Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
Based on Steve recommendations i orderd a TWL freedom ethernet to test, it should arrive on next week and i can compare with my exsiting shielded Dably meda ethernet cable, and AR quadrant triple C cable

I have done a test to compare with/without switch today, my system sounds much better with the Anszu D2 switch than the direct connect to router (Linger audio apodidae G router) or replaced by a non-expensive D-link switch, especially the imaging and the density of the music are much better with the ansuz D2 in loop, let me test it again with the freedom cable and report next week

Reactions: nonesup

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
FWIW: I also have a Freedom in my chain, upstream. I have had one in various places over the past two or so years. I like it where I don't need a long-run.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
FWIW: I also have a Freedom in my chain, upstream. I have had one in various places over the past two or so years. I like it where I don't need a long-run.
what do you consider a long run. My TWL Freedom ethernet is 8 meters and I have never once had an issue. It fits all of the criteria required as described many times by Emile

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
FWIW, my router to switch run is 50 feet. My setup sounds better with my switches than without. When Taiko releases their switch I will move to that.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Steve Williams

FWIW, my router to switch run is 50 feet. My setup sounds better with my switches than without. When Taiko releases their switch I will move to that.
Me too ....is your 50 feet of cable running visibly through the house or is it hidden somehow. If I had 50 feet of cable running visibly through the house my wife would not be a happy camper....nor would I for that matter

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Hey Steve! To clarify, my comment on length was NOT meant in any way to imply there was a limitation on the TWL ability to perform over distance.

I think of the product as a last-link connection, of a few feet, but that was MY limitation in thought.

I had a 1.5 M cable when I had switches adjacent to audio gear. When I moved all network gear upstairs on its own circuit, I ran a BJC Cat 6 (and others-MM and SM fiber and another unshielded cable) to make the 35' run.

Actually, that other cable is a 35' run of TWL ethernet cable made by Dave of PIAudio fame, but sheathed in a different mesh, with Telegartner connectors.

I tried using that when Emile suggested we re-try copper, but there was a connectivity issue, so I swapped to my BJC. I have to troubleshoot the fixture connection, which I suspect is the issue.

So, in summary: I love TWL ethernet cable for whatever distance, and have one myself, albeit made by Dave not Pete (they know each other in some professional capacity). I also have three TWL power cables in use here. Big fan.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Me too ....is your 50 feet of cable running visibly through the house or is it hidden somehow. If I had 50 feet of cable running visibly through the house my wife would not be a happy camper....nor would I for that matter

It is hidden except for the last 8 feet but the jacket is gray as is the carpet so you really can't see it.

Steve Williams

so you don’t see the cable but rather a 42’ conduit.

there is no way that would ever happen in my house. My router is on the first floor My sound system is on the second floor. I stream wireless from my router to a satellite in my sound room and I wire Ethernet from the satellite to the Extreme. Sounds damn good.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hi Steve, I see you also have satellite. The price we pay for seclusion! So you go from modem to router to Extreme? I'm with Viasat, curious who your provider is? Eventually Spectrum will be out here, Rural NC. Only problem I'm 2000' off of the road, I'm certain I will have to jump through hoops, and pay, to get it trenched back to the house. Supposedly 300' is their max.

Steve Williams

Hi Steve, I see you also have satellite. The price we pay for seclusion! So you go from modem to router to Extreme? I'm with Viasat, curious who your provider is? Eventually Spectrum will be out here, Rural NC. Only problem I'm 2000' off of the road, I'm certain I will have to jump through hoops, and pay, to get it trenched back to the house. Supposedly 300' is their max.
Cox is our provider

I use a separate cable modem with LPS as well as a LPS on my satellite. I stream wireless from router on first floor to satellite on second floor in my sound room and run the Cable direct from satellite to Extreme

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
Another interesting feature we’re looking into implementing is to route your Ipad output through the router to the Extreme. That would enable streaming youtube video sound to your system amongst others. That part would however only work for Extreme / XDMS owners.

Very nice! I really look forward to this. Would be literally for Ipad only or also accessible via Windows or Android devices?

P.S.: Hopefully my Extreme will sit on a Daiza platform on the bottom shelf of my stand by Monday, super excited! :D

Reactions: MusicFellow

Christiaan Punter

Patience is a super power...

My Extreme is in the states with a potential delivery on Monday.

Marc
Exciting times ahead! :)

Reactions: ctydwn

Christiaan Punter

These look to be shielded. Isn't the recommendation with Extreme, UTP (un-sheilded) ethernet?
The basic recommendation as a neutral starting point is indeed to use unshielded cables. But don't worry too much about it as it's not a strict requirement.

Reactions: wil

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...and some shielded cables are "floating" shield. Not connected at termination connectors.

Excerpt from Avanti:
"The concept is to attach the overall braided shield within the cable to the shell of the RJ-45 Connector on the source / sending end of the cable assembly only. We then float (detach) the shield on the receiving / destination end of the cable and connector shell. In other words, there isn't continuity between the two metallic connector shells on either end of the assembled cable. This design creates an "upstream" drain point for RFI/EMI noise & interference without the added risk of tying dis-similar chassis ground potentials together between say, an Internet router and a music streamer or server."

Reactions: QuantumWave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing