Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Definitely not

I understand your comments but everything that you are seeking can be found on the Taiko audio website. Also the same information has been posted here many times by ChristiaanP
Indeed, for those who may be unaware of this, I recently added a Downloads page on the Taiko website where I maintain the latest versions of all documents (current and future products) as well as software for download.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/taiko-audio-downloads

Anyone’s large DSD256 files still truncating eg. Kind of Blue?

Emile
They must have their bps installed?
Mn

Just to add another data point, after extensive testings the Taiko switch sounds better without a reclocked double Buffalo switch upstream in my system. At first it can be misleading and the added upstream buffalo seems to add a darker background, but it actually constricts transients. The Taiko switch is a perfect balancing act between neutrality and slam, anything added to it seems to pivot into an excess, or gets into his way as it is impressively fast. It’s I suppose the conundrum of low power/low noise without detrimental effects on performance solved, a true ‘tour de force’!

Just to add another data point, after extensive testings the Taiko switch sounds better without a reclocked double Buffalo switch upstream in my system. At first it can be misleading and the added upstream buffalo seems to add a darker background, but it actually constricts transients. The Taiko switch is a perfect balancing act between neutrality and slam, anything added to it seems to pivot into an excess, or gets into his way as it is impressively fast. It’s I suppose the conundrum of low power/low noise without detrimental effects on performance solved, a true ‘tour de force’!
this is only partially true . Tested all options extensively.
I still have 2 moded Buffalo upstream to isolate Access Point. This is a must.
But I agree on the other part meaning Direct DAC or ethernet cable from Router to Taiko switch..

Than you can eat your cake and have it too.

All above is true only until New Taiko Net card will arrive . Than will test it again,

Dear Emile
I tested extensively few access points and their settings .
I am very sad as there are AGAIN gigantic differences with every additional changes in settings .
Also the processor and memory size matters.
Tp Link 660 HD is so far best . Better than all Asus or Ubiquity APs I tested.
It is the same story when I started to ask for the Taiko switch and even more important for Taiko router .
This dreams are comming true now and I believe everyone of us is as happy as I am.
I wanted to thank you decided to dedicate part your time to this projects.

I will be asking you again to consider building the matching Taiko access point.
This will complete the ethernet part of the signal.
I am unable to test all options as have no deep knowlage you have.
But again here is a rabbit hole that needs exploration.
There are also clear and big advantages of isolating the access point that can be taking into cosideration when designing it.
WiFi is a very nasty noise source that needs to be blocked.
I cant think about anyone else doing it.
In Emile we trust.

i write this from memory, as i've send my totaldac back to france to be upgraded and my network card was limiting my listening to relatively short periods of time.

first off all, this is based on the first week (it was still burning in) and i was running both my first reclocker (sotm usb-aes/ebu) and taiko switch on wall wart supplies. MAGIC was reached for the first time with the extreme in my system, something i am certain is due to the lower noise floor allowing music to come out of the deepest quiet.

is this the best i've ever heard, well almost in some ways and definitely in another. the bass is now the best i have had in my system, and how the switch network card could possibly do that is a mystery to me. but it was absolutely obvious on every track i played.

as for the lower noise floor, soundstage and effortless detail, i once upon a time had sound a little better (really) but it was transient and i lost it (my speculation: hqplayer and rendu software kept changing and now we know how much sound quality is impacted by software, plus i was using battery power on both the sotm reclocker and the rendu streamer). the MAGIC was even spookier and i remember many times when i was startled to hear an instrument slowly come out of nowhere, or jump in faster than i had imagined possible. vocals had an intimacy that led me to believe i could hear the singer's emotions syllable by syllable............MAGIC.

i've been searching for that sound and after a long years long journey through experimentation as well as following the DIY gurus, my system got regularly better but still nowhere near MAGIC. after reading and researching obsessively, and giving extra weight to people whose ears appeared to align with mine, i hopped on the taiko train. my first experience with the extreme and TAS was promising, better than what i'd had, but still not MAGIC. after an initial stage of panic (and i have to admit disappointment), i realized that the journey was not yet over and Emile & al had much more to do. most importantly, they seemed to understand what they were doing and why!

as you all know, over time the usb card, then xdms, then the switch and network card have made significant enhancements to the sound quality, with more to come (e.g. router & bps & new xdms architecture). i am certain, now that we have crossed the threshold of MAGIC, that the joys of great music will only grow. i fully expect that this evolution path will exceed even the level of MAGIC i had heard years ago (by serendipity).

on friday, my DAC was sent back to france for an upgrade to the d1-triunity which promises further magical rewards.

in the meantime, with no DAC to use with the extreme, i'm finishing my taxes listening to my near-field system:
Clementine s/w on ubuntu NUC ==> hdmi to JVC 32" TV used as computer monitor (dac + amp + speakers).
not the highest end system i've ever heard but i'm enthralled and transported listening to 4/2/1973 on the 50th anniversary of what was my first ever grateful dead show at the Boston Garden.

p.s. preliminary tax status looks like both a federal and state refund..............i'm ready for that router!

Listen to the music play!

Small digression (might be used in Taiko marketing purposes :D)
IMG_3722.jpeg

Very tasty-looking! Just curious… aside from addressing the NIC temperature issue, have the upgraded heatsink and firmware brought any sound quality changes? :p
Indeed, the heatsink brings sonic improvements!

Here's what Emile reported a few days ago:

Heatsinks do not actually solve anything beyond a few degrees more headroom on the processor as the ambient temperature dominates the issue, maxing out at about a ~5C gain, but one particular design does actually improve sound quality. Because of the inconvenience caused by this problem and, well because it sounds better, and we know you all love heavy stuff (it's about 1 lbs), we have decided to supply this as a free upgrade.

Indeed, the heatsink brings sonic improvements!

Here's what Emile reported a few days ago:

Heatsinks do not actually solve anything beyond a few degrees more headroom on the processor as the ambient temperature dominates the issue, maxing out at about a ~5C gain, but one particular design does actually improve sound quality. Because of the inconvenience caused by this problem and, well because it sounds better, and we know you all love heavy stuff (it's about 1 lbs), we have decided to supply this as a free upgrade.

Looks like an exquisitely shaped faraday cage

We had our first hot day here and my card shut down for the first time in over a week. The room is usually between 65-68 F but today it is 70-72 and that is enough for it to stop working.

Can’t wait for the updated version.

We had our first hot day here and my card shut down for the first time in over a week. The room is usually between 65-68 F but today it is 70-72 and that is enough for it to stop working.

Can’t wait for the updated version.
Still looking good for shipping before the weekend. Reflashed and tested all the cards. “Heatsink” machining finished today. Finishing, mounting, packing left.

Emile
They must have their bps installed?
Mn
Gotta be honest. That was one of the most ill-timed Mahler 6th hammer blows I have ever heard. The percussionist was early and it would have completely ruined the effect of the piece for me hearing it live as it is the emotional high point of the symphony. (That's actually a perversion of what Mahler was trying to say since the piece is about a man who has lost everything so its really the emotional low point for him!) If it was being recorded, any respectable producer would not have allowed it to be commercialized. The hammer blow is supposed to be timed exactly at the same time as the cymbal clash and the climax of the other instruments. The percussionist missed the mark by quite a bit. Bernstein probably would have fired the guy on the spot. I've heard Tommy Igoe live at Birdland a few times with his Big Band. He's superb and has nothing to be jealous about!

Last edited:
My final tests today and my Sablon Audio ethernet cable definitely stays between the router and the switch, really remarkable how this cable sounds both detailed and organic at the same time. I am definitely biased though as I love the house sound, to take a grain of salt :).

My final tests today and my Sablon Audio ethernet cable definitely stays between the router and the switch, really remarkable how this cable sounds both detailed and organic at the same time. I am definitely biased though as I love the house sound, to take a grain of salt :).
What lenght is the Sablon you use?
I am asking as the lenght matters a lot .
I have 3 Sablon Ethernet cables but all are short .

Reactions: QuantumWave
What lenght is the Sablon you use?
I am asking as the lenght matters a lot .
I have 3 Sablon Ethernet cables but all are short .
I am using a 2m, I tried a 1m and it was a bit too incisive for my taste. 2m was good combination of smooth and precision.

Reactions: nuway

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing