Taiko Audio Extreme Router

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thank you all for the feedback! Just for future reference, we do have a thread specifically dedicated to XDMS :)

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There are many other things I have noticed. But the two main one’s worth mentioning were vocals and 3D imaging.
Vocals – When comparing vocals between NMS and Roon, they sound veil in Roon.
Same with 3D focus – NSM stays focused. Everything sounds more realistic, palpable, and 3D in NMS. With Roon, vocals and instruments seem to wander around in comparison.

That is exactly my impression. The day before I got NSM, I compared Roon and XDMS and I said Roon sounds excellent and it becomes a matter of taste and preference. However with NSM, Roon now sounds veiled and somewhat grainy. There is somewhat of a Roon presentation only much better than Roon.

So only 24hours to the big announcement which we have all been awaiting.....I'm hoping it will be the icing on the cake with BPS. There is no question in my mind that the biggest sonic uptick so far has been NSM BUT Emile says the very largest uptick comes with BPS. and I'm all in.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Is anyone else having issues with the router wifi? I cannot get it to work consistently. Tonight I opened my ipad today after listening last night and the Taiko wifi doesn’t not show up. I connected my laptop to the router and it says the wifi is active but I see nothing on my ipad, iphone or laptop. I then changed the wifi to 5 GHz but it still does not show up. I am running the current firmware.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I feel your pain, David. But only one drop of wifi from the Taiko router here since I put it in service weeks ago.

Steve Z

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Steve, what rectified it, a power cycle of the router or a software reboot?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Steve, what rectified it, a power cycle of the router or a software reboot?
I went into the router via admin log-in, checked the wifi broadcast and found it was off. So I restarted it with the software button provided and in slightly less than a minute it was completely up and operating. Haven't had a problem since.

Steve Z

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Is anyone else having issues with the router wifi? I cannot get it to work consistently. Tonight I opened my ipad today after listening last night and the Taiko wifi doesn’t not show up. I connected my laptop to the router and it says the wifi is active but I see nothing on my ipad, iphone or laptop. I then changed the wifi to 5 GHz but it still does not show up. I am running the current firmware.

Hi @dminches , If you haven't already please open a support ticket at support@taikoaudio.com with as much detail as possible, also how many / which devices you use to connect to the Taiko Wi-Fi. We cannot currently reproduce it here, which is important to be able to fix it, and unfortunately only have one other person/support ticket where this appears to occur when connecting more then one device.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I rarely drop Taiko Audio but if it happens I merely power off my LPS , wait a few seconds and power it up again and as it is powering up I remove the connection to the NUC for a few seconds and reinsert it. Taiko audio always shows up shortly after I do that. Never once failed me

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Since I received the router a few months ago, and I switch routinely between my house wifi and the Taiko wifi I have never had drop/loss in wifi.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

aLLeARS

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2020
Just set up the Taiko router for the first time. I used the following method and Roon is working without a hitch.
Powered down the Extreme.
Plugged in CAT cable to router WAN port.
Plugged in DAC cable from router to switch.
Plugged in DAC cable from switch to extreme.
Powered on router and waited a few minutes.
Powered on Switch waited a minute.
Powered on Extreme.
Set I-Pad controller to TAIKO Wi-Fi.
Roon showed up as usual. I started playing music.
Took all of five minutes to get the system working with the new router and DCD!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am curious how much of a difference one’s home router makes with respect to sound quality now that the Taiko router is in place. Before this I think it did play a role but now I am wondering how much it matters, if at all. I am asking because I may go back to my Verizon Fios router.

Reactions: Armsan

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
I've just received my new router - currently I have my PC connected to the home network via ethernet which will not be able to receive a wi-fi signal. All my Extreme updates are done via my PC in my office.

Before I connect everything, can someone confirm the best way to connect my PC to the Extreme with the new Taiko router in place? I've read the router manual and this thread but not quite clear on the best approach in my situation to ensure I preserve the sonic potential of the router / DSD.

Christiaan Punter

I've just received my new router - currently I have my PC connected to the home network via ethernet which will not be able to receive a wi-fi signal. All my Extreme updates are done via my PC in my office.

Before I connect everything, can someone confirm the best way to connect my PC to the Extreme with the new Taiko router in place? I've read the router manual and this thread but not quite clear on the best approach in my situation to ensure I preserve the sonic potential of the router / DSD.

The Extreme can still be accessed via the home network.

Although the best SQ is achieved by using Taiko Wifi for control of the Extreme, we have prepped the Router for Port Forwarding so that you can still use the Extreme, using your home wifi, for Roon, XDMS, VNC, Teamviewer, and file sharing.

For more information, see also the Router FAQ that can be found in the Downloads section on the Taiko website.
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

Reactions: Levitator

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The Extreme can still be accessed via the home network.

Although the best SQ is achieved by using Taiko Wifi for control of the Extreme, we have prepped the Router for Port Forwarding so that you can still use the Extreme, using your home wifi, for Roon, XDMS, VNC, Teamviewer, and file sharing.

For more information, see also the Router FAQ that can be found in the Downloads section on the Taiko website.
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

Christiaan, are you saying that the port forwarding rules for VNC and file sharing are preconfigured on the router?

Christiaan Punter

Christiaan, are you saying that the port forwarding rules for VNC and file sharing are preconfigured on the router?
Port Forwarding is pre-configured for Roon, so that works out of the box from your home network, but for regular network access, such as file transfer from another computer, a new rule needs to be set.

To avoid creating a new port forward rule, you could connect a computer to one of the Extreme Router's LAN ports for the full 1Gb transfer speed. Or temporarily connect the Extreme directly to your home network.

If you are willing to dive into the Router settings, you can configure port forwarding, which is a bit more elaborate. We've put writing a manual for that on the to-do list (Still to do...). The Taiko Router does not work differently from any other router in that regard.

Preliminary information - How to set up Port Forwarding via VNC and how to configure File Sharing

Please note that we cannot provide support for non-standard procedures such as this one. The below information is provided as is. If issues arise, please be aware there’s always the option to return the Router to factory settings.

VNC

1 - On the Taiko Router to go Network-> Traffic Rules -> click on Add at the bottom

1704722234576.png

Click save; then click Save and Apply

2 - Go to Network-> Firewall -> Port Forwards-> click add

1704722244834.png

click save; click Save & Apply

3 - Go to your computer on your main router (wifi or wired) and open VNC.

Create a new connection or edit an existing one.

The IP address is the Taiko Router's IP address on your main router. In my case it was 192.168.1.180. This is not the Taiko Router IP default gateway of 192.168.100.1.

You should now be able to VNC to the Extreme using your main network.

File Sharing

1 - On the Taiko Router to go Network-> Traffic Rules -> click on Add at the bottom

1704722254315.png

2 - Go to Network-> Firewall -> Port Forwards-> click add

1704722261416.png

On a windows computer you should now to be able to into file explorer and Map A Network Drive.

In "Folder" type in \\192.168.1.180\music where "192.168.1.180" is your Taiko Router IP address (same as with VNC)

The username and password are the same credentials as VNC as well.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
So Christiaan, if you temporarily connect the Extreme via LAN to your home network, presumably the IP address of the Extreme will change as the home network will assign it a new IP address? When you then connect back to Taiko Wi-Fi it will once again assign a different IP address.

Port forwarding, once set up, will prevent the changing IP addresses I’m assuming?

Christiaan Punter

So Christiaan, if you temporarily connect the Extreme via LAN to your home network, presumably the IP address of the Extreme will change as the home network will assign it a new IP address? When you then connect back to Taiko Wi-Fi it will once again assign a different IP address.

Port forwarding, once set up, will prevent the changing IP addresses I’m assuming?
Indeed, when connecting to another Router, it will hand out a new IP Address to the Extreme. I'm currently investigating Port Forwarding, as my setup seems not to work as intended. I may have updated info later.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

That is not correct. Port forwarding will not prevent your home router from assigning a new IP address. If you want prevent the Taiko router's IP address from changing you need to assign it a static IP address on your home router.

Christiaan Punter

That is not correct. Port forwarding will not prevent your home router from assigning a new IP address. If you want prevent the Taiko router's IP address from changing you need to assign it a static IP address on your home router.
Indeed, but please note that fixing an IP address on one Router does not affect what another Router can do. So, the IP address will still change when switching from one router to another. In general, I would advise using DHCP and caution for assigning a fixed IP address unless one is familiar with the routine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing