Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

I second everyone who’s suggesting not to drop folder view. It’s the only way to properly and quickly view different versions of the same work, especially for different masters and formats of the same work.

If the folder navigation is removed, I think I'll have to go back to TAS or Roon. By the way, do not forget those of us who listen to classical music, in addition to Artist, we will have to be able to search by composer.

If the folder navigation is removed, I think I'll have to go back to TAS or Roon. By the way, do not forget those of us who listen to classical music, in addition to Artist, we will have to be able to search by composer.

Another alternative, if they absolutely have to drop folder navigation temporarily (and I hope they don't) is to stay with the current v5 of the alpha until folder navigation is restored/fixed.

Personally, I couldn't give up the SQ improvement or the folder navigation, even with the track order bug.

Yes, losing the sound quality of XDMS can be very painful, but a minimum search capacity, it has to have no matter how alpha it is. Well it's alpha and you can't search by composer, ok no problem. In Qobuz you enter Lorin Maazel as search criteria and it returns 20 Albums (in the Qobuz app I got bored of counting, when I was going for 150 Albums), Ok it doesn't matter either. We don't even talk about Idagio, it doesn't matter either, it will be solved. We removed the navigation by folder, oh my God, what is left?

I want to delve into XDMS but with my limited computer skills I'll wait. For several weeks now I've been using Roon only for functionality. I went back to TAS today and the SQ is undeniably, not close, not remotely close, better than ROON in MY SYSTEM. Roon seems to have a veil over the music. BTW I talked with Fred, I'm number 8 on the Horizons list in Fred's territory. This should be good fun...

The discord chat is great.

I second everyone who’s suggesting not to drop folder view. It’s the only way to properly and quickly view different versions of the same work, especially for different masters and formats of the same work.
There is no way Folder View is ever going to disappear !!

It’s fundamental to the way the XDMS provides alternative navigation routes to locate one’s music

Directory tree walking aka Folder View will always be there

Thanks, Nils, if this is correct, might sit tight for time being.
When you hear XDMS you will forget about Roon and TAS. Ed, thank you for installing XDMS for me late at night your time when you weren’t even home.

The difference vs TAS and Roon is not subtle! Wow, it’s insanely good! Probably the best analogy is moving from the balcony to the orchestra level in a live performance. There’s a new level of naturalness, timing, reverberation, and fluidity that neither Roon nor TAS has. XDMS is a Game-Changer!!!!

Last edited:
When you hear XDMS you will forget about Roon and TAS. Ed, thank you for installing XDMS for me late at night your time when you weren’t even home.

The difference vs TAS and Roon is not subtle! Wow, it’s insanely good! Probably the best analogy is moving from the balcony to the orchestra level in a live performance. There’s a new level of naturalness, timing, reverberation, and fluidity that neither Roon nor TAS has. XDMS is a Game-Changer!!!!
To me it's a shame that not all Extreme users have bought into TAS let alone XDMS due to the alpha nature of the product. However if it is SQ that one is searching for the very best , IMHO they really should install it and do the comparison themselves. There has yet to be one post that states Roon or TAS is better than XDMS.

I agree. It is a game changer

To me it's a shame that not all Extreme users have bought into TAS let alone XDMS due to the alpha nature of the product. However if it is SQ that one is searching for the very best , IMHO they really should install it and do the comparison themselves. There has yet to be one post that states Roon or TAS is better than XDMS.

I agree. It is a game changer

Absolutely. The alpha crosses a threshold into another land.

Ed installed XDMS for me yesterday evening. He said he had 20 minutes before going to dinner so he had time to install it. Wow!!! Ed, I hope you weren't late? Thank you for taking the time to get me up and running on alpha XDMS.

This is my first post, although I've had my Extreme for almost a year and have been watching this thread. I'm a DAVE owner, using SRC-DX, DC4/ARC6, and the new board that @nenon sent me that installs in the DAVE to lower impedance of the DC power cable. A noticeable improvement in lowering the noise floor.

Alpha XDMS! What can I say that hasn't been already been said? It's all true! It's like nothing I've heard before in digital. The first thing that came to my mind was purity. Everything sounds so clean and natural. A really lowered noise floor. All the instruments really stand out. For the first time in digital I'm hearing the quick stop and start of transients that I associate with vinyl. Speed, dynamics, reverb, spaciousness, and others I can't think of, are all improved. I was a TAS user and this is better. At first I thought, like some others, that it sounded a little crisp in the treble and maybe a touch thin? I don't really notice that now. May because it's so clean and pure....?

What could be better for a first post than to talk about alpha XDMS? And this is only the early stages!!!

Does anyone know how to get XDMS to update the library? I just added a few new albums to the HD. I tried the arrows in the upper right corner and force quit the app…
Edit: I see there’s a Library Scan option. Should new files go into the Import folder? And where is that located?

Does anyone know how to get XDMS to update the library? I just added a few new albums to the HD. I tried the arrows in the upper right corner and force quit the app…

Settings> Library scan> Clear XDMS library and scan.

Reactions: John T and Zeotrope
No, but you shouldn't need to. Anything in Qobuz that is identified as a favorite should automatically show up when you load My Qobuz.

No, but you shouldn't need to. Anything in Qobuz that is identified as a favorite should automatically show up when you load My Qobuz.
How do I load either My Qobuz or My Tidal? Nothing happens when I tap either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing