Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Currently I have dedicated for audio ISP service (febre) with modem and Router .
Home is on totally separate Service with its own modem and router.

Could I use just one ISP service, one modem and one router when using Taiko router
and the SQ will be same as on totally separated chains ?

Should be roughly the same yes.

The network card has a new IP address. Have you discovered it?
And you do not have to run the script For the card to work

Last edited:
The network card has a new IP address. Have you discovered it?
For some reason its not finding the new IP and unable to connect. Waiting on Edward..

Reactions: Armsan
For some reason its not finding the new IP and unable to connect. Waiting on Edward..
Did you reboot the Extreme and turn your dac on and off?

How are you "looking" for the new IP address? Don't depend on XDMS for that. Use an app like Ping.

Reactions: Rhapsody
Yes, actually leaning towards including one to provide a complete plug&play package.
If I use my macbook to control the extreme via wired internet, I assume I need to configure a static route to be able to connect to the extreme (it's what I do today).

Will this compromise SQ? (I wonder if somehow that static routing, being controlled by the main (non-audio) router still, is detrimental)

Yes, a better solution would be to connect an USB drive to the Router which can serve as a NAS.
I use a MacBook Pro to burn CDs to the Extreme SSD and then copy to an NAS for backup. I do not use the NAS for playback. Is SQ affected by having the MacBook Pro and NAS connected to the Taiko router?

Currently I have dedicated for audio ISP service (febre) with modem and Router .
Home is on totally separate Service with its own modem and router.
Kris, I have the same model: separate fiber ISP for audio only. I connect a laptop for servicing the Extreme, and disconnect when finished, so typically, there is no non-audio traffic to manage. I plan to keep that model moving forward, but questions:
--Do you still turn off any service functionality for your audio network? Was it 5 GHz you didn't like at home?
--Do you still use hard-wired device for control head, or did you change back to WiFi? WiFi is so convenient and ubiquitous nearby from neighbors, so I haven't tried hard-wired connection to iPad myself. Thanks.

We installed Fing. Edward is attempting to figure out what is happening. Or why we are not seeing the Extreme in the network. I have no frigging clue! Card was simple to install. 10 hours of beautiful music yesterday and now this. Frustrated beyond a description....

Waiting to hear back from Edward, I inserted the old card and now I have music. ???? Faulty card????

I use a MacBook Pro to burn CDs to the Extreme SSD and then copy to an NAS for backup. I do not use the NAS for playback. Is SQ affected by having the MacBook Pro and NAS connected to the Taiko router?

Yes, as they will then increase network activity on the “audio” network.

Every powered on device connected to a network creates network activity.

Most mobile devices, like iphones, ipads or android devices even create network activity in “standby / screen switched off” mode.

If you power off your MacBook Pro during music playback it should not generate network activity, but your NAS will for sure.

If I use my macbook to control the extreme via wired internet, I assume I need to configure a static route to be able to connect to the extreme (it's what I do today).

Will this compromise SQ? (I wonder if somehow that static routing, being controlled by the main (non-audio) router still, is detrimental)

I’m thinking we should implement VNC and file share access port forwarding by default. The Extreme could be assigned a permanent IP address, always the same, on all routers. That adds the benefit of decreasing support load for us. Your VNC / file share access IP address from your home network would then become the IP address assigned to the Taiko router by your home network router.

Or you simply connect your Macbook Pro to the audio Wi-Fi access point if you want to copy music or access the Extremes desktop and disconnect when done.

I think I need to clarify network activity impact on sound quality. In a normal home setup with a X number of devices, smart TVs, streaming devices, desktop computers, notebooks, smartphones, tablets, smart lighting, smart household appliances, etc etc, adding more devices with a relatively small increase in total network activity is not that noticeable.

However when you create a new network for audio, using a dedicated router, with a bare minimum of devices, with overall very low activity, and the activity which is there is controlled on the router and connected devices, any additional device creating additional and uncontrolled network activity suddenly does become noticeable.

In my current setup for example (which is the setup on the earlier posted diagrams), I use both my iphone and my ipad to control my Extreme. If I have both connected to the dedicated audio Wi-Fi Access Point at the same time, it’s instantly noticeable. So I only connect one of the two to the Audio Wi-Fi and switch the other to the “Home” Wi-Fi when listening to music.

Kris, I have the same model: separate fiber ISP for audio only. I connect a laptop for servicing the Extreme, and disconnect when finished, so typically, there is no non-audio traffic to manage. I plan to keep that model moving forward, but questions:
--Do you still turn off any service functionality for your audio network? Was it 5 GHz you didn't like at home?
--Do you still use hard-wired device for control head, or did you change back to WiFi? WiFi is so convenient and ubiquitous nearby from neighbors, so I haven't tried hard-wired connection to iPad myself. Thanks.

I will also keep both ISP untill I test it myself if it is the same in one ISP v Two separate ISP or not.
I do turn off everythything I can including specific firewall settings That tend to keep processor on 10-15 % permanent activity . Once turned off the Dream machine pro has processor activity 3-4 % only,
That is a big difference in SQ. I also turned off routing ports And use only the 2 SFP ports with DAC cables and 1 WAN for modem.
All additional aps in dream machine pro are uninstalled .
the only one that is installed and active is network app.
I use both wifi and hard wire.
Unfortunate the 5 ghz I tested today is still horrible.
I keep 2,4 ghz most of the time , but for ultimate sound quality hard wire is much better.

During wifi use (2.4 ghz) I have to have 3 switches to isolate the access point And I still run long cables . That helps a lot.
I hate what wifi is doing to the sound .
I dont think current access points are acceptable for audio.

The only cure I see is Emile who could design and build the access point with proper
isolation and all audio chain focused things.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
I’m thinking we should implement VNC and file share access port forwarding by default. The Extreme could be assigned a permanent IP address, always the same, on all routers. That adds the benefit of decreasing support load for us. Your VNC / file share access IP address from your home network would then become the IP address assigned to the Taiko router by your home network router.

Or you simply connect your Macbook Pro to the audio Wi-Fi access point if you want to copy music or access the Extremes desktop and disconnect when done.
You are going to have on-line network classes for everyone:)

Reactions: marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing