the extras. The hard part is they'll say it has lots of distortion because from their perspective distortion is relative to their idea of the music, not relative to the recording. That statement is almost exclusively what people talk about since you can't identify distortion levels by ear until they're rather high.

Low distortion of different types might be audible, but it's not an artifact. By definition it cannot be, as it can only distort something that exists (the music). And yes we all know the type often matters more than the amount up to a fairly high percent... do you own a glue factory? This is the difference between pleasant and unpleasant sound, not HiFi vs natural.

And also I preferenced linear distortion as a qualifier, in which you can't really push much of anything if it's low... as that would be distortion.

You are now blaming "hifi" sound on the recordings? Low distortion of high order is audible and it is a probably cause of "hifi" sound...not good recordings. Of course poor recordings will not allow your system to reach it's potential.

ALL distortion is an artifact...by definition. Go look at the Miriam/Webster dictionary for the definition of an artifact...definition 2c clearly defines an artifact in the electronic sense (not the Indiana Jones sense). I have no idea what you mean by "do you own a glue factor" . And no, it is not about pleasant or unpleasant (although live, unamplified music played well is almost always in the pleasant category, unless the music itself is by definition unpleasant (dissonant for example)) it is about AUDIBLE vs. INAUDIBLE distortions leading to a "hifi" vs less hifi or "natural" sound. The removal of artifacts as it were.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You are now blaming "hifi" sound on the recordings? Low distortion of high order is audible and it is a probably cause of "hifi" sound...not good recordings. Of course poor recordings will not allow your system to reach it's potential.

ALL distortion is an artifact...by definition. Go look at the Miriam/Webster dictionary for the definition of an artifact...definition 2c clearly defines an artifact in the electronic sense (not the Indiana Jones sense). I have no idea what you mean by "do you own a glue factor" . And no, it is not about pleasant or unpleasant (although live, unamplified music played well is almost always in the pleasant category, unless the music itself is by definition unpleasant (dissonant for example)) it is about AUDIBLE vs. INAUDIBLE distortions leading to a "hifi" vs less hifi or "natural" sound. The removal of artifacts as it were.

You should probably read a definition before referencing one... At this point you just sound like your marbles are long gone, rolled away. (for everyone else reading, there is no 2C, check for yourself)

By your definition one would not need to play music to understand whether a stereo was good or not, it being on with sufficient bias would be more than enough to tell someone that it sounded wrong.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You should probably read a definition before referencing one... At this point you just sound like your marbles are long gone, rolled away. (for everyone else reading, there is no 2C, check for yourself)

By your definition one would not need to play music to understand whether a stereo was good or not, it being on with sufficient bias would be more than enough to tell someone that it sounded wrong.

Once again you show you can't read...I said the definition of ARTIFACT...not distortion, which is what you linked :rolleyes:.

Definition of artifact

2a:
a product of artificial character (as in a scientific test) due usually to extraneous (such as human) agency

b: an electrocardiographic and electroencephalographic wave that arises from sources other than the heart or brain

c: a defect in an image (such as a digital photograph) that appears as a result of the technology and methods used to create and process the image… can produce a very good picture, but there will be some loss of detail and some color artifacts such as adjacent colors bleeding into each other.

The example is for digital photography but applies just fine to audio.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I thought Peter's system sounded really good the last time I was there. Well, it did the time before that as well but he certainly made improvements.

I thought it was interesting that he removed the tube traps and that it didn't muddy up his sound.

Reactions: PeterA and Al M.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I thought Peter's system sounded really good the last time I was there. Well, it did the time before that as well but he certainly made improvements.

I thought it was interesting that he removed the tube traps and that it didn't muddy up his sound.
He had different speakers each time? That could load the room quite differently.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
He had different speakers each time? That could load the room quite differently.

No, same Q3s, but he changed the positioning of the speakers and removed the tube traps.

Reactions: morricab and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This tells me you misunderstand at least some of the purpose for going to shows...it is to gain exposure to gear you do not previously know or can afford to try at home. Of course it can also be for window shopping and lead maybe to a future purchase. Also, if you have a good technical understanding for gear and WHY a designer has made certain choices and which kinds of electronic topologies give consistently good sound or rarely good sound it allows you to start to weed out undesirable mistakes.

There is no such thing as a colorless system...but not all colorations are so destructive to allowing a natural sound. This is why the topology and not just the execution of the device matters. Different topologies generate different distortion patterns that are more or less "synthetic" psychoacoustically and this has a huge impact on the perception of realism.

Your currently desired super speaker (Altec with double 15s in a short front loaded horn) has plenty of coloration that does not necessarily destroy believability once you adapt to the colorations...but colored it most ceratinly is...the question is how is that relevant to realistic, natural or believable sound (take your pick on the adjectives).

I recently watched a video interview of Nelson Pass in which he describes how he added 2nd harmonic distortion out of phase in differing amounts to his XA.8 amplifiers to increase the "perception" of depth and I suppose increase realism. There are measurements, typology, and listening tests. Designers design and we buy what we like, for a variety of reasons.

I would like to better understand the engineering that goes into amplifier design, but absent that, I listen and try to make a choice that best suits my interests.

Reactions: morricab

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
He is using constant directivity horn.

Guys, one day Peter will wake up and turn his thread into a horn thread, but I don't think we should turn it into one before he wakes up today

Just getting out of bed and I somehow missed the last couple of pages. I refuse to be woke, for so many reasons.

If you want to discuss horns on my system thread, please discuss Don Smithers. His blowing sounds pretty natural over here.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It would be nice to go back to talking Peter's system. May be learning about what one consider not sounding natural in specific can in return describe what is natural. And we can use this info to remind us the way he hear or prefer when he makes comment of an equipment.

Thank you Tang. The other day Al M. and I went over to Madfloyd's place to compare preamps. We listened and compared and channeled Bonzo, because we were candid with Ian about our impressions. I asked Ian what he felt was missing with the sound of his system and what he hoped a different preamp would do. We listened some more. To my ears, the preamps did not address Ian's stated issue with his system.

With his permission, we decided to make some changes to his speaker set up. It is a rather long and interesting story best told elsewhere, but the resulting sound confirmed for me an audio truth: setup really matters.

In retrospect, just like the preferences expressed by Al and Ian for one of my arm/cartridges over the other, and my preference for the other combination, these preferences and differences are much less significant that the bigger picture of how the system overall performs. The preamps sounded different, but they were minor, perhaps hampered by the system set up. Changing how the speakers connected to the floor, their toe-in, and position, truly transformed the sound of his system.

This may sound hyperbolic, and Ron's ears may be perking, but in retrospection, I heard a transformation in Ian's system similar to the one I have been making over the past several months in my own. It was profound.

When a system goes from being asleep, or hifi sounding, to one that is awake, alive, full of energy and natural sounding, the differences between listeners' preferences for one cartridge/arm combination over another or for different preamps seem insignificant. It is the big picture towards a more natural sound that has captured my focus lately. The other stuff seems suddenly less significant. (vdH sibilance alert)

When Jim Smith years ago was nearly finished completing his work in my room, he said, "Now you will be able to more clearly hear the differences between various components." He was right. Ian is now reporting clearer differences between the preamps, than I heard at the time before the changes, and he and Al reported clear differences between by my two arm/cartridge combinations the last time they were here.

The important thing for me was that Al and Ian were able to enjoy my system perhaps more than before these changes toward a more natural sound, regardless of what arm/cartridge I happened to be playing. They simply preferred one over the other.

The other thing that Jim Smith told me before he left was something like this: "If you continue to think about last night's listening session the next morning or for the next few days, I know I have done my job." This is the big picture stuff and the value, I am learning, of a system that is beginning to sound more and more natural.

Reactions: Pallen

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

The interesting thing about those TubeTraps, in retrospect, was that I think they were affecting a specific frequency band and absorbing reflections and sucking out the life of the music. This seemed to cause a less even perception of the lower frequencies in my room. Once identified, I realized it sound more realistic without them. I think I had prefered their effect before because I focused in on a particular part of the sound. In typical fashion, I was breaking down the music into "bits and pieces." Stepping back, I now realize that their removal results in a more even low frequency and a more natural and wholistic sound. The room also looks much nicer.

IMG_8542.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing