Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Based on the size of the cap bank I'm thinking a 3 to 4 month run in for the Extreme?
Marc

I think that after 4-6 weeks it is settled in pretty well and then the changes are more subtle. Of course, that assumes you make no other changes which I find audiophiles rarely can avoid. :D

...I don't recall it being as long as 3-4 months. Perhaps a month for macro-level smoothness? But that's playing the 13+ hour Fritz Reiner box set *every* night, and whatever else during the day. So that gets you easily in the 450+ hour range, for reference. Seems about right for what I recall here. Good Luck!

Based on the size of the cap bank I'm thinking a 3 to 4 month run in for the Extreme?
Marc
IIRC Emile commented 1000 hours of break-in are needed for the Extreme

IIRC Emile commented 1000 hours of break-in are needed for the Extreme
What's painless about the 1000 hours is that the Extreme sounds great out of the box and continues to get better

Question about power cords for the Extreme.

Several companies (Audioquest, Audience, etc) make 2 types of power cords: high powered (mainly for amps) and source (for source components). The high powered are designed for variable current loads.

Which of these are better suited for the Extreme? Does the Extreme produce a variable current load?
I recommend the high current and ideally give the Extreme its own circuit, its power supply is like 400VA

FWIW, here, the Extreme benefited from its own dedicated 20amp 10awg outlet to great effect. Also preferring Nordost Odin1 over Odin2 power cord, again in my system, fwiw, etc. My a/b/a/b comps concluded the Extreme loves the juice. And as has been said/experienced, comps are tricky as the Extreme needs at least 3 days to re-optimize after full power shut down (back switch off). Enjoy!

Last edited:
@Emile and Taiko team

Since the OS update and with XDMS around the corner, I went back to using Roon after an over 2 year use of TAS. There is no question in my mind that it is the sexy platform of Roon that keeps users glued and always complaining about Roon updates effects on SQ

Well a few days ago I just had to go back to TAS and man was I astonished. IMHO, TAS even after the OS update which created an uptick to Roon continues to perform as good "or better" than Roon

Im sticking with TAS once again until XDMS is released. It sure lacks the interface of Roon but my bet is XDMS will not only equal Roon but will leave Roon in its rear view mirror

April showers, will bring May flowers.......and XDMS :p

@Emile and Taiko team

Since the OS update and with XDMS around the corner, I went back to using Roon after an over 2 year use of TAS. There is no question in my mind that it is the sexy platform of Roon that keeps users glued and always complaining about Roon updates effects on SQ

Well a few days ago I just had to go back to TAS and man was I astonished. IMHO, TAS even after the OS update which created an uptick to Roon continues to perform as good "or better" than Roon

Im sticking with TAS once again until XDMS is released. It sure lacks the interface of Roon but my bet is XDMS will not only equal Roon but will leave Roon in its rear view mirror

April showers, will bring May flowers.......and XDMS :p
Out of laziness, I have not gone back to TAS, but after reading your comment I will give it a shot.

Reactions: oldmustang
...before purchasing the Extreme a little over a year ago, my comments to Emile were: No HQPlayer and no Roon. I specifically wanted the tight integration of the Extreme and all related software and hardware from Taiko. I am still on TAS and it sounds great.

I have no idea who runs Roon and what sonic goals they consider important. However, I do know that Emile and the Taiko Team has SQ as the apex of their development objectives. That is in accord with my own goals. SQ rules. Roon, schmoon...

Out of laziness, I have not gone back to TAS, but after reading your comment I will give it a shot.
Me either, Ed. but I agree -- time to revisit this now that I've settled in on my choice of Taiko USB drivers.

Probably a good rule of thumb to enjoy what you have but every once in a while to go back and check tweaks and such just to be sure. Particularly as other parts of the system evolve.

Now all I have to do is follow my own advice!

Steve Z

After the OS and driver update was installed I listened to Roon for several days. I then went back to TAS and haven’t gone back to Roon since. TAS still sounds better.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing