Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
It sounds they see it different :

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2797-jplay-femto-on-a-20k-eur-music-server/?hl=taiko

JPLAY FEMTO on a 20k EUR music server
Started by Marcin_gps , Feb 18 2019 10:57 AM
Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
#1 JPLAY FEMTO on a 20k EUR music server: post #1 Marcin_gps
JPLAY team
Administrators

3,278 posts
Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:57 AM
JPLAY FEMTO was chosen as the playback software for the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme 20,000EUR music server.

Feb 18, 2019 was a long time ago !

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
So if you stream music and you want bit-perfect only, there is no point(reason) to use JPlay classic or femto? Or JRivers or HQplay for that matter?
Another thing I don’t get is the computer’s clock. If you use USB asynchronous dac. Why does the clock matter in the computer?
Thanks ??

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
So if you stream music and you want bit-perfect only, there is no point(reason) to use JPlay classic or femto? Or JRivers or HQplay for that matter?

Back in February, there was quite a SQ gap between Roon doing the track serving and JPlay Femto Server doing the track serving so there was a SQ reason to use JPlay

HQ Player is unsurpassed for PCM to DSD upsampling and conversion, so if you have a DSD DAC HQ Player is definitely worth trying out

JRiver is a jack of all trades, audio and video, requires a bigger Windows OS and is consequently SQ handicapped

Another thing I don’t get is the computer’s clock. If you use USB asynchronous dac. Why does the clock matter in the computer?
Thanks ??

The frequency stability and the low frequency phase noise of the clock plays a significant role in shaping the RF emissions coming from the clock oscillator

These RF emissions get everywhere and have an audible effect on the sound quality of the playback.

So USB DAC’s with asynchronous receivers are still very sensitive to the RF emissions coming from clocks / oscillators even though the bitstream is error free and accurately timed

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
So your saying it is the quality of the computers(servers) clock that matter? Low RF causing? Not the accuracy’s?

The clocks in digital equipment are fixed frequency carrier wave radio transmitters with carrier frequencies in the megahertz to gigahertz RF band.

The carrier wave, when it's steady, is benign, but when it's not steady with low frequency (audio band) phase noise or rippling power supply current and voltage modulating the carrier wave, then you are getting audio band noise / disturbances transmitted by the carrier wave that becomes audible when it is detected by a transistor, tube or coil any where in the signal path or power supplies

With clocking, everything matters. Frequency stability, phase noise, steady power supply voltages, vibration isolation. The bit integrity and bit timing is all good, but the RF soup has audible side effects

How the above helps in seeing how non digital RF/EMF has a significant SQ influence

XiaoBlackcat

Aug 27, 2019
No, Jriver is not supported.
Hi! I really like the design of SGM Extreme Server and I think it is a gorgeous piece of art. To learn more about it I found some pictures of the inside structure of this unit, and there are a few things which make me feel a little curious.
I found that on the main part of the server, the motherboard, there is no USB/AES/network bridge or card of any kind. Instead, you chose to use the USB output on the original motherboard. Is there any specific reason to not design and use a separate output for the server? Also, I noticed that there is no clock installed in the server. I have heard that the clock on the motherboard can be a big problem when it comes to SQ, and some server manufacture chose to install a separate clock to fix it. I wonder if there are some other ways to solve this problem? My last problem is that is there any specific reason to choose a XEON motherboard instead of a Z390 or X299 motherboard (I suppose the SQ of XEON motherboard is superior, but not sure why)?
These questions are just from curiosity and I mean no offense at all. I will be grateful if you would like to answer my questions. Thank you!

Best regards,

Xiao

Last edited:

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi! I really like the design of SGM Extreme Server and I think it is a gorgeous piece of art. To learn more about it I found some pictures of the inside structure of this unit, and there are a few things which make me feel a little curious.
I found that on the main part of the server, the motherboard, there is no USB/AES/network bridge or card of any kind. Instead, you chose to use the USB output on the original motherboard. Is there any specific reason to not design and use a separate output for the server? Also, I noticed that there is no clock installed in the server. I have heard that the clock on the motherboard can be a big problem when it comes to SQ, and some server manufacture chose to install a separate clock to fix it. I wonder if there are some other ways to solve this problem? My last problem is that is there any specific reason to choose a XEON motherboard instead of a Z390 or X299 motherboard (I suppose the SQ of XEON motherboard is superior, but not sure why)?
These questions are just from curiosity and I mean no offense at all. I will be grateful if you would like to answer my questions. Thank you!

Best regards,

Xiao

Hi Xiao,

We have been there, done that LoL

In the SGM and SGM Evo, we had a fancy OCXO, with a very low noise power supply with good results for 2016 - 2018. We had some theories about why the sound improved, but it turned out that our speculative theories were wrong. Now that we have a better understanding about what is going on, Emile has been able to implement a motherboard clock / timing solution that sonically beats what was implemented in the SGM and SGM Evo

Similarly what Emile has been able to achieve with dual CPU Xeon is way ahead of any thing he could achieve with Z 370 / 390.

We tried Xnn a long time ago, and it was seriously disappointing

XiaoBlackcat

Aug 27, 2019
Hi Xiao,

We have been there, done that LoL

In the SGM and SGM Evo, we had a fancy OCXO, with a very low noise power supply with good results for 2016 - 2018. We had some theories about why the sound improved, but it turned out that our speculative theories were wrong. Now that we have a better understanding about what is going on, Emile has been able to implement a motherboard clock / timing solution that sonically beats what was implemented in the SGM and SGM Evo

Similarly what Emile has been able to achieve with dual CPU Xeon is way ahead of any thing he could achieve with Z 370 / 390.

We tried Xnn a long time ago, and it was seriously disappointing
Thanks for your detailed reply! I am sorry that I didn't check previous SGM servers. I think it is a great achievement to be able to solve the clocking problem on the motherboard!

Best regards,

Xiao Liu

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
I have completed most of the tests I intended to conduct.

1) The SFP modules dominate the results. Whether SFP (1Gb) or SFP+ (10Gb), Startech SFP modules sound by far the best to me, with the best colour saturation and more contrast then the others, they also consistently capture more atmosphere / ambiance and create a more 3-dimensional sound. Single mode sounds better then multi mode. Longer range sounds better then shorter. Please note that officially 40 and 80km ranges need attenuators on shorter ranges to reduce laser transmission power. I have been using 80km modules without attenuators for around 9-10 months now without issues but cannot make any guarantees about longevity.

2) Connecting the server through a dedicated switch, not shared with other devices is a very clear step up in sound quality, a FMC (Fibre Media Converter) accomplishes the same thing. This is nothing new, a lot of audiophiles are already using stacked switches.

3) Creating a separate subnet for your streaming environment can be beneficial. This is more advanced to setup. The easiest way is to use 2 routers, 1 serving your streaming network, the other your home network. When using a submask of 255.255.255.0 you can create 2 subnets by for example placing your streaming devices in 192.168.1.x and your other network devices in 192.168.2.x. You can also go more advanced by means of a managed switch where you can create separate vlans which works out at about the same. The downside is more network devices have a negative effect again. Due to complexity of setup and unpredictable results, I do not recommend going here unless you enjoy playing around with this.

4) The Netgear nighthawk pro gaming xr700 router has some "cool" features like prioritising traffic to your server, but it just does not sound good, and I have spend a full day trying all possible configurations.

5) As for 1Gb versus 10Gb versus 25Gb, ultimately I get the best results from the earlier recommended 1Gb setup, Startech SFP1000ZXST SFP Single Mode 1550nm 80km modules, with the Startech ET91000SFP2 Fibre Media Converter. My best performing 10Gb setup so far is Startech SFP10GBLRST SFP+ Single mode 1310nm 10km modules with a Planet XT-705A FMC which converts 10Gb SFP+ to 1Gb copper ethernet. Interestingly better then several 10G switches I tried. Again SFP modules dominate the outcome, the 10Gb equivalent Startech SFP modules cost around 2000 each, I did not try those and I don't plan to. There are some interesting looking QNAP 10Gb switches on presale right now, I will likely order one of those and run some more tests.

Concluding, my earlier recommendation stands. 10Gb has potential, but there's no affordable configuration available right now outperforming the recommended 1Gb setup. Looking forward to testing the upcoming uptone ether regen and qnap switches.

To add some context, do not overthink all of this, I replaced some Furutech spades and KLEI rca plugs with Bocchino connectors, they have made a far bigger difference then any of the configurations tested above.

Just got a pair of 1G StarTech SFPs yesterday. Two Clones Audion audio graded switches are used in the system and two SFPs are used to connect these 2 switches. And the performance of these 2 SFPs is almost exactly the same what have described. It is much much better than the one previously used.
Thanks for the sharing.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Hello.

Just wanted to say kudos to Emile @Taiko Audio on the SGM Extreme. I've just read through all 58 pages of this thread, and I've got to say that his approach resonates with my own far more modest efforts. I hope some day to experience this box in my system, but until then, I'll continue to lurk and learn.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hello.

Just wanted to say kudos to Emile @Taiko Audio on the SGM Extreme. I've just read through all 58 pages of this thread, and I've got to say that his approach resonates with my own far more modest efforts. I hope some day to experience this box in my system, but until then, I'll continue to lurk and learn.

Lurking around here can prove expensive :)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello.

Thank you and welcome to the What's Best Forum. If you are the same Austinpop as on the Audiophilestyle Forum I would characterize your efforts as beyond modest. One of the driving forces moving the technology forward would be more appropriate.

Reactions: austinpop

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Just got a pair of 1G StarTech SFPs yesterday. Two Clones Audion audio graded switches are used in the system and two SFPs are used to connect these 2 switches. And the performance of these 2 SFPs is almost exactly the same what have described. It is much much better than the one previously used.
Thanks for the sharing.

From my experience so far, the SFP modules are the single most influential components of a fiber network setup. Second is the server side SFP network card, third place goes to the switch / fmc.

The Startech 1G 1550nm SM 80km modules continue to give me the best midrange density and least high frequency glare. 10G SFP+ modules are so far all considerable brighter sounding. You can use these at 1G speeds and they still have this brighter signature. I have ordered several more (exotic) 10G SFP+ modules in an attempt to find a module with a satisfying tonal balance. There is a benefit to be had from running 10G network speeds, resolution is higher, and interestingly it reduces the delta between Qobuz and Tidal playback quality.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
In Korea, W20SE vs SGM Extreme comparison test was finished.

10 Korean audiophiles all said SGM Extreme quality is absolutely higher.

W20SE is much more than W20, but there is big difference with two music servers.

By this movies, interest about W20SE was decreased critically

and SGM Extreme awareness is much more higher.

I think to make W30 will be very difficult.

These members final opinions are that Aurender's reputation will be lost more and more.

Actually this comparison is meaningless I think.

Enjoy it~!

https://cafe.naver.com/hifikorea/98121

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing