Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Do Roon and Jplay work together?

Yes, Roon and JPLAY Femto are used together.

HQPlayer can be also used to SGM Extreme, but sound quality is much
I am interested in how users are connecting their Extreme to their DAC and created a poll

Almost users use USB cables.

Extreme has AES/EBU or Dual AES/EBU options.

At least, Korean Extreme users all use USB Cables.

Light Harmonic 20G Korean Custom USB cable and Signature are popular.

And I sell Skogrand Beethoven USB cable.

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
How about intona ultimate ?
Did you try it in comparison to the others ?

Emile uses Intona Ultimate.

And I sent 20G DE (My company name : DIGITUS Labs Edition ===> DE) Signature to Emile.

He is very busy and didn't test two cables yet.

When he finish comparison test, he will post his opinion.

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
H
Emile uses Intona Ultimate.

Esotar,
How is the Skogrand Beethoven USB, very expensive and reportedly very good?

Do you acheive much better results, many may be finding usb connection very accurate but less musical over xlr or bnc.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Extreme is connected 2 ways:
USB to MSB PRO USB via FTA Callisto USB cable
And via MSB Renderer

Still trying power cables
Which connection for the MSB DAC sounded better? I'm in the market for an MSB Select 2 DAC ...
Also considering adding an Extreme server ....

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as i've previously written about, in my system (Extreme-MSB Select II) the MSB Pro USB interface was superior to the MSB Renderer v2. this was with the Curious USB cable.

then i removed the Renderer from my Select II dac and that was another small improvment.

then i switched the Curious USB to the Gobel USB cable. this was a larger step up than the one from the Pro USB to the Renderer.

keep in mind that my Renderer v2 was using copper Ethernet. later i switched to fiber and that was better. that might have effected the original preference for the Pro USB. but (there is always a 'but') the Gobel USB made such a huge difference that it dwarfed those other one's......in my particular system. so using a superior USB cable seems like it might be significant. and that the Extreme allows optimal use of the USB.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
as i've previously written about, in my system (Extreme-MSB Select II) the MSB Pro USB interface was superior to the MSB Renderer v2. this was with the Curious USB cable.

then i removed the Renderer from my Select II dac and that was another small improvment.

then i switched the Curious USB to the Gobel USB cable. this was a larger step up than the one from the Pro USB to the Renderer.

keep in mind that my Renderer v2 was using copper Ethernet. later i switched to fiber and that was better. that might have effected the original preference for the Pro USB. but (there is always a 'but') the Gobel USB made such a huge difference that it dwarfed those other one's......in my particular system. so using a superior USB cable seems like it might be significant. and that the Extreme allows optimal use of the USB.

I am not surprised by your findings Mike. I would also have bet that USB is the way to go with the MSB USB Pro Interface especially with a high quality USB cable

Reactions: CKKeung

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Does this mean that you actually use the Roon program to play music on the Extreme?

You run Roon Core on the Extreme and control it with an Ipad OR you can play files that you store on the Extreme. Emile supplies the Extreme with Roon Core loaded, you just put in your Roon login information and hit play.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
You run Roon Core on the Extreme and control it with an Ipad OR you can play files that you store on the Extreme. Emile supplies the Extreme with Roon Core loaded, you just put in your Roon login information and hit play.

But keep in mind roon is NOT playing in extreme.
Jplay femto is the engine that plays music in extreme

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Does this mean that you actually use the Roon program to play music on the Extreme?

That is correct. Roon is used for music playback.

From within Roon you can select an output/driver where to play to. This can be a networked device, or a device directly connected to the server by USB or AES/EBU.

Jplay classic is a driver with sound enhancing features, included with the Extreme, which can optionally sit between Roon and the system output (can not be used with networked devices).

Jplay femto is an upnp server and renderer, which is also included with the Extreme, but not used. If you where to use Jplay femto, you would not be using Roon.

Is there something we should know ?
Could you please share your experience ?
Thx

You would not make use of any Jplay feature if you are using a networked device, like the MSB renderer.

Reactions: onsionsi

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
That is correct. Roon is used for music playback.

From within Roon you can select an output/driver where to play to. This can be a networked device, or a device directly connected to the server by USB or AES/EBU.

Jplay classic is a driver with sound enhancing features, included with the Extreme, which can optionally sit between Roon and the system output (can not be used with networked devices).

Jplay femto is an upnp server and renderer, which is also included with the Extreme, but not used. If you where to use Jplay femto, you would not be using Roon.

You would not make use of any Jplay feature if you are using a networked device, like the MSB renderer.

Thanks for making this clear.
So that could be set depending on the DAC you are using and type of connector selected.
For TotalDAC 12 or 24 used with Intona 3.0 via USB ( just like your setup) is Jplay femto or other output Preferreed ?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thanks for making this clear.
So that could be set depending on the DAC you are using and type of connector selected.
For TotalDAC 12 or 24 used with Intona 3.0 via USB ( just like your setup) is Jplay femto or other output Preferreed ?

Jplay FEMTO is not an output, its a UPNP library manager and renderer, you cannot select it from within Roon as an output, it would entirely replace Roon when used. Presently it's not being used by any Extreme owner. Jplay CLASSIC is an ASIO driver you can select in Roon as an output, this is being used by most Extreme owners.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Jplay CLASSIC is an ASIO driver you can select in Roon as an output, this is being used by most Extreme owners.

It sounds they see it different :

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2797-jplay-femto-on-a-20k-eur-music-server/?hl=taiko

JPLAY FEMTO on a 20k EUR music server
Started by Marcin_gps , Feb 18 2019 10:57 AM